Physiograms

Old October 15th 05, 05:54 PM
Barry Pearson

Default Physiograms

I hesitate to call these art. But I'm not sure where else to post this.

I have a number of pages, and many photographs, about "swinging light +
swinging camera" pictures:

http://www.barry.pearson.name/articles/physiograms/

The originals, which I took when at school over 40 years ago, may be of
interest:

http://www.barry.pearson.name/photog...ysiograms0.htm

I have recently added various filters and layer styles to many of
these:

http://www.barry.pearson.name/photog...hysiograms.htm

I have also added some web-effects, using Java applets (not mine) to
some of these, for example:

http://www.barry.pearson.name/photog...s_22_10e_3.htm

http://www.barry.pearson.name/photog...s_20_24c_3.htm

Other people are also doing physiograms:

http://www.barry.pearson.name/articl...references.htm

Enjoy!

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/

Old October 18th 05, 12:20 PM
no_name

Barry Pearson wrote:

I hesitate to call these art. But I'm not sure where else to post this.

These are called Lissajous patterns after the French physicist Jules
Antoine Lissajous who discovered them. He used sounds of different
frequencies to vibrate a mirror, and reflected a beam of light off it to
trace patterns.

Lissajous' setup was similar to the apparatus which is used today to
project laser light shows, so you might try in any group about the band
Pink Floyd.

Or electronics/physics/engineering forums. They might be interested in
them as art.
Old October 22nd 05, 05:03 PM
Barry Pearson

no_name wrote:
Barry Pearson wrote:

I hesitate to call these art. But I'm not sure where else to post this.

These are called Lissajous patterns after the French physicist Jules
Antoine Lissajous who discovered them. He used sounds of different
frequencies to vibrate a mirror, and reflected a beam of light off it to
trace patterns.

I have a section of the website that talks about Lissajous figures:
http://www.barry.pearson.name/articl...ams/shapes.htm

Normally, the term refers to two linear harmonic motions at right
angles. Some of the photographs are like that. The spreadsheet provided
can draw a whole variety of Lissajous figures.

Others are based on twin-elliptical effects. These are not normally
refered to as Lissajous figures. The spreadsheet can draw those too.

[snip]
Or electronics/physics/engineering forums. They might be interested in
them as art.

Interesting idea! Thanks.