Do Canon's competitors have something like CHDK? Time Lapse, etc?

Old September 8th 10, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Crash!

Default Do Canon's competitors have something like CHDK? Time Lapse, etc?

SMS wrote:

On 9/7/2010 1:00 PM, Irwell wrote:

I'm really puzzled
as to why our favorite troll is so upset that I contributed to the
documentation and added some camera specific information. If he's so
gung-ho about CHDK, you'd think he'd be thrilled that people are helping
out!

You mean the two sock puppets using X-Newsreader: Forte Agent
4.1/32.1088 ?? ...that constantly calls everybody trolls?

It's what happens when minor delusions of grandeur meet
a highly bifurcated world view, and the insecurities
caused by low esteem, both self, and his cause.
You can imagine the friction of grandeur fantasies plus
low self esteem. Why does he hate you?
If you're not his mini-Me, your 're obviously against
him. ...a kind of xenophobia. Prolly a Republickin
with tendencies towards dittoheadism or other oversimplified
world views common in cults.

Old September 8th 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 9/8/2010 12:12 PM, Crash! wrote:

SMS wrote:

On 9/7/2010 1:00 PM, Irwell wrote:

I'm really puzzled
as to why our favorite troll is so upset that I contributed to the
documentation and added some camera specific information. If he's so
gung-ho about CHDK, you'd think he'd be thrilled that people are helping
out!

You mean the two sock puppets using X-Newsreader: Forte Agent
4.1/32.1088 ?? ...that constantly calls everybody trolls?

Hey, don't complain about that. There's information in those headers
that makes filtering him very easy despite his constant name changes.

It's what happens when minor delusions of grandeur meet
a highly bifurcated world view, and the insecurities
caused by low esteem, both self, and his cause.

It looks to be extreme jealousy of people that actually have knowledge
of the subject, but perhaps it's also jealousy of those that can afford
a D-SLR. We see the same thing with the other main troll on
rec.photo.digital.
Old September 8th 10, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Superzooms Still Win

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:54:20 -0700, Crash! wrote:

To freeze a hummingbird's wings
in a closeup, were's talking around 1/10,000 or faster.
So if it could be lit, and it could, CHDK could make
a cool pic, but isn't strobe easier, faster,....and
off the shelf?

A photo of a hummingbird shot at 1/10,000th of a second in sunlight using
available-light alone was already posted many times.

The author of that photo gave me permission to repost it whenever I wanted.

Did you miss all the times it was posted?

Awww... too bad.

BTW: I wrote 99% of all the documentation for CHDK. They merely used my
documentation and then compiled it into the PDF that's available now. Well,
the included only part of it. They left off all the pages I wrote for the
µBASIC tutorial, how to design grids (nearly all of them on the Wiki done
by myself), and left out quite a bit of information from the 3 original
user guides (for various builds) that is still applicable to the latest
version. You really need to dig into all the older documentation pages to
get the full scope of what CHDK can do. (I don't have to, I already know
all that I wrote about it.) As well as wrote many of the most popular
scripts for it, many of them used as the foundation for better scripts that
came after (like Fudgey's "Improved" Motion Detection script that I
designed the foundation for).

So, you see ... you ****ed off the wrong person if you wanted to know any
real information about CHDK. But you go ahead, get advice from the SMS
troll that knows absolutely nothing about how to use it. This should be
quite entertaining to watch!

LOL!

Old September 8th 10, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ofnuts

On 08/09/2010 22:05, J. Clarke wrote:
On 9/8/2010 12:15 PM, Robert Sneddon wrote:
In , Ofnuts
writes
On 08/09/2010 14:32, Robert Sneddon wrote:

Using a CHDK-equipped Canon at a very high shutter speed, a flash is
not required and simple continuous high-intensity floodlighting of the
scene will suffice.

Indeed. Instant suntan! Or opening a new KFC (Kentucky Flashed Chicken)?

Set up the scene, switch on the lights, take the pictures, switch off
the lights, job done without frying anything. Better yet if you can use
strong daylight to light the scene you want to shoot as there's a lot
more photons than pretty much any studio lighting rig can provide, and
they're free.

