Exif date and time change

Old September 6th 09, 01:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dimitris M

Default Exif date and time change

I use Lightroom to import and manage photos. Often when I have to import
photo's from many cameras I synchronize the time between them before the
photos are taken and then I use the custom renamer function during the
import to rename photos according to the date and time of the capture. For
ex I rename photos like "20090815_203245_name.NEF" that means that the photo
is taken at 2009, Aug 15 at 20:32'45''

That way I can synchronize photos between many cameras. But if I have not
synchronized the cameras before the event, I have to change the exif date
and time capture later by altering the value. So I need a photo (renamer or
exif editor?) program that will be able to alter this exif value in batch.
For ex, to add 1:15' in the exif "date taken" value to all files of a
folder.

Can you suggest a programm that can do that?

Thanks
--
Dimitris M

Old September 6th 09, 02:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Elliott Roper

In article 1252240618.805981@athprx04, Dimitris M
wrote:

I use Lightroom to import and manage photos. Often when I have to import
photo's from many cameras I synchronize the time between them before the
photos are taken and then I use the custom renamer function during the
import to rename photos according to the date and time of the capture. For
ex I rename photos like "20090815_203245_name.NEF" that means that the photo
is taken at 2009, Aug 15 at 20:32'45''

That way I can synchronize photos between many cameras. But if I have not
synchronized the cameras before the event, I have to change the exif date
and time capture later by altering the value. So I need a photo (renamer or
exif editor?) program that will be able to alter this exif value in batch.
For ex, to add 1:15' in the exif "date taken" value to all files of a
folder.

Can you suggest a programm that can do that?

I don't know how well it sits with Lightroom, but ExifTool by Phil
Harvey
http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
(see the date/time shift feature on that web page.

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
Old September 6th 09, 02:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Dimitris M wrote:
I use Lightroom to import and manage photos. Often when I have to import
photo's from many cameras I synchronize the time between them before the
photos are taken and then I use the custom renamer function during the
import to rename photos according to the date and time of the capture. For
ex I rename photos like "20090815_203245_name.NEF" that means that the photo
is taken at 2009, Aug 15 at 20:32'45''

That way I can synchronize photos between many cameras. But if I have not
synchronized the cameras before the event, I have to change the exif date
and time capture later by altering the value. So I need a photo (renamer or
exif editor?) program that will be able to alter this exif value in batch.
For ex, to add 1:15' in the exif "date taken" value to all files of a
folder.

Can you suggest a programm that can do that?

With a bit of programming (script) you should be able to do that with
EXIFTOOL (maybe even directly without a script). I'm not sure if the
source code is public so that you could modify it for that specific purpose.

Old September 7th 09, 06:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dimitris M

Lightroom do that shift for complete hours as batch. I can do the shift by
+/- 1,2,3... hours, but not for -1:22'32''. I have not find a way to do
that. It can do that , but one at a time
--
Dimitris M

lightroom itself.

Old September 7th 09, 09:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Elliott Roper

In article 1252299937.686986@athprx04, Dimitris M
wrote:

Lightroom do that shift for complete hours as batch. I can do the shift by
+/- 1,2,3... hours, but not for -1:22'32''. I have not find a way to do
that. It can do that , but one at a time

I tried Exiftool on that specific problem. It will work and does so
rather cleverly.
It is a command line program, but the exact command you want is in the
documentation as an example.

The documentation mentions a Windows GUI front end companion program, I
have no way of testing whether that works, because I only have Macs.

If you are on a Mac, describe exactly what you need to do to what
images where, and I'll test it for you. Windows command line and file
system is too different from Unix for my untested advice to be safe.

Exiftool is free and work on both Mac and Windows. But as I said
before, I don't use Lightroom, and I might need some help understanding
the structure of its managed image library if it has one.

Old September 7th 09, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce Uttley

[...]

I use a command line tool called 'jhead' to make changes to the
internal exif timestamps, to set the timestamp of the image files
and to rename the image files with date/time information. The
Exif Jpeg header manipulation tool is available for Windows,
Linux and OS-X.

There's more information and the download for this freeware tool
at: http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/

Old September 7th 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Dimitris M wrote:
Lightroom do that shift for complete hours as batch. I can do the shift by
+/- 1,2,3... hours, but not for -1:22'32''. I have not find a way to do
that. It can do that , but one at a time

Dimitris-

Are you using LR version 2.4?

If so, the last (bottom) item on the list will allow you to adjust by
any increment you choose, but I think they have to be in the same day to
start with. Then you can select all, do the adjustment on the first one,
and the rest will be incremented by the same amount.

--
john mcwilliams
Old September 8th 09, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dimitris M

Are you using LR version 2.4?

Mmm! LR 2.2 i have.
--
Dimitris M

Old September 8th 09, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dimitris M

Thanks Eliott, I have download it some hours ago, seems simple and in fact I
like the command line programms. I have read the instructions and seems
simple. I have not find the time to try it, but I hope that I will do it
tomorrow. Thanks again.
--
Dimitris M