Hoya 67mm circular polarizer + Hoya Skylight + Nikon D70 - some problems

Old April 9th 05, 06:03 AM
Nicolae Fieraru

Default Hoya 67mm circular polarizer + Hoya Skylight + Nikon D70 - some problems

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Nikon D70 and I also bought a 67mm skylight filter
and a "high quality" polarizer, both Hoya. I noticed when I use both
together, the top corners of the image are very dark and I must crop the
photo to a smaller size in order to avoid this. I want to ask if it is
normal to have this effect when using both the skylight and the polarizer.
Are there other filters which are better and can be used together? Is there
any point in combining a skylighter and a polarizer (does the polarizer
filter out the UV?)

Regards,
Nicolae

Old April 9th 05, 06:41 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

"Nicolae Fieraru" wrote:

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Nikon D70 and I also bought a 67mm skylight filter
and a "high quality" polarizer, both Hoya. I noticed when I use both
together, the top corners of the image are very dark and I must crop the
photo to a smaller size in order to avoid this. I want to ask if it is
normal to have this effect when using both the skylight and the polarizer.
Are there other filters which are better and can be used together? Is there
any point in combining a skylighter and a polarizer (does the polarizer
filter out the UV?)

Regards,
Nicolae

That's normal for some lenses. You'll need to start with a step-up ring
before you can stack filters. Some very wide angle lenses need special
filters to use even one of them.

I wouldn't call Hoya high quality either. I've had problems with them
being fogged in varying degrees. The worst looked like it was covered
in soot. Hold it in the sunlight with your finger casting a shadow. A
good polarizer shows a faint shadow or no shadow on the glass. Fogged
polarizers show a definite shadow. I've also had the grease ooze out of
Hoyas in wet weather.

I have two Promaster filters and they're both good. Not sure if that's
good luck or good quality. My first two Hoyas were good too.

Old April 9th 05, 07:25 AM
Nicolae Fieraru

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the information provided.
I did some more tests and I noticed the dark corners only appear under 30mm
focal lenght. The lens I have are 24-70mm
Thanks for telling me about the Promaster filters. Maybe in the future I
will do something about this matter.
The term "high quality" was written on both packs of Hoya filters. I checked
for the shadow left by the polarizer, and it shows some shadow. It is
arguable if is a faint shadow or a stronger one, as I can't compare it with
other filters.

Regards,
Nicolae

Old April 9th 05, 08:11 AM
Randy Berbaum

Nicolae Fieraru wrote:

: I did some more tests and I noticed the dark corners only appear under
: 30mm focal lenght. The lens I have are 24-70mm
: Thanks for telling me about the Promaster filters. Maybe in the future
: I will do something about this matter.
: The term "high quality" was written on both packs of Hoya filters. I
: checked for the shadow left by the polarizer, and it shows some shadow.
: It is arguable if is a faint shadow or a stronger one, as I can't
: compare it with other filters.

It sounds like you are getting vignetting. The lens field of view is wide
enough that the edge of the filter edge ring is visible in the corners of
the photo. This is the darker corners. Anytime you stack filters on a wide
angle lens this is possible, and the more filters stacked on the lens the
more likely the problem to crop up.

As to the question of the need to use both filters (UV and pola) at the
same time, yes and no. If you didn't have a vignet problem, I would say,
go ahead and use both. I use my UV filter as a lens protector and leave it
on all the time. This protection filter saves my lens from dust, and
scratches. And if cleaning or inadvertant rough handling leaves scratch or
other damage on the filter it can be replaced easy (unlike the front lens
element in similar situation). So if you had no vignetting happening,
leaving this protector in place ensures continued protection. But in your
situation, it would be better to only use one filter at a time. Exchanging
the filters will increase the chance of dirt or damage to the main lens
durring the swap operation. And while the Pola filter does not normally
filter out UV specifically, it does reduce it as it does with all
wavelengths of light, thus reducing UV effects.

One possible solution to the stacked filter problem is to get "thin" or
"low profile" filters. They tend to be a bit more expensive and more
delicate, and may be hard to find in some filter sizes. But it may be
possible to get two filters that, when stacked, would be about the same
thickness as the one filter you now have no problem with. Unfortunately
there will be no guarantees that two thin filters will be thin enough
until you have them in hand and try them. If you have access to a larger
camera supply store that has these filters in stock, you may be able to
try them out with your camera before buying.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Old April 9th 05, 02:50 PM
Basic Wedge

Nicolae.

There is no need for you to combine those filters. The combination is
causing vignetting.

As a rule, the less glass between you and your subject, the better. If you
feel it is absolutely necessary to have a UV or Skylight filter for the
physical protection of your lens, go ahead and use it. For critical
photography, you should remove it. When using a polarizer filter, you should
avoid using any other filter along with it. A final word of advice: use the
very best quality filters you can afford.

Rob

Old April 9th 05, 05:45 PM
Bob Salomon

In article R4R5e.939735$6l.624849@pd7tw2no,
"Basic Wedge" wrote:

When using a polarizer filter, you should
avoid using any other filter along with it

While there is no reason to use a UV with a polarizer some people do
like to use a skylight filter with a polarizer to add some extra warmth
to the scene.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.