A well-lit office or shop runs to about 500-700 lux whereas regular
daylight is 10,000 lux and bright direct sunlight is about 100,000 lux.
A rough calculation suggests that a 1/40,000 second exposure would work
for a sunlit scene for F/4 and ISO 200, possibly with a reflector to add
side-illumination to the target to reduce shadowing. No frying required.

This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7FMki6dlKg looks to be in
the 50-100,000 frames/sec range and seems to have been shot with natural
light. Here's another
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Num9TR7wlrw&feature=related.

The most impressive thing in that shot is the torque required to rotate
the camera fast (and accurately!) enough. I find it much more mysterious
than the lighting.

--
Bertrand
Old September 8th 10, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Superzooms Still Win

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 15:18:48 -0700 (PDT), DanP
wrote:

On Sep 8, 9:14*pm, Ofnuts wrote:

At ISO200, full sunlight is EV17. f/4, 1/40000 would be slightly above
EV19. Still four times more light than high sun.

--
Bertrand

1/40,000 sec with CHDK is possible only at f/8 only. Useless, use
strobes instead.

DanP

Useless to someone with severe thinking limitations only.

Old September 9th 10, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On 9/8/2010 6:18 PM, DanP wrote:
On Sep 8, 9:14 pm, wrote:

At ISO200, full sunlight is EV17. f/4, 1/40000 would be slightly above
EV19. Still four times more light than high sun.

--
Bertrand

1/40,000 sec with CHDK is possible only at f/8 only. Useless, use
strobes instead.

So how many strobes does it take to light up an artillery range?
Old September 9th 10, 05:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Superzooms Still Win

wrote:

On Sep 8, 9:14*pm, Ofnuts wrote:

At ISO200, full sunlight is EV17. f/4, 1/40000 would be slightly above
EV19. Still four times more light than high sun.

--
Bertrand

1/40,000 sec with CHDK is possible only at f/8 only. Useless, use
strobes instead.

DanP

Useless to someone with severe thinking limitations only.

Do you have a heavy degraded 1/40,000 sec photo with no EXIF data,
half a megapixel in size, that you can post and delete before I can
see it?

DanP

Sure do!

But I much prefer an HDR image I've taken in the shadows of a cave looking
out, showing the shadowed textures inside the recesses of the cave out to
the sunspots on the sun during sunset. Requiring bracketed exposures from 4
seconds to 1/40,000th second.

But then; since you're so intelligent, creative, and such an experienced
"pro" photographer; surely you can see why those speeds are needed for an
at-one-time-impossible shot like that. Right?

No?

Yeah, that's what I figured.

Old September 9th 10, 05:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-09-08 16:08:25 -0700, "J. Clarke" said:

On 9/8/2010 6:18 PM, DanP wrote:
On Sep 8, 9:14 pm, wrote:

At ISO200, full sunlight is EV17. f/4, 1/40000 would be slightly above
EV19. Still four times more light than high sun.

--
Bertrand

1/40,000 sec with CHDK is possible only at f/8 only. Useless, use
strobes instead.

So how many strobes does it take to light up an artillery range?

Arty illumination can be so shadowy.
Just make sure you are not at the receiving end in the impact zone.
....and don't forget hearing protection.

Otherwise take the shots at noon and forget about any "Goldenhour." ;-)

Savageduck

Old September 9th 10, 10:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On 9/8/2010 11:32 PM, DanP wrote:
On Sep 9, 12:08 am, "J. wrote:
On 9/8/2010 6:18 PM, DanP wrote:

On Sep 8, 9:14 pm, wrote:

At ISO200, full sunlight is EV17. f/4, 1/40000 would be slightly above
EV19. Still four times more light than high sun.

--
Bertrand

1/40,000 sec with CHDK is possible only at f/8 only. Useless, use
strobes instead.

So how many strobes does it take to light up an artillery range?

Don't know. How can you shoot that with a camera?

Usually by pointing the camera at it and pressing the shutter release.