Amateur's pondering on f-stop and such . . D70s

Old January 11th 08, 01:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ole Kvaal

Default Amateur's pondering on f-stop and such . . D70s

Hi. To begin with: I'm totally new to photography, and although I am
beginning to grasp the shutter/aperture relationship, there's one
thing I've come across on a couple of occasions, which I can't figure
out. As far as I've read, when choosing a certain f-stop value on my
Nikon D70s, "your camera's light meter will indicate when the frame is
correctly exposed, as you adjust your shutter speed. Once the
exposure is correct, that becomes your image's required settings".
Where is this indicated? Is that the little green dot at the bottom
left of my view-finder, or is it somewhere/something else?

Thanks in advance,
ole k
Old January 11th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
EUGENE HURWITZ

If you are in M (manual) mode on the camera, you will see a scale in the
viewfinder, with a midpoint and markings to the left and right. For
"correct" exposure, adjust the shutter speed until the lines on the scale
approach the midpont.

Old January 11th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ole kvaal

EUGENE HURWITZ wrote:
If you are in M (manual) mode on the camera, you will see a scale in the
viewfinder, with a midpoint and markings to the left and right. For
"correct" exposure, adjust the shutter speed until the lines on the scale
approach the midpont.

Ah - in the M mode, that's it! Thanks a lot, Eugene!

rgds,
ole k
Old January 11th 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Not4wood

BTW, just FYI that little green dot means that your subject in the
viewfinder is in Focus.

Not4wood

Old January 11th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

ole kvaal wrote:
EUGENE HURWITZ wrote:
If you are in M (manual) mode on the camera, you will see a scale in
the viewfinder, with a midpoint and markings to the left and right.
For "correct" exposure, adjust the shutter speed until the lines on
the scale approach the midpont.

Ah - in the M mode, that's it! Thanks a lot, Eugene!

You should also see it in A & S mode, adjustable with exposure compensation.
Old January 11th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

"Ole Kvaal" wrote in message
Hi. To begin with: I'm totally new to photography, and although I am
beginning to grasp the shutter/aperture relationship, there's one
thing I've come across on a couple of occasions, which I can't
figure
out. As far as I've read, when choosing a certain f-stop value on my
Nikon D70s, "your camera's light meter will indicate when the frame
is
correctly exposed, as you adjust your shutter speed. Once the
exposure is correct, that becomes your image's required settings".
Where is this indicated? Is that the little green dot at the bottom
left of my view-finder, or is it somewhere/something else?

Thanks in advance,
ole k

Choose the S (Shutter Priority) setting and pick a fast shutter speed
to stop action or pick a slow shutter speed if you want to
deliberately blur the image.
Choose the A(Aperature Priority) and pick a smaller diaphragm
setting(which means a higher number) if you want to have much depth of
field or pick a larger diaphragm setting (a lower number) if you want
to have a limited depth of field.

Old January 11th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2008-01-11 05:59:10 -0800, Ole Kvaal said:

Hi. To begin with: I'm totally new to photography, and although I am
beginning to grasp the shutter/aperture relationship, there's one
thing I've come across on a couple of occasions, which I can't figure
out. As far as I've read, when choosing a certain f-stop value on my
Nikon D70s, "your camera's light meter will indicate when the frame is
correctly exposed, as you adjust your shutter speed. Once the
exposure is correct, that becomes your image's required settings".
Where is this indicated? Is that the little green dot at the bottom
left of my view-finder, or is it somewhere/something else?

Thanks in advance,
ole k

The little green dot means the camera thinks your subject is in focus.
Eugene already answered your main question.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old January 11th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_2_]

"Ole Kvaal" wrote in message
Hi. To begin with: I'm totally new to photography, and although I am
beginning to grasp the shutter/aperture relationship, there's one
thing I've come across on a couple of occasions, which I can't figure
out. As far as I've read, when choosing a certain f-stop value on my
Nikon D70s, "your camera's light meter will indicate when the frame is
correctly exposed, as you adjust your shutter speed. Once the
exposure is correct, that becomes your image's required settings".

Can you give us a page number for that? It sounds like you're reading about
the manual mode.

Where is this indicated? Is that the little green dot at the bottom
left of my view-finder,

That green dot just comes on when the focus is correct. It's mostly for use
when focusing the lens manually.

or is it somewhere/something else?

When you're in manual mode (M on the dial) you'll see the light meter scale
at the bottom of your viewfinder, just to the right of the F number. As you
rotate the rear command dial you'll see the shutter speed change (to the
left of the F number) and the over- or under-exposure will be indicated on
the light meter scale. The scale does not appear in any mode other than M.

Neil

Thanks in advance,
ole k

Old January 11th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ole kvaal

Neil Harrington wrote:
"Ole Kvaal" wrote in message
As far as I've read, when choosing a certain f-stop value on my
Nikon D70s, "your camera's light meter will indicate when the frame is
correctly exposed, as you adjust your shutter speed. Once the
exposure is correct, that becomes your image's required settings".

Can you give us a page number for that? It sounds like you're reading about
the manual mode.

Sorry, I was a bit unclear about this. I was quoting an article I was
checking on the internet when I wrote my original message. I must admit
I couldn't quite make out whether it was talking about Manual mode or
not. Anyway, thanks to everyone who has replied to this, and also
brought me some further information. You've been most kind and helpful.

rgds,
ole k

Old January 12th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray Paseur[_3_]

One other note. Your camera meter wants everything to be "18% gray" and
adjusts its exposures as if it is looking at gray. That means you want
to adjust the exposure if what you're looking at is not gray. If you're
looking at a polar bear in a snowstorm, change your exposure to
OVEREXPOSE by a stop or two. If you're at a coal mine, you should
UNDEREXPOSE relative to the infromation in the camera. Doing this will
give you better images. If you don't do this, your snow scenes will
look grayish, because the camera meter is seeking a gray average.

Many cameras give you the option to bracket the exposure, taking several
images at nearby exposure settings. In iffy light, this is always a
good idea.

HTH ~Ray
---
ole kvaal wrote in
:

Neil Harrington wrote:
"Ole Kvaal" wrote in message
As far as I've read, when choosing a certain f-stop value on my
Nikon D70s, "your camera's light meter will indicate when the frame
is correctly exposed, as you adjust your shutter speed. Once the
exposure is correct, that becomes your image's required settings".

Can you give us a page number for that? It sounds like you're reading
about the manual mode.

Sorry, I was a bit unclear about this. I was quoting an article I was
checking on the internet when I wrote my original message. I must
admit I couldn't quite make out whether it was talking about Manual
mode or not. Anyway, thanks to everyone who has replied to this, and
also brought me some further information. You've been most kind and
helpful.

rgds,
ole k

F-Stop and the Nikon D70s Kit Lense Monty Bonner Digital SLR Cameras 3 October 14th 05 01:38 AM
F stop jerryz Digital Photography 10 October 17th 04 05:19 PM
Pondering purchase of a Graflex Press camera klink Large Format Photography Equipment 5 May 31st 04 03:21 PM
F-Stop Timer: 1/10th stop, test strips, burns - $68, kit Nicholas O. Lindan Darkroom Equipment For Sale 0 January 9th 04 09:20 PM
F-Stop Timer: 1/10th stop, test strips, burns - $68, kit Nicholas O. Lindan Large Format Equipment For Sale 0 January 9th 04 09:20 PM