new to ilford MG IV FB

Old August 11th 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
joe mama

Default new to ilford MG IV FB

hi,

since i can't get my beloved agfa papers anymore, i am forced to try the
ilford paper. i like it, but am wondering if there are any good results
that have been defined in hee. i used it with dektol, and liked the
tonality. it toned well in sepia (almost more reddish purple than brown),
but didn't notice much difference in selenium.

what will agfa neutrol, or other developers do with this paper?

tia...

Old August 11th 06, 10:50 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Claudio Bonavolta

joe mama a écrit :

hi,

since i can't get my beloved agfa papers anymore, i am forced to try the
ilford paper. i like it, but am wondering if there are any good results
that have been defined in hee. i used it with dektol, and liked the
tonality. it toned well in sepia (almost more reddish purple than brown),
but didn't notice much difference in selenium.

what will agfa neutrol, or other developers do with this paper?

tia...

There are various Agfa Neutol developers (NE, NE Plus, WA).
I use it with Agfa Neutol NE which works pretty similar to Dektol and
keeps a neutral tone.
Then it depends the dilution you use which may change the final tone.

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch

Old August 12th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Tony Clarke

"joe mama" wrote

i used it with dektol, and liked the
tonality. it toned well in sepia (almost more reddish purple than brown),
but didn't notice much difference in selenium.

My limited experience with using selenium toner on Multigrade is that it
doesn't change the perceived tone or Dmax much. What you will get is that
archival permanence that selenium is renowned for. MG seems to be a paper
that provides good reliable plain results which 90% of photographers want
but doesn't want to go far into "creative" territory. I am told it's
hopeless with lith chemistry (there's a challenge, lith-ists) and generally
if you want tone, colour or other non-monochrome results, you need to search
out the minority papers and experiment. Over here in the UK - I detect a
US-bias to this list - we are steered towards Forte (Hungarian) or Oriental
Seagull papers for such results, but I can't yet comment comment personally
on what they are - largely on cost grounds and lack of technical skill in my
case so far.

We are just grateful that Ilford was bailed out at the 11th hour by
Harman Technologies. UK suppliers, such as the one I was in yesterday (Mr
Cad in Croydon, South London) are having closeout sales on the last of
original Agfa stock in film and paper: I'm only glad that the recipe for
Agfa Rodinal developer has been rescued for the future, and other brands
seem to be swapping ownership at a confusing rate as the (largely German)
Euro industry consolidates - I was told that Maco of Hamburg, having rescued
several lines from Agfa such as the Pan25 film, are now rebadging it as
Rollei.

Keep it mono,

Tony Clarke
Cambridge UK