HOYA SWALLOWS PENTAX !

Old January 7th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

Default End of an Era

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 14:05:32 -0600, Ron Hunter
wrote:

searched.....Do the airlines have the right to force their customers to give
up their 4th amendment rights? And, if not, then why not?

Forced? In what way. One can always just walk away from that search.

And many, by doing so, would also be walking away from a job.

Blanket searches are done all the time; stationary traffic radar
searches each vehicle to see if the driver is speeding. DUI
checkpoints search each vehicle for drivers driving impaired. Just two
examples that have been upheld by courts.

--
The Coney Island Polar Bear
Club hosted its annual New
Old January 7th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 22:39:54 +0000, Laurence Payne
lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote:

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 09:48:09 -0800, Ken Lucke
wrote:

Ever heard of the 4th amendment?

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers,
supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place
to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Not terribly useful today, is it. So shall we stop hiding behind that
one?

If you're a US citizen, I sincerely hope you don't vote.

Old January 7th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 16:11:24 +0000, Laurence Payne
lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote:

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 08:55:59 -0700, Bill Funk
wrote:

The pressure differential at 30K feet would only be 8 psi at the most.
A hole 50 square inches would be a total pressure of 400 pounds. Even
that much pressure would force a body through a hole 7 inches square.
And no hand-held firearm would punch a hole that size into an airliner
cabin. I can't see any non-explosive method of doing that without
drawing a lot of attention to the effort.

You sure about that math? Or did you mean "wouldn't"?

You're right, that should have been "wouldn't."
I hate it whan that happens.

Old January 7th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 19:35:52 -0500, Pudentame
wrote:

Who was the ejected pax? A child or full-size adult?

Christ! Do some fu&%^ Google of your own!

Gee, I'm sorry.
You seemed to have some knowledge of the cited event.
Obviously, I was wrong.

Old January 7th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 10:12:18 -0800, Ken Lucke
wrote:

More likely steel-jacketed, teflon coated, pierce anything cartridges....

Nope. First two clips (10mm, S&W 1076) are loaded with Silvertip
Glasers (or equivalent) 3 up then 4 hydroshocks to follow. In-chamber
round is always a Silvertip Glaser (or equivalent). Third & fourth
clips are hydroshocks & fmj [respecitvely], just in case.

I'm not interested in penetrating car doors, I'm interested in putting
the bad guy down. Permanently. I'll take glasers or the equivalent
any day for doing that at the close range I'm probably ever going to
need them at. I've seen the difference in body damage one can make.
Longer range, I'd have time to switch clips while ducking behind
something.

Are you planning on taking on the Triad all by yourself?

Old January 7th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

wrote:

More likely steel-jacketed, teflon coated, pierce anything cartridges....

Nope. First two clips (10mm, S&W 1076) are loaded with Silvertip
Glasers (or equivalent) 3 up then 4 hydroshocks to follow. In-chamber
round is always a Silvertip Glaser (or equivalent). Third & fourth
clips are hydroshocks & fmj [respecitvely], just in case.

I'm not interested in penetrating car doors, I'm interested in putting
the bad guy down. Permanently. I'll take glasers or the equivalent
any day for doing that at the close range I'm probably ever going to
need them at. I've seen the difference in body damage one can make.
Longer range, I'd have time to switch clips while ducking behind
something.

Are you planning on taking on the Triad all by yourself?

Naw, I'd need at leat one more clip for that =;^)

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old January 7th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Ron Hunter wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

(Note: to make "E85" you need near 100% Ethanol (or rather 0% water in
the ethanol). As much water as possible needs to be removed.
Dewatering the ethanol requires Zeolite or similar materials. Having
a "denaturing" agent (gasoline) in the ethanol will ruin the zeolite.)

I have a set of drawings to make a high efficiency still ... will
yield about 85% ethanol.

What's the other 15%?

Mostly water.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old January 7th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Dave Martindale wrote:
Ron Hunter writes:

I have a set of drawings to make a high efficiency still ... will yield
about 85% ethanol.

What's the other 15%?

Water, and traces of other volatiles in the original feedstock. The
boiling point of water isn't that much above ethanol, and there's a lot
more water than ethanol in the raw fermented input, so at temperatures
where all the ethanol evaporates, a substantial amount of water also
evaporates. Condenser temperatures that condense the ethanol also
condense most of the water vapour. So there's always some water in the
output of a still.

The design of the still for which I have drawings has a "high" temp
condensor at the bottom to condense out water and methanol, and a
separate condensor at the top, separated, to condense out the ethanol.
A thermostat in the top section controls the water flow rate to keep the
upper chamber at the ethanol condensing temperature.

http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/
(note: some statments on the site are a bit whacky).

Basically the cold coil water comes in the top section and is coiled
somewhat tightly so the upper section is cooler. That water, now warmed
up a little is then circulated to the bottom section coils in a less
dense configuration. There are also glass marbles in the lower section
to stabilize the temperature there and to provide a lot of surface area
for condensation.

The ethanol remains in gas state in the lower section as it is too hot
for ethanol to condense. It's too cool for water vapour and methanol in
the lower section, it condenses on the coils and marbles... the ethanol
vapour rises throgh a small opening into the cool upper chamber. (very
small amounts of condensed ethanol might fall back into the lower
chamber, but evaporate and make their way up top again. Most of the
ethanol is trapped there and let out into the ethanol container.

A small amount of water vapour does make its way into the upper chamber
and of course, being quite cooler than the lower chamber it condenses
there and is mixed with the ethanol.

Per the website where I got the plans, the ethanol output can be as good
as 90%. (180 proof).

Methanol (and other poisons) can be separated at the bottom water
leveler and then used as part of the evaporator (boiler) fuel to cook
the mash. Methanol is not good for auto engines, even flex-fuel
engines. It is also what makes moonshine dangerous. Moonshiners make
ethanol and when they screw up, they make methanol.

If you take the output of your still and distill it again, you can
increase the ethanol percentage somewhat, but you can never completely
get rid of the water by distilling no matter how many passes you use.
So the water has to be removed by some other means.

Yep.

I haven't built this thing yet although a plumber friend will do all the
copper soldering for me to make sure that it is as well made as
possible. The problem is that it is painful to licence in Canada for
the purpose of homemade fuel making as the government assumes you're a
moonshiner. Just having the still is an offence without a licence and a
government locked ethanol collector. Reasoning with these people is a
waste of time.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old January 7th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

William Graham wrote:

If you mix 85% alcohol and 15% water with air in the right proportions, will
it explode in a combustion chamber? If not, then how does a garage still
remove that water?

It will run a car with 15% water, but the mixture of water and ethanol
is corrosive due to the oxygen disolved in the water. That's why as

Old January 7th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Bill Funk wrote:
On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 20:50:28 +0000 (UTC), (Dave
Martindale) wrote:

Ron Hunter writes:

I have a set of drawings to make a high efficiency still ... will yield
about 85% ethanol.

What's the other 15%?

Water, and traces of other volatiles in the original feedstock. The
boiling point of water isn't that much above ethanol, and there's a lot
more water than ethanol in the raw fermented input, so at temperatures
where all the ethanol evaporates, a substantial amount of water also
evaporates. Condenser temperatures that condense the ethanol also
condense most of the water vapour. So there's always some water in the
output of a still.

The boiling point of ethanol is 172.76° F, at sea level.
It's not hard at all to regulate liquids that well that it will remain
below 212°F.
The impurities aren't so much water as solvents, fusel oil, and
methanol.

Most of those are trapped in the lower section and extracted. The
ethanol stage is better than 99% ethanol + water.

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource:
http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm