[SI] The Final (again) Fate of the Shoot-In

Old April 12th 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Default The Final (again) Fate of the Shoot-In

On Apr 11, 6:57*pm, Alienjones wrote:

Helen is Bret, despite his continued assertion he is not, he actually
is. Many, many times he's slipped up and this is just another incident
where his poor memory exposes his masquerade. Who else would make such
glowing reports of such terrible photography than the sock invented to
do just that?

More importantly... There is mounting evidence!

ROFL! I love watching D-Mac (oops, I meant AlienJones this week)
sink further into dementia.

Hey D-Mac, guess what? I'm Julian, too!
Heck, you don't even exist, mate!

Yeah, Clouseau, you're all over it. I had everybody here fooled but
you, the Super Sleuth from Tangalooma. Hell, a couple of people here
even sent me mail to my Canadian snail mail address. Had those
suckers fooled as well.

So what did we learn from all this?

Either:
A. Helen and I are two separate people as 99% of the folks here
believe.
In that case, D-Mac, you're a Dumbass.

Or:
B. Helen and I are the same person cleverly disguised and masterfully
planned to trick everyone here including you, D-Mac, who sent Helen
horny e-mails. (Or do you prefer "Mel?")
In that case, D-Mac, you're a Dumbass.

Old April 12th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Apr 11, 6:57*pm, Alienjones wrote:

And when he finally got control of shootin from the biggest bigot all???
He couldn't handle it! ROTFL. What a joke!

Actually, I handled it fine until I tired of dealing with you and all
your silly troll entries .... George Preddy, Veronika Hagensen,
Svetlana, ....

D-Mac, you've always had a hard-on for the Shoot-In for whatever
reason.
Perhaps it goes back to someone commenting negatively about one of
your pics, I don't know. You hassled me when I ran it and you've
hassled Jim Kramer since he took it over. If you don't like the Shoot-
In just leave. You can even go back to that "exclusive" Australian-
only group of yours for all we care.

Old April 12th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

So Lisa, you wanna run it again?

All in favor?
Old April 12th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Dudley Hanks

Default [SI] The Final (again) Fate of the Shoot-In

"Lisa Horton" wrote in message
Hello again.

It's amazing to me that the SI has survived this long. That it has is a
testament to the power of community. It was created as a community
building activity, driven by the community of R.P.E.35mm. The fact that
it continues to exist at all, over four years later, says that the basic
concept holds some level of enduring appeal to this community.

There is a saying, that a man cannot put the same foot in the same river
twice. In the intervening time, both the man and the river have
changed. Change is life, life is change. There are some good
suggestions in this thread for positive changes to the SI.

The original pixel limitations for the SI were in the context of what
sorts of monitors people had at the time. Now, it's difficult to even
find a monitor under 19". But a lot of people don't have brand new
monitors, many still have 19" screens. I would think an increase in
pixel size would be appropriate, but a limited increase. I would think
something along the lines of 1024x768 would fit on the vast majority of
screens, without being too small for the mega monitor crowd.

Didn't we start with monthly mandates originally? For people with
lives, jobs, even families, a month seems a reasonable time frame. A
longer mandate gives people more time to do the really hard part of
making a photograph: thinking. I used to spend far more time thinking
about how to meet the mandate than actually producing the photograph.

As for ratings, I don't think they support the concept of the SI, an
adamantly non competitive activity. Yes, it means that an execrable
photo may not get the lambasting it deserves, but... People either want
to improve and get better, or they don't.

I think that the mandates are a key part of the SI. But, as has been
pointed out, it takes thought to create a good mandate. One that isn't
too vague, but also not too specific. The best mandates strike a
balance between being vague and specific. As a suggestion to
mandators, consider making your mandate two parts. A short concise
sentence, then a short paragraph explaining the mandate in more detail.

Having checked out the SI website and gone through the archives in
preparation for participation in the latest incarnation, I easily recognized
your name while browsing the posts. I hope to see your posts on a regular
basis, again.

Will you also be participating in the SI? Your expertise and experience
would be greatly appreciated by participants like myself.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old April 12th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Lisa Horton wrote:
Hello again.

It's amazing to me that the SI has survived this long. That it has is a
testament to the power of community. It was created as a community
building activity, driven by the community of R.P.E.35mm. The fact that
it continues to exist at all, over four years later, says that the basic
concept holds some level of enduring appeal to this community.

Hi LISA!!!

Great to hear from you. The signal level is rising!

Could you e-meil me please. REM: no freelunch.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old April 12th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Annika1980 wrote:
planned to trick everyone here including you, D-Mac, who sent Helen
horny e-mails. (Or do you prefer "Mel?")

Oh, DO tell!
Old April 12th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Annika1980 wrote:
So Lisa, you wanna run it again?

All in favor?

Let's run it _for_ her.

Old April 13th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson[_2_]

Helen wrote:

I don't understand why you think my question to the founder, or one of
the founders, to the SI to be strange. I didn't know an introduction
was required, as I have never seen it on rpe35mm. I was merely
pleasantly surprised to see Lisa's name.
Do you have a problem with that or with me for that matter?

No, but I found your behaviour slightly curious and out of character,
which is why I pointed it out.

If we are to encourage people to come back to the SI, I think we need
to be a kinder more pleasant group focused on photography........don't
you?

Coming from someone who is characterised by her slavishly complete and
uniquely gushing admiration for one of the greatest troublemakers ever
to frequent the photo newsgroups, I am surprised your keyboard didn't
explode when you typed that, and clicked on "Send" ...

Old April 13th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Helen[_2_]

On Apr 13, 3:29*pm, Tony Polson wrote:
Helen wrote:

I don't understand why you think my question to the founder, or one of
the founders, to the SI to be strange. *I didn't know an introduction
was required, as I have never seen it on rpe35mm. *I was merely
pleasantly surprised to see Lisa's name.
Do you have a problem with that or with me for that matter?

No, but I found your behaviour slightly curious and out of character,
which is why I pointed it out. *

If we are to encourage people to come back to the SI, I think we need
to be a kinder more pleasant group focused on photography........don't
you?

Coming from someone who is characterised by her slavishly complete and
uniquely gushing admiration for one of the greatest troublemakers ever
to frequent the photo newsgroups, I am surprised your keyboard didn't
explode when you typed that, and clicked on "Send" ...

Rubbish! You were trying to stir up trouble by way of an argument,
but I'm not going to bite.
Your type of paranoid, unstable mood swings should be looked upon with
sympathy and understanding and as such, taken with a grain of salt.
Old April 13th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson[_2_]

Helen wrote:

Rubbish! You were trying to stir up trouble by way of an argument

I have never argued with you, Helen, and I'm not going to start now.

As far as I am concerned, the subject is closed.