washinton D.C photo tech

Old October 22nd 04, 02:09 PM
karl kuykendall

Default washinton D.C photo tech

hi folks,

I am a Factory trained Photo Equipment technician living in the washington
DC area. with over 15 years of photographic equipment repair experience!

I am thinking of starting a repair/calibration business to compete with the
two other businesses in the area.

i will be offering services at prices that are half of my former employers,
to individuals and small businesses and 25% less on larger commercial and
government facilities,

right now i am offering "used purchase" checkout services which include
initial inspection, serviceability survey (are parts available),

my first 5 clients will pay only $45 per hour...compare this to $125 my old
employer would charge...

my only limitation would be parts ordering, however you all should be aware
that for the last 3 years, the established commercial guys have not been
replacing stock in thier service departments......so who ever does service
for you will almost alway have to order parts, and you will be subject to
the normal delivery time. also here is an area you may save money...parts
are sold with a VAR pricing scheme...that is in addition to the retail price
it is marked up again...if the manufaturer will sell direct you may be able
to save alot of $$$

minilabs
enlargers
copy cameras
processors

I hope I am not posting this against any rules however there dosen't seem to
be a specific newsgroup called rec.photo.marketplace.darkroom.repair....yet

good luck and don't completly abandon film yet..

Old November 15th 04, 04:55 PM
karl kuykendall

I should have named the original post better...anyone who needs a minilab,
enlarger, or processor checked out before you buy it , in the greater DC,
baltimore MD, or virginia area just remove the "dotgoeshere"and add a dot to
my reply notice.
"karl kuykendall"

I can also look at other types of equipment, computers, color management
systems, scanners, plotters, color lazer printers etc...however some
inspections might be cost prohibitive....still only $45 per hour portal to
portal.

best regards to all my silver halide friends