zone VI meters

Old March 5th 04, 06:59 AM
davidb

Default zone VI meters

Without being funny, how can you tell a Zone VI Modified Digital
Pentax meter from one that has not been modified.
I am asking because I just bought one for a very reasonable price. It
has the "Modified by Zone VI Studios Inc" sticker on the side. But is
there another way?

thanks
Old March 5th 04, 09:38 AM
Severi Salminen

Whoooops - it is 3am here - brain fade - my apologies.

The modified meter comes with a "stick on" around the barrel. This sticker
has various shades of gray on it to correspond to each zone in the zone
system.

(slinks off in embarassment...)

Umm, you should go to bed... The sticker can be bought separately (and
it can easily be also missing) so it is _definitely_ not a way to
distinguish between modified and unmodified version.

I guess one could try to look through the front lens and look into the
meter. Never looked through a modified meter so I don't know what to
look for but I'd guess the modifications would be easy to spot, at least
if you know what an unmodified looked like.

Severi
Old March 5th 04, 09:50 AM
Tim Daneliuk

Severi Salminen wrote:

Whoooops - it is 3am here - brain fade - my apologies.

The modified meter comes with a "stick on" around the barrel. This
sticker
has various shades of gray on it to correspond to each zone in the zone
system.

(slinks off in embarassment...)

Umm, you should go to bed... The sticker can be bought separately (and
it can easily be also missing) so it is _definitely_ not a way to
distinguish between modified and unmodified version.

I guess one could try to look through the front lens and look into the
meter. Never looked through a modified meter so I don't know what to
look for but I'd guess the modifications would be easy to spot, at least
if you know what an unmodified looked like.

Severi

Your point about the sticker it taken, though I don't know if they are
available any longer. I see nothing miraculous while looking through
the meter either. Now that I look at it more closely, I note that
there is also another sticker (much more substantial and less likely
to get peeled off) on the side of the grip that says "Modified By
Zone VI".

As a practial matter, I don't think it actually matters that much anyway.
Once I calibrated my personal EI using the meter, I use it as I would
any other meter. The claim that you can just meter through a filter
(which was one of the primary motivations for the modification) turns
out to not be true - at least in my experience with the two I've owned...

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Old March 5th 04, 12:06 PM
BEllis60

The sticker is the only way I know of without having equipment and means of
testing that you probably don't have. However, it's a pretty good indication
that the meter has in fact been modified. The only way it could be wrong is
if the seller somehow was able to get his or her hands on a sticker and then
put it on an unmodified meter, presumably for the purpose of defrauding a
buyer. The stickers weren't sold separately from the modifications so
finding one without having the meter modified wouldn't be easy.

om...

Old March 5th 04, 12:22 PM
BEllis60

Whoooops - it is 3am here - brain fade - my apologies.

The modified meter comes with a "stick on" around the barrel. This

sticker
has various shades of gray on it to correspond to each zone in the zone
system.

(slinks off in embarassment...)

Umm, you should go to bed... The sticker can be bought separately (and
it can easily be also missing) so it is _definitely_ not a way to
distinguish between modified and unmodified version.

Oh come on, neither of you know what you're talking about so you're giving
completely incorrect information.

There were two stickers that Zone VI Studios used. One is the zone system
sticker. This was the sticker Tim was talking about . The zone system
stickers were (and I think still are) sold separately from the meter and are
used to assist in applying the zone system when determining exposure. These
stickers have nothing whatsoever to do with whether the meter has been
modified or not. The other sticker is the one David is asking about. Those
stickers have nothing to do with the zone system. Those stickers say that
the meter has been modified and they were NOT sold separately from the
meter. The only way of getting one of these is to have the meter modified.
So the existence of the sticker that David is asking about is a very good

Old March 5th 04, 12:42 PM
Severi Salminen

Umm, you should go to bed... The sticker can be bought separately (and
it can easily be also missing) so it is _definitely_ not a way to
distinguish between modified and unmodified version.

Oh come on, neither of you know what you're talking about so you're giving
completely incorrect information.

