Minolta MC/MD lens use with Sony A100

Old December 29th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wayne Smith

Default Minolta MC/MD lens use with Sony A100

I have some old MC and MD lenses, and there appears to be an adapter
available for using them on a Sony A100 digital body. Anyone here
using them that way? I considered selling them on ebay, but found
they would fetch almost nothing! I've been thinking about switching
to a DSLR from a point and shoot, and the Sony looks good if I can use
them - especially my 400 f/5.6 APO, which would become a 600. From
what I've found on the net, it seems I could use them only in aperture
priority mode, and would have to meter while stopped down. Is that
all correct?

--
Wayne Smith
Old December 29th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stephen

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 00:04:04 -0600, Wayne Smith
had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

I have some old MC and MD lenses, and there appears to be an adapter
available for using them on a Sony A100 digital body. Anyone here
using them that way? I considered selling them on ebay, but found

The adapter has a lens in it to compensate for the longer lens to
flange distance of the A mount. It introduces flare, lowers contrast
and any lens that has anything that sticks out past the mount on the
lens will not mount on the adapter. It's not worth the $30 they used
to sell for.

they would fetch almost nothing! I've been thinking about switching
to a DSLR from a point and shoot, and the Sony looks good if I can use
them - especially my 400 f/5.6 APO, which would become a 600. From
what I've found on the net, it seems I could use them only in aperture
priority mode, and would have to meter while stopped down. Is that
all correct?

Manual focus and metering in stop down mode only. Anti-shake not
usable.

Stephen
Old December 29th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wayne Smith

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:13:27 -0500, Stephen wrote:

[...]

Oh, I see. I read that some of the adapters had a lens element in
them, but somehow got the impression that this one did not. That is
not good news. I guess I'll just leave the MC and MD lenses for my
heirs to sell as scrap metal. ;-) Thanks for the info, Stephen.

p.s. Why isn't the anti-shake usable? Since it's part of the body, I
thought it might be.
--
Wayne Smith
Old December 29th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stephen Henning

Stephen wrote:

Anti-shake not usable.

Anti-shake is useable since the A100 moves the CCD to compensate. There
is nothing in the lens pertaining to antishake.

All auto focus Minolta lenses work in the A100. Unfortunately our older
lenses don't.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old December 30th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stephen

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:08:49 -0600, Wayne Smith
had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

p.s. Why isn't the anti-shake usable? Since it's part of the body, I
thought it might be.

The antishake needs to know the focal length of the lens.

Stephen
Old December 30th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wayne Smith

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:04:00 -0500, Stephen wrote:

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:08:49 -0600, Wayne Smith
had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

p.s. Why isn't the anti-shake usable? Since it's part of the body, I
thought it might be.

The antishake needs to know the focal length of the lens.

Stephen

OK, thanks for the replies and info. Think I'll just save the $ and
stay with the Canon p/s.
--
Wayne Smith
Old December 31st 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stephen Henning

Stephen wrote:

The antishake needs to know the focal length of the lens.

According to the Sony site, the A100 is compatible with the following
Konica-Minolta lens:

Lens Type Lens Specifications Model No.

