O/T: Nibbling on an Apple

Old August 7th 13, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Nibbling on an Apple

In article , Sandman
wrote:

It's a generic scenario that is meant to illustrate a common need for
people that have a desire to organize their photos.
Just because it doesn't specifically mention your wife by name or the
last city you visited doesn't mean it can't be applied to your
horrendous workflow above.

But is isn't my scenario.

I just said that, Sherlock. Read the words above.

Why bring it up to convince me of something?

I find it hard to believe anyone would set out to convince you of
anything. The discussion isn't about you though, it's about file system
versus database.

yep, but since he doesn't understand it and likes to argue, he turns it
into how *he* works and how everyone needs to work *his* way.
Old August 7th 13, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default O/T: Nibbling on an Apple

On 2013.08.06 07:41 , Dudley Hanks wrote:
Well, as much as I hate to admit it, I've taken a small step over
to the dark side: I've picked up an iPad Mini...

Like most Apple devices I've worked with, it seems this one does
nothing extraordinarily well, but it is rather
versatile.

I purchased the device thinking that it would be a nice, portable
audio recording / editing platform, giving me the ability to
record interviews and then do a bit of clean up work regardless
of my location. Ditto for video.

Unfortunately, the memory limitations on these portables leaves
them a bit lacking when it comes to working with large files, as
does the hardware used.

The iPad mini comes with up to 64 GB of memory. If you skimped and
bought the 16 GB v., then it is not Apple to blame but you.

A DVD movie is less than 5 GB and the "digital editions" for portable
devices are far less than that.

Even an HD recording (1080p) would come to less than 10 GB / hour. So
the 64 GB v. of the iPad would give you well over 5 hours of recording
time. At 720 p, about 3X that amount.

--
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media,
Old August 7th 13, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 8/7/2013 9:52 AM, Sandman wrote:
In article ,
PeterN wrote:

users want to access *content*. where that content is does not matter.
it might not even be on their device.

If the content I need is "what to do when the power goes out," I want it
on my device, so I can access it while I still have battery power.

Do you have any example of such content to share with us, or did you
just make that up to have an argument?

And why is this supposed content on the device that may have the power
go out instead of in a medium that isn't susceptible to that, like...
paper?

There are times when immediate access to content is required. If the
Internet line goes down, production should not have to come to a halt. I
was specifically thinking of C&C operations, where the entire set of
machine instructions is downloaded. It is also downloaded for review,
for possible transmission corruption.

Uh, ok, but that really doesn't fit the entire "what to do when the
power goes out" content...

Also, you are now talking about when the internet line goes down, not
when power goes out, so it seems we've strayed a bit here...

Look up "metaphor" in your dictionary.

--
PeterN
Old August 7th 13, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 8/7/2013 11:37 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 7 August 2013 14:15:04 UTC+1, PeterN wrote:

i don't assume anything. however, making things easier is something all

users want. except maybe you.

Do you know his needs? You can't suggest how to make things easier,
unless you understand the user's needs. One size does not fit all.

True but theres's a reason why Apple and other companies limit their product range even though there's close to 7 billion people on ther planet. Apple only have a two differbnt size ipads, and even samsung only have 3 or 4 size phone/notebooks/tablets even cameras to choose from rather than 7 billion we might be individuals but most have similar objectives.

Which is one of the reasons why, with the exception of my iPhone, I
haven't purchased Apple products, but have purchased Apple stock.

--
PeterN
Old August 7th 13, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

[...]

Indeed. Turns out that one of its synonyms isn't "changing the subject"
or "moving the goalpost".

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 7th 13, 10:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 8/7/2013 9:48 AM, Sandman wrote:
In article ,
PeterN wrote:

i don't assume anything. however, making things easier is something all
users want. except maybe you.

Do you know his needs? You can't suggest how to make things easier,
unless you understand the user's needs. One size does not fit all.

Well, using a database is most certainly a superset of using the
filesystem. Everything you do in your file system can be done with the
database approach and more. So generally speaking you most certainly
cold make the claim that a solid database application would make it
easier for everyone, even if they currently can't see any use outside of
their current system.

Think of it as Adobe Bridge vs Adobe Lightroom. In Bridge, what you see
and handle are files in the filesystem, while in Adobe Lightroom, you
manage the database that in turn point to files kept inside the
Lightroom Catalog structure that you don't have to deal with at any
point.

Yup. But, my point is that one cannot design a useful database, without
understanding the user's needs.

--
PeterN
Old August 7th 13, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 8/7/2013 4:28 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Sandman
wrote:

It's a generic scenario that is meant to illustrate a common need for
people that have a desire to organize their photos.
Just because it doesn't specifically mention your wife by name or the
last city you visited doesn't mean it can't be applied to your
horrendous workflow above.

But is isn't my scenario.

I just said that, Sherlock. Read the words above.

Why bring it up to convince me of something?

I find it hard to believe anyone would set out to convince you of
anything. The discussion isn't about you though, it's about file system
versus database.

yep, but since he doesn't understand it and likes to argue, he turns it
into how *he* works and how everyone needs to work *his* way.

Just the opposite. tony Cooper says how he works. You say how "most
people' work, without any documentation, or room for variables.

--
PeterN
Old August 7th 13, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 8/7/2013 4:28 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

You're not as hostile as usual. Did you take "be nice" pills recently.

i was waiting for your idiotic and inane comments to let loose. i
didn't need to wait too long but they weren't as stupid as usual. you
disappointed me.

Were you born an asshole, or did you learn it along the way. Until you
started posting, I didn't know an asshole could type. Or, do you use
sound recognition.

--
PeterN
Old August 7th 13, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

wrote:

users want to access *content*. where that content is does not matter.
it might not even be on their device.

If the content I need is "what to do when the power goes out," I want it
on my device, so I can access it while I still have battery power.

what's your point?

get a ups if power outages are an issue, or plan ahead and get what you
need before the power goes out.

or just move to where power outages aren't a serious problem.

You are displaying the lack of reasoning ability I thought. Thank you
for not disappointing.

--
PeterN
Old August 7th 13, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

wrote:

users want to access *content*. where that content is does not matter.
it might not even be on their device.

If the content I need is "what to do when the power goes out," I want it
on my device, so I can access it while I still have battery power.

Do you have any example of such content to share with us, or did you
just make that up to have an argument?

And why is this supposed content on the device that may have the power
go out instead of in a medium that isn't susceptible to that, like...
paper?

OK! That was a whoosh, but I'll explain.
There are times when immediate access to content is required. If the
Internet line goes down, production should not have to come to a halt. I
was specifically thinking of C&C operations, where the entire set of
machine instructions is downloaded. It is also downloaded for review,
for possible transmission corruption.

that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, but if production
were to come to a halt if the power or internet went out (i see you're
already changing things, hard to keep up), then you need to have backup
systems in place so that production doesn't come to a halt. not doing
so is negligent. it's not rocket science.

get a ups and an alternate network connection. there are routers that
will do an automatic fallback to the secondary network connection if
the main one fails. some even can use both at the same time for added
throughput.

Irrelevant.

--
PeterN