"Oh come on" yourself, re-read what I wrote and what I answered to. Tim
was talking about the sticker around the barrel, the sticker with Zones
on it, he was not talking about the "Modified by..." sticker that David
allready mentioned in the first post. Tim wrote this:

"The modified meter comes with a "stick on" around the barrel. This
sticker has various shades of gray on it to correspond to each zone in
the zone system. "

David allready knows about "Modified by..." sticker and asked what
_other_ ways there are to verify whether a meter is modified. And these
Zone System stickers can be bought separately so it is not way to verify
the matter.

There were two stickers that Zone VI Studios used. One is the zone system
sticker. This was the sticker Tim was talking about .

No he was not, please re-read.

Severi S.
Old March 5th 04, 01:31 PM
Paul Schmidt

BEllis60 wrote:
The sticker is the only way I know of without having equipment and means of
testing that you probably don't have. However, it's a pretty good indication
that the meter has in fact been modified. The only way it could be wrong is
if the seller somehow was able to get his or her hands on a sticker and then
put it on an unmodified meter, presumably for the purpose of defrauding a
buyer. The stickers weren't sold separately from the modifications so
finding one without having the meter modified wouldn't be easy.

Every meter modified has the sticker, so if you have an unmodified but
working meter, and a modified but dead meter, some patience and some
chemical glue remover, you might be able to remove the sticker, and glue
it to the unmodified meter.

Old March 5th 04, 01:59 PM
f/256

"BEllis60" wrote in message
The sticker is the only way I know of without having equipment and means

of
testing that you probably don't have. However, it's a pretty good

indication
that the meter has in fact been modified. The only way it could be wrong

is
if the seller somehow was able to get his or her hands on a sticker and

then
put it on an unmodified meter, presumably for the purpose of defrauding a
buyer. The stickers weren't sold separately from the modifications so
finding one without having the meter modified wouldn't be easy.

But making a sticker would be easy. I bought a second hand Pentax V and it
came with sticker and a certificate stating the meter and S/N had been
ZoneVI modified. Yes, the certificate could also be faked!

The best proof that you have a modified meter is if you get much better
exposed negatives, isn't that right people ;-)

Guillermo

Old March 5th 04, 02:14 PM
BEllis60

I said:
There were two stickers that Zone VI Studios used. One is the zone

system
sticker. This was the sticker Tim was talking about .

Severi S said
: No he was not, please re-read.

I did re-read. I don't know what messages you're reading but what I saw was
the following statment from Tim:

"The modified meter comes with a "stick on" around the barrel. This
sticker has various shades of gray on it to correspond to each zone in
the zone system. "

The modified meter does come with a "stick on" but it doesn't have "various
shades of gray on it to correspond to each zone in the zone system." The
sticker that has "various shades of gray on it" etc. is the zone system
sticker. So it was the zone system sticker to which Tim was referring.

Just in case there is any remaining confusion, I'm holding in my hand my
Pentax meter modified by Zone VI Studio. I also separately purchased the
zone sysetem sticker so my meter has both stickers. The sticker that was
attached when the meter was modified says: "Modified By Zone VI Studios
Inc." That sticker can't be obtained except by having the meter modified so
its presence tells you to a virtual certainty that the meter has been
modified. I don't know of any other practical way of tellling that (which
was the answer I gave to David's original question). The zone system
sticker has, as Tim said, various shades of gray on it representing Zones I
through VIII But that sticker has nothing to do with the modifications, it
can be bought and applied to the meter without having the meter modified, so
its presence doesn't tell you anything about the modifications.

However, I apologize for my misunderstanding of your original response. When
you referred to "the sticker" being bought separate from the modifications
and so not being an indication that the modifications had been made, I
thought "the sticker" to which you were referring was the sticker David
asked about.

Old March 5th 04, 02:34 PM
Severi Salminen

BEllis60 wrote:

I said:
There were two stickers that Zone VI Studios used. One is the zone

system

sticker. This was the sticker Tim was talking about .

Severi S said
: No he was not, please re-read.

I did re-read. I don't know what messages you're reading but what I saw was
the following statment from Tim:

Yes, I actually twisted my brains myself when trying to set you straight
But I think we agree on everything: Zone System sticker can be bought
separately, Zove VI Studios sticker can not. David asked some other
identification than the Zone VI Studios sticker and Tim answered by
referring incorrectly to the Zone System sticker. So the original
question is still unanswered

Severi S.