ISO settings Minolta Dynax

Old July 27th 07, 08:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Gerard

Default ISO settings Minolta Dynax

Hi to all.
After using a 5MP Kodak digital camera for the past 5 years I've
decided to go back to film camera. While I was taking the dust of my
old Minolta Dynax I noticed it had ISO settings similar to those on
the digital camera. The manual says it can can override the value of
the ISO value on the film.Has anyone experimented with these settings.
The range is pretty exciting from 16 to 6400.

Gerard

Old July 27th 07, 11:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mick Harris

"Gerard" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi to all.
After using a 5MP Kodak digital camera for the past 5 years I've
decided to go back to film camera. While I was taking the dust of my
old Minolta Dynax I noticed it had ISO settings similar to those on
the digital camera. The manual says it can can override the value of
the ISO value on the film.Has anyone experimented with these settings.
The range is pretty exciting from 16 to 6400.

Gerard

I am a bit rusty as far as this technique goes, but here are a few of the
basics, and I'll leave the detailed stuff to someone else lol.
Overriding the iso refers to "pushing/pulling" the film i.e. If you were to
load the camera with iso 100 film, but set the cameras iso setting to iso
200, you would be "pushing" the film by 1 stop, (exposing it at a higher iso
setting)
When it is time to develop the film you would have to tell the developers
that you have pushed it so they can allow for it in the developing process.
If I can remember right, doing this causes the image to be more grainy, and
also alters the colours to some extent. Oh well I'll hand over to someone
else now as that is about my limit as far as pushing film goes.
ATB
Mick

PS. here's a few links about it, but a more extensive search should find
something more in depth.
http://www.jafaphotography.com/pushing_film.htm
http://www.charlescampbell.com/photo...es/Pushing.pdf
http://photonotes.org/cgi-bin/entry....Pushprocessing

Old July 27th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Fred Anonymous

"Gerard" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi to all.
After using a 5MP Kodak digital camera for the past 5 years I've
decided to go back to film camera. While I was taking the dust of my
old Minolta Dynax I noticed it had ISO settings similar to those on
the digital camera. The manual says it can can override the value of
the ISO value on the film.Has anyone experimented with these settings.
The range is pretty exciting from 16 to 6400.

Gerard

Hello Gerard.

The film speed can be overridden by the camera's setting but the film will
still remain at its original ASA value.
Put a 400 ASA film in the camera and it remains a 400 ASA film. Set the
camera to 800 ASA and the film will be under-exposed by one stop. Set the
camera to 200 ASA and the film will be over-exposed by one stop.

You can use this to "push" or "pull" the film but I always preferred to
start with the ASA setting I wished to use and not override a film with a
different ASA setting.

By the way - hope I've got the numbers correct! You quoted ISO and 16 to
6400 but ISO values would be 21, 24, 27 etc whereas ASA values would indeed
be in the range of 16 to 6400.

Regards, Ian.

Old July 27th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jim

"Gerard" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi to all.
After using a 5MP Kodak digital camera for the past 5 years I've
decided to go back to film camera. While I was taking the dust of my
old Minolta Dynax I noticed it had ISO settings similar to those on
the digital camera. The manual says it can can override the value of
the ISO value on the film.Has anyone experimented with these settings.
The range is pretty exciting from 16 to 6400.

Gerard

One nifty use for this capability involves the use of K200 with flourescent
lights. If you set the ISO to 400 or above while using this film, and
employ push processing, the color shift that takes place between the layers
makes the image look almost correct. Once ujpon a time, Kodak mentioned
this result.

Jim

Old July 27th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Gerard

On Jul 27, 2:00 pm, "Fred Anonymous" wrote:
"Gerard" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Ian for your reply.
The manual says the ISO values change from 16 to 6400.

Gerard

Old July 28th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Stephen

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:00:47 +0100, "Fred Anonymous"
had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

By the way - hope I've got the numbers correct! You quoted ISO and 16 to
6400 but ISO values would be 21, 24, 27 etc whereas ASA values would indeed
be in the range of 16 to 6400.

The 21,24,27... are DIN film speed numbers.
The 16-6400 are ASA.

Combine the two in the format ASA/DIN and you get ISO, which is
usually stated using the ASA number only.

Stephen
Old July 30th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

Gerard wrote:
Hi to all.
After using a 5MP Kodak digital camera for the past 5 years I've
decided to go back to film camera. While I was taking the dust of my
old Minolta Dynax I noticed it had ISO settings similar to those on
the digital camera. The manual says it can can override the value of
the ISO value on the film.Has anyone experimented with these settings.
The range is pretty exciting from 16 to 6400.

Gerard

Most film cameras made to read DX coded film have this feature.

I pretty much limit it to rating color print (C-41) about 1/3 stop lower
(i.e. ISO 400 film rated at ISO 320) and slide film (E-6) about 1/3 stop
higher (ISO 64 film rated at ISO 100).

No need to adjust processing to get slightly denser negatives or
slightly more saturated slides.

You can also use it to Push/Pull whole stops, but you then have to
remember to tell whoever processes the film what you've done ... "I shot
this roll of ISO 400 film at ISO 1600" (2 stop push).

If you forget, you're gonna' end up with some mighty thin negatives (or
slides for that matter).
Old July 30th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

Fred Anonymous wrote:

By the way - hope I've got the numbers correct! You quoted ISO and 16 to
6400 but ISO values would be 21, 24, 27 etc whereas ASA values would indeed
be in the range of 16 to 6400.

It's DIN (Deutsche Industrie Norm - German Industry Standard) that comes
21, 24, 27 ... actually 21°, 24°, 27° ...

Film used to be rated both ASA & DIN, but the ISO standard absorbed both
with a linear ISO scale that corresponds to the old ASA scale and
logarithmic ISO scale that corresponds to the old DIN scale.

So, where you used to have film that was 100 ASA/21° DIN, you now have
film that's ISO 100/21°.
Old July 30th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

Gerard wrote:
On Jul 27, 2:00 pm, "Fred Anonymous" wrote:

By the way - hope I've got the numbers correct! You quoted ISO and 16 to
6400 but ISO values would be 21, 24, 27 etc whereas ASA values would indeed
be in the range of 16 to 6400.

Regards, Ian.

Thanks Ian for your reply.
The manual says the ISO values change from 16 to 6400.

Gerard

Yep, ISO linear scale.
Old July 30th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

Jim wrote:
"Gerard" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi to all.
After using a 5MP Kodak digital camera for the past 5 years I've
decided to go back to film camera. While I was taking the dust of my
old Minolta Dynax I noticed it had ISO settings similar to those on
the digital camera. The manual says it can can override the value of
the ISO value on the film.Has anyone experimented with these settings.
The range is pretty exciting from 16 to 6400.

Gerard

One nifty use for this capability involves the use of K200 with flourescent
lights. If you set the ISO to 400 or above while using this film, and
employ push processing, the color shift that takes place between the layers
makes the image look almost correct. Once ujpon a time, Kodak mentioned
this result.

Jim

Although, as I recall, they suggested a 1-1/3 stop push to ISO 500.