[PHOTO] Pelicans coming in to land

Old January 28th 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,alt.photography
Father McKenzie

Default [PHOTO] Pelicans coming in to land

I had been trying to get the fella on the water in the sunset shots but
was losing light. I was about to take the flash off and noticed these
two coming in to land. I got a couple of shots but the flash only fired
on this one.
Not too fussed about the reflection of the flash on water on the pelican
in the water but I like the action of the other two coming in to land.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...5232509&size=l
Old January 28th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,alt.photography
The One[_2_]

"Father McKenzie" wrote in message
I had been trying to get the fella on the water in the sunset shots but
was losing light. I was about to take the flash off and noticed these
two coming in to land. I got a couple of shots but the flash only fired
on this one.
Not too fussed about the reflection of the flash on water on the pelican
in the water but I like the action of the other two coming in to land.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...5232509&size=l

WTF has happened to that foreground bird.

Old January 28th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,alt.photography
Colin_D[_2_]

The One wrote:
"Father McKenzie" wrote in message
I had been trying to get the fella on the water in the sunset shots but
was losing light. I was about to take the flash off and noticed these
two coming in to land. I got a couple of shots but the flash only fired
on this one.
Not too fussed about the reflection of the flash on water on the pelican
in the water but I like the action of the other two coming in to land.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...5232509&size=l

WTF has happened to that foreground bird.

Obviously the camera was panned to follow the birds landing, and the
foreground bird is swimming the other way; a slow shutter speed because
of the low light despite flash being used. If you are a photographer
you should know this.

Colin D.

Old January 29th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,alt.photography
Colin_D[_2_]

The One wrote:
"Father McKenzie" wrote in message
I had been trying to get the fella on the water in the sunset shots but
was losing light. I was about to take the flash off and noticed these
two coming in to land. I got a couple of shots but the flash only fired
on this one.
Not too fussed about the reflection of the flash on water on the pelican
in the water but I like the action of the other two coming in to land.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...5232509&size=l

WTF has happened to that foreground bird.

You, 'the one' are new on this group, aren't you?

So far your posts have been rude, aggressive, and downright profane for
no good reason.

There's more than enough of your kind inhabiting these newsgroups,
hiding behind made-up names and posting from nowhere (you think) and we
don't need another one.

Shape up, be considerate and reasonable, helpful even, and if you can't
do that, then ship out.

Colin D.

Old January 29th 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,alt.photography
Not4wood

"The One" wrote in message

"Father McKenzie" wrote in message
I had been trying to get the fella on the water in the sunset shots but
was losing light. I was about to take the flash off and noticed these
two coming in to land. I got a couple of shots but the flash only fired
on this one.
Not too fussed about the reflection of the flash on water on the pelican
in the water but I like the action of the other two coming in to land.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...5232509&size=l

WTF has happened to that foreground bird.

After cropping out that one bird in the foreground, I would say its a great
shot. I had fought trying to get a couple of shots of these magnificent
birds last summer. Couldn't get a good shot in, also the timing and
lighting wouldn't cooperate for me, LOL and I didn't have a lot of time to
spend hunting them.

Not4wood

Old January 29th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, aus.photo, alt.photography
[email protected]

Default Pelicans coming in to land

On Jan 28, 11:01 pm, Father McKenzie
wrote:
I had been trying to get the fella on the water in the sunset shots but
was losing light. I was about to take the flash off and noticed these
two coming in to land. I got a couple of shots but the flash only fired
on this one.
Not too fussed about the reflection of the flash on water on the pelican
in the water but I like the action of the other two coming in to land.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...5232509&size=l

I agree with not4wood... The effect on the foreground bird is just
too surreal and that part looks just like what it is - a motion-
blurred pelican with a frozen flashlit component... Crop it off and
it looks much better, imo.

The rest of the shot is great - and it looks as if the flash hasn't
provided much (any?) illumination to the two other birds, which have
been kept sharp quite nicely by the panning.

Just curious, what shutter speed was it - I'm guessing about 1/100 or
thereabouts?
Old January 29th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,alt.photography
Father McKenzie

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for replying Mark, The One and Not4wood

As I said when i posted it I wasn't keen on the water refelction on the
pelican in the water. I will crop it out and see how it looks.

It was actually just something different to post after a night of
playing with pano's and HDR.

Mark settings are

Exposu 0.017 sec (1/60)
Apertu f/5.6
Focal Length: 55 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Old January 29th 08, 05:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,alt.photography
Paul Furman

wrote:
Father McKenzie wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...5232509&size=l

I agree with not4wood... The effect on the foreground bird is just
too surreal and that part looks just like what it is - a motion-
blurred pelican with a frozen flashlit component... Crop it off and
it looks much better, imo.

The rest of the shot is great - and it looks as if the flash hasn't
provided much (any?) illumination to the two other birds, which have
been kept sharp quite nicely by the panning.

Yes the other 2 are sharp.
Old January 29th 08, 07:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, aus.photo, alt.photography
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Fr... (O: It's a nice effect, and one I hadn't thought of
trying -it's alway nice to come up with something different so as to
avoid the NABS syndrome.

(Not Another Bloody Sunset)
Old January 29th 08, 09:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,alt.photography
Thomas Houseman

Very nice,

Also liked
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...57600179283345