D80: memory card..

Old December 18th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
maya

Default D80: memory card..

hi,

I just purchased this card for my Nikon D80..
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item...ce_Card.as px
is it ok?? I know it's ok for Nikon D80, just making sure I purchased
the best 4GB card I could purchase; not many choices @ Circuity City
(have to purchase there, locally, b/c am traveling abroad in 2 days and
b/c have credit there....

b/c I see at SanDisk they also have this one,
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item..._SDHC_4GB.aspx
would it be better?

(not sure if they have 2nd one at Circuit City..... but well, just
making sure card I purchased is ok...)

thank you..

Old December 18th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

"maya" wrote in message
hi,

I just purchased this card for my Nikon D80..
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item...ce_Card.as px
is it ok?? I know it's ok for Nikon D80, just making sure I
purchased the best 4GB card I could purchase; not many choices @
Circuity City (have to purchase there, locally, b/c am traveling
abroad in 2 days and b/c have credit there....

b/c I see at SanDisk they also have this one,
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item..._SDHC_4GB.aspx
would it be better?

(not sure if they have 2nd one at Circuit City..... but well, just
making sure card I purchased is ok...)

thank you..

The Extreme three is extremely faster than Ultra II but unlikely to
find one at
Circuit City. I am sure you would find it at B&H Photo.
You can use the Ultra II- in fact you have little choice since you
didn't allow enough time to
research the subject.

Old December 19th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Not4wood

OK, how bout can the D80 use the Ultra III since its newer?? When I bought
my newest 2GB card I also saw the Ultra III in a 4GB and I wanted to get it
since it was a good price but I was afraid my D80 wouldn't be able to handle
it.

I have the Ultra II in 2GB and it works fine, but I see no change in speed
compared to the regular SD 2GB card. My 4GB is also a regular SD.

Not4wood

wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:13:55 -0500, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems maya
wrote:

hi,

I just purchased this card for my Nikon D80..
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item...ce_Card.as px
is it ok?? I know it's ok for Nikon D80, just making sure I purchased
the best 4GB card I could purchase; not many choices @ Circuity City
(have to purchase there, locally, b/c am traveling abroad in 2 days and
b/c have credit there....

b/c I see at SanDisk they also have this one,
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item..._SDHC_4GB.aspx
would it be better?

(not sure if they have 2nd one at Circuit City..... but well, just
making sure card I purchased is ok...)

You don't say by what you mean "best".
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-8531

Old December 19th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Not4wood

Sorry my mistake, my 4GB SD card is an Ultra II SDHC and it works fine, but
its still not an Ultra III.

Not4wood

Old December 19th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

I have an Ultra 2, 4Gb SDHC and it is not so fast, my 2Gb Extreme writes
much faster.

The Extreme 3 writes at about 12Mb Per sec and reads at around 16 Mb.

The Ultra 2 only writes at about 5Mb Per sec but reads at over 10Mb. This is
a type 4 card, the newer Extreme 3 4Gb SDHC card is a type 6 card I think
and would be comparable in speed to the 2Gb Extreme 3 cards.

In actual use in my K10D you will only see a difference if you are using a
very high rate of shooting, with RAW it means I can shoot about 10
continuous before I see any slowdown with the Ultra and about 13 with the
extreme, shooting jpegs I have not noticed a difference.

Old December 19th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
maya

wrote:

hi,

I just purchased this card for my Nikon D80..
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item...ce_Card.as px
is it ok?? I know it's ok for Nikon D80, just making sure I purchased
the best 4GB card I could purchase; not many choices @ Circuity City
(have to purchase there, locally, b/c am traveling abroad in 2 days and
b/c have credit there....

b/c I see at SanDisk they also have this one,
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item..._SDHC_4GB.aspx
would it be better?

(not sure if they have 2nd one at Circuit City..... but well, just
making sure card I purchased is ok...)

You don't say by what you mean "best".
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-8531

interesting.. only 4GB card listed here is Transcend 150X 4GB....
no SanDisk 4GB... I can only make my purchase at Circuit City, since
have credit there.. still trying to make up my mind whether to return
this card or keep it (Circuit City does not have the Extreme III
(although will stop by there at lunch and see..) neither does B&H (not
acc. to their website at any rate..)

however, it would not be a HUGE deal, if I return it, since have two 2GB
cards, AND: recently purchased this really neat MP3 player, that with an
adapter you can transfer photos to it directly from the memory, without
going through a computer, this to me is priceless for when you're
traveling
(http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Creat...oductDetail.do)
note it has 60GB!!

thank you very much for your responses...

Old December 19th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Calan

Frank you are tough but you are correct. I was going to get mine from
Amazon, where I ordered the D300 but I looked around and for $127 I
got the 8gb Extreme III plus 50 free prints at costco.

I was also going to get a strap from Amazon but thanks to Don I
ordered it from Dell at 1/2 the price, $15.89 vs. $30.05.

Alan

Old December 19th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Not4wood

Interesting Maya;

I saw a good price one day when I was just walking around one of the Staples
near to where we live, and I have it in my hand as I am typing this. Blue,
SD card 4GB SDHC with sliding lock on the left hand side.

Funny, but there are four Staples within a lets say 7-8 mile radius and each
one has a different price for certain items. I've learnt that if I want
something specific I make sure to check out several of them to see which one
is the cheapest.

Not4wood

Old December 19th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

Memory card speed is the card's performance with regard to how quickly
data can be transferred to or from it. The card speed is often stated
in -Times- ratings i.e. 12X, 40X etc (just as the speed of recordable
CD's and DVD's is measured), and sometimes more specifically in
megabytes per second (Mb/s). By today's measure, sub 20X represents a
standard speed, 20X to 40X is mid-high speed and over 40X is high
speed. The chart below shows the relationship between the two figures.

8X = 1.2 Mb/sec
12X = 1.8 Mb/sec
20X = 3.0 Mb/sec
25X = 3.8 Mb/sec