Olympus SP-500 UZ Importance of image stabilizer??????

Old December 13th 05, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Olympus SP-500 UZ Importance of image stabilizer??????

This camera seems to get pretty good reviews except some complain about no
image stabilizer. I know this would be an advantage with a camera that has
10x optical but is it important enough to make one decide not to buy this
camera.

thanks

rq

Old December 13th 05, 05:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

rq wrote:
This camera seems to get pretty good reviews except some complain
about no image stabilizer. I know this would be an advantage with a
camera that has 10x optical but is it important enough to make one
decide not to buy this camera.

thanks

rq,

I've only had image-stabilisation for about six months, but I do much wish
I had it before! With the non-DSLR cameras (with the exception of the
Sony R1), you need to operate at ISO 100 to keep the noise down, so
getting the higher shutter speeds needed for longer lenses can be
problematic unless it's strong daylight. It's under these conditions -
the slightly darker times - that image-stabilisation shines. I replaced a
Nikon 5700 (280mm, f/4.2, no IS) with the Panasonic FZ5 (432mm, f/3.3,
with IS) - both 5MP cameras - and my success rate on long zoom shots is
much better. It gives you about three f/stops (about a factor of ten)
gain.

In short, I wouldn't want to use a long zoom camera without IS, and nice
though the Olympus looks, for me the lack of IS would be a deal-breaker.

David