Canon (especially) and Nikon are a bit boring these days

Old February 20th 11, 06:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Default Canon (especially) and Nikon are a bit boring these days

On 2011-02-13 19:34:22 -0800, Robert Coe said:

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:29:35 -0800 (PST), Rich
wrote:
: On Feb 13, 9:23 pm, Savageduck wrote:
: On 2011-02-13 18:15:41 -0800, RichA said:
:
: DSLR's, DSLR's, DSLR's. Look, that magazine is reviewing the new
: Canon 60D. Yawn. Much like the last DSLR, much like all of them.
: Black bodies, virtually indistinguishable, modelled after the same
: camera bodies we've had since the 1960's. No one will deny DSLR's
: still dominate the pro ranks and clean-up when it comes to the
: pinnacle of photo excellence but there comes a time when you
have to
: ask, "Is a camera using a 50 year-old design model the best they
can
: do?" Is there a reason mirrorless has caught on (at least in
Asia and
: Europe at least) so well? Given the performance of the
Panasonic GH2
: when it comes to focusing speed and quality of the Olympus
add-on EVF,
: would anyone really be upset if Nikon released a mirrorless,
compact
: FF? I don't think so. It would fly of the shelves. Something the
: size of a Leica M9 coupled to a Nikon 24mm f1.4 lens with the D3s
: sensor. Just imagine that.
:
: Damn it Rich!
: What is going to make you happy?
: Bumper-bullets, tail fins, & a candy apple paint job?
:
:
: No. The 1950's (oddly enough, a time when the current SLR shape came
: into being in a big way) autos were plagued by a manufacturing process
: incapable of making sharp corners except at cut and welded edges. I
: HATE rounded cars. That's what the Japanese build. Everything soft-
: looking, identical looking. Give me a mid-1970s Ford or Lincoln with
: their squared-off lines, or a Cadillac CTS-V today. No fins, no
: bumper bullets, no prism housing. As for paint jobs, when was the
: last time you saw any of the zombies who buy cars today without a grey/
: silver car? Pass the Soma...

You're hitting a bit close to home there, Buddy. I happen to be on my
sixth
silver or gray car. It's a Kia, but the first two were a Porsche and a
Dodge
Super Bee. I may be a zombie now, but it was not always so.

Bob

Let's see, these are mostly mine (M)and some my wife's (noted with a "W"):
'63 Chevy Impala 230 I6 w/3 speed manual (M)- deep maroon
'64 Buick Wildcat 445 (M)- black & white
'68 VW 1500 (M)- dark green
'72 Subaru (M)- blue
'74 Datsun 240 (M)- green
'75 BMW 520 (M)- white
'80 VW Golf GTI (W) - white
'75 used Olds Cutlass (Aaagh! the worst car I have ever owned!) (M)- green
'86 Subaru (M/W)- white
'89 Ford Probe GT (M)- white
'95 Ford Contour LX (M/W)- sort of metallic tan, they called it "champagne"
2003 Ford Escape (W currently used by my step-daughter from Hell) -
similar metallic tan
'87 Mercedes 560 SEL (M)- dark blue
'96 Mercedes S600 (M)- black
2005 Chrysler Pacifica (W/M) - metallic silver (engine blown, such
promise, big disappointment)
2008 Mercedes E350 (M)- brownish-toned metallic grey

For work, a variety of Chevy Caprice LE cruisers & Ford Crown Victoria
police interceptors. Various colors, mostly white.

Heh, my list is shorter. Two red 80's Subaru sedans (let the first one
run out of oil & fry in college) and the grey '88 Toyota van keeps on
keepin' on... had it since '89. My father only drove VW's; I remember
one Beetle with 2 gears & a Squareback, though he really wanted a
Citroen :-)