Non-zoom lens AF 16/2.8 FISH-EYE 2578
Non-zoom lens AF 20/2.8 2579
Non-zoom lens AF 20/2.8 NEW 2641
Non-zoom lens AF 24/2.8 2566
Non-zoom lens AF 24/2.8 NEW 2642
Non-zoom lens AF 28/2 2596
Non-zoom lens AF 28/2 NEW 2668
Non-zoom lens AF 28/2.8 2557
Non-zoom lens AF 35/1.4 G 2591
Non-zoom lens AF 35/1.4 G NEW 2666
Non-zoom lens AF 35/2 2597
Non-zoom lens AF 35/2 NEW 2667
Non-zoom lens AF 50/1.4 2562
Non-zoom lens AF 50/1.4 NEW 2662
Non-zoom lens AF 50/1.7 2550
Non-zoom lens AF 50/1.7 NEW 2613
Non-zoom lens AF 85/1.4 2592
Non-zoom lens AF 85/1.4 G 2629
Non-zoom lens AF 85/1.4 G (D) 2677
Non-zoom lens AF 85/1.4 G (D) Limited 2689
Non-zoom lens AF 100/2 2598
Non-zoom lens AF 100/2.8 SOFT 2648
Non-zoom lens AF 135/2.8 2556
Non-zoom lens STF135/2.8 [T4.5] 2656
Non-zoom lens AF APO 20 0/2.8 2593
Non-zoom lens High Speed AF APO 200/2.8 G 2612
Non-zoom lens AF APO 300/2.8 2563
Non-zoom lens High Speed AF APO 300/2.8 G 2608
Non-zoom lens AF APO 300/2.8 G(D) SSM 2674
Non-zoom lens AF APO 300/4 G 2640
Non-zoom lens AF APO 400/4.5 G 2651
Non-zoom lens AF REFLEX 500/8 2572
Non-zoom lens AF APO 600/4 2565
Non-zoom lens High Speed AF APO 600/4 G 2609
Macro lens AF MACRO 50/2.8 2564
Macro lens AF MACRO 50/2.8 NEW 2638
Macro lens AF MACRO 50/2.8 (D) 2675
Macro lens AF MACRO 50/3.5 2646
Macro lens AF MACRO 100/2.8 2581
Macro lens AF MACRO 100/2.8 NEW 2639
Macro lens AF MACRO 100/2.8 (D) 2676
Macro lens AF APO TE LE MACRO 200/4 G 2658
Macro lens AF MACRO ZOOM 1x-3x /F1.7-2.8 2594
Zoom lens AF 17-35/ 2.8-4 (D) 2695
Zoom lens AF 17-35/3.5 G 2654
Zoom lens AF 20-35/3.5-4.5 2657
Zoom lens AF 24-50/4 2558
Zoom lens AF 24-50/4 NEW 2632
Zoom lens AF 24-85/3.5-4.5 2636
Zoom lens AF 24-85/3.5-4.5 NEW 2660
Zoom lens AF 24-105/3.5-4.5 (D) 2672
Zoom lens AF 28-70/2.8 G 2620
Zoom lens AF 28-75/2.8 (D) 2696
Zoom lens AF 28-80/3.5-5.6 2659
Zoom lens AF 28-80/3.5-5.6 II 2670
Zoom lens AF 28-80/3.5-5.6 (D) 2683
Zoom lens AF 28-80/4-5.6 2633
Zoom lens AF 28-85/3.5-4.5 2552
Zoom lens AF 28-85/3.5-4.5 NEW 2586
Zoom lens AF 28-100/3.5-5.6 (D) 2692
Zoom lens AF 28-105/3.5-4.5 2635
Zoom lens AF 28-105/3.5-4.5 NEW 2661
Zoom lens AF 28-135/4-4.5 2553
Zoom lens AF 35-70/4 2551
Zoom lens AF 35-70/3.5-4.5 2643
Zoom lens AF 35-70/3.5-4.5 NEW 2652
Zoom lens AF 35-80/4-5.6 2605
Zoom lens AF 35-80/4.5-5.6 II 2671
Zoom lens AF 35-105/3.5-4.5 2554
Zoom lens AF 35-105/3.5-4.5 2585
Zoom lens AF APO 70-200/2.8 G (D) SSM 2682
Zoom lens AF 70-210/4.5-5.6 2588
Zoom lens AF 70-210/4 2555
Zoom lens AF 70-210/4.5-5.6 NEW 2634
Zoom lens AF 70-210/4.5-5.6 II 2669
Zoom lens AF 75-300/4.5-5.6 2561
Zoom lens AF 75-300/4.5-5.6 NEW 2649
Zoom lens AF 75-300/4.5-5.6 II 2665
Zoom lens AF 75-300/4.5-5.6 (D) 2684
Zoom lens AF APO 80-200/2.8 2589
Zoom lens High Speed AF APO 80-200/2.8 G 2628
Zoom lens AF 80-200/4.5-5.6 2604
Zoom lens AF 100-200/4.5 2560
Zoom lens AF 100-300/4.5-5.6 2606
Zoom lens AF APO 100-300/4.5-5.6 2631
Zoom lens AF APO 100-300/4.5-5.6 (D) 2681
Zoom lens AF APO 100-400/4.5-6.7 2644
Xi lens AF Xi 28-80/4-5.6 2618
Xi lens AF Xi 28-105/3.5-4.5 2615
Xi lens AF PZ 35-80/4-5.6 2624
Xi lens AF Xi 35-200/4.5-5.6 2616
Xi lens AF Xi 80-200/4.5-5.6 2619
Xi lens AF Xi 100-300/4.5-5.6 2621
DT lens AF DT 11-18/4.5-5.6 (D) 2698
DT lens AF DT 18-70/3.5-5.6 (D) 2697
DT lens AF DT 18-200/3.5-6.3 (D) 2699
Tele converter 1.4x TELE CONVERTER APO 2590
Tele converter 2x TELE CONVERTER APO 2601
Tele converter 1.4x TELE CONVERTER APO II 2610
Tele converter 2x TELE CONVERTER APO II 2611
Tele converter 1.4x TELE CONVERTER APO (D) 2687
Tele converter 2x TELE CONVERTER APO (D) 2688