LCD/TFT Screens

Old August 5th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Lee

Default LCD/TFT Screens

I am sure this has been raised many times before, but help would be
appreciated. My present computer has reached the stage where I should be
replacing it. However, all new computers seem to come with LCD/TFT monitors,
whereas my old computer has a CRT monitor. I can zoom in and out with ease
and can drag images across the screen, and the colours are pretty good too.
But I have been reading all sorts of things which suggest that LCD/TFT
monitors have lots of shortcomings when it comes to editing and viewing
digital camera images, and that CRTs are best.

What has been your experience?

Many thanks

John

Old August 5th 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 16:09:34 +0100, "John Lee"
wrote:

I am sure this has been raised many times before, but help would be
appreciated. My present computer has reached the stage where I should be
replacing it. However, all new computers seem to come with LCD/TFT monitors,
whereas my old computer has a CRT monitor. I can zoom in and out with ease
and can drag images across the screen, and the colours are pretty good too.
But I have been reading all sorts of things which suggest that LCD/TFT
monitors have lots of shortcomings when it comes to editing and viewing
digital camera images, and that CRTs are best.

What has been your experience?

Many thanks

I upgraded from a CRT to a Samsung flat-screen LCD. I follow the
Adobe Photoshop groups, and Samsung seems to be the favorite of the
medium-priced monitors. I'm very pleased with mine.

I have a wide screen 22", and that works very well with Photoshop. I
can place the palettes off to the left or right and not have them
overlap my project. In my image viewer, I can view two images at one
time and see more of the image than I could on my CRT.

I dread buying a new desktop, though, since most are only available
with Vista, and no one seems pleased with Vista. I hope Dell
continues to offer XP since all of my programs are Windows-based.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old August 5th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chuck Olson

"John Lee" wrote in message
I am sure this has been raised many times before, but help would be
appreciated. My present computer has reached the stage where I should be
replacing it. However, all new computers seem to come with LCD/TFT
monitors, whereas my old computer has a CRT monitor. I can zoom in and out
with ease and can drag images across the screen, and the colours are pretty
good too. But I have been reading all sorts of things which suggest that
LCD/TFT monitors have lots of shortcomings when it comes to editing and
viewing digital camera images, and that CRTs are best.

What has been your experience?

Many thanks

John

I went from a very nice Sony CRT to a very nice Sony LCD - - both had about
the same features except the LCD didn't weigh a ton, like the CRT. And I
expect the LCD will stay running a lot longer since it doesn't have to deal
with super high voltage and magnetic deflection as in the CRT.

Of course, when you change brands or compare high end to low end, there will
be operating differences, but not due to just the difference in technology.

Pretty much, whatever the software can do to a picture on a CRT, like
zooming and editing digital images, it can do it on an LCD just as easily.
Also, if you like to look at Hi-Def images, you'll want a monitor with close
to a 16:9 aspect ratio, or at least 1920 pixels horizontally - - hard to
find in a CRT.

Chuck

Old August 5th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

tony cooper wrote:
[]
I dread buying a new desktop, though, since most are only available
with Vista, and no one seems pleased with Vista. I hope Dell
continues to offer XP since all of my programs are Windows-based.

Try actually using Vista instead of listening to all the armchair critics.
I wouldn't suggest upgrading an older PC which is running fine on XP, but
with a decent new PC (dual-core and 2GB memory) you should have nothing to
fear. I have Vista on a couple of PCs here and everything seems to be
running just fine. I'm pleased with Vista.

Cheers,
David

Old August 5th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ed Mullikin

"Chuck Olson" wrote in message
. ..

"John Lee" wrote in message
[...]

I had Vista on a new laptop and it had some things I liked so I put it on my
regular desktop. Things went to hell in a handbasket due to incompatible
programs that I had on my desktop. I had to buy a new printer. It probably
cost me $400 extra. Getting back to the subject, I have a widescreen LCD by
LG and the colors are good.

Old August 5th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
gpaleo

"John Lee" wrote

I am sure this has been raised many times before, but help would be
appreciated. My present computer has reached the stage where I should be
replacing it. However, all new computers seem to come with LCD/TFT
monitors, whereas my old computer has a CRT monitor. I can zoom in and out
with ease and can drag images across the screen, and the colours are
pretty good too. But I have been reading all sorts of things which suggest
that LCD/TFT monitors have lots of shortcomings when it comes to editing
and viewing digital camera images, and that CRTs are best.

What has been your experience?

Many thanks

John

Many people don't realize that there are a lot of different technologies
involved in flat panel displays. Try to get one that is at least S-IPS with
as wide a gamut as posible.

Old August 5th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
clandestin_écureuil

wrote:

[...]

I am puzzled. Why can't you continue to use the OS that you already have if
you purchase a new system? I use a Mac mostly with an LCD screen of course,
but calibrated, but I also have a PC, a new one that at the time of
purchase, I had loaded with XP-Pro on the basis that I already owned a
legal license to that software. From what I hear many people are opting out
of Vista. I actually read a report in the Canberra Times a few weeks ago
that said that Microsoft had extended the period that it would support XP
on new machines. Was that incorrrect?

Secret Squirrel

--

Ingrid Rose

clandestin.ecureuil(insert missing symbol here)gmail.com
Old August 5th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Busted Frog

David J Taylor wrote:
tony cooper wrote:
[]
I dread buying a new desktop, though, since most are only available
with Vista, and no one seems pleased with Vista. I hope Dell
continues to offer XP since all of my programs are Windows-based.

Try actually using Vista instead of listening to all the armchair critics.
I wouldn't suggest upgrading an older PC which is running fine on XP, but
with a decent new PC (dual-core and 2GB memory) you should have nothing to
fear. I have Vista on a couple of PCs here and everything seems to be
running just fine. I'm pleased with Vista.

Cheers,
David

I have spent a lot of my working week for many months now removing Vista
and reinstalling XP for people who don't listen to critics but who
simply can't cope with the problems associated with Vista. Even Bill
Gates, on his way out the door admitted that Vista had problems and
promised that the next operating system would solve them. MS has already
started with previews of the next OS in an attempt to retain ****ed off
customers.

Vista's rep has nothing to do with armchair critics, it has to with a
pathetic operating system and real life issues.

Ribbit
Old August 6th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Garry Knight

tony cooper wrote:

I hope Dell continues to offer XP since all of my programs are
Windows-based.

They are at the moment. The machine comes preloaded with XP but with a Vista
license sticker on it, and the restore DVD also has Vista. One of their
tech guys that I spoke to said that Microsoft allow them to offer "XP
downgrades" but that they can't give out XP restore disks with the
machines. He also said that a) the Vista sticker covers use with the XP
downgrade, and b) if you need to restore the system you don't need to use
the Vista restore DVD, you can reinstall from any XP DVD and enter the
product code from the Vista sticker on the machine.

But I think that all of their desktop machines (and probably laptops, too)
are Vista-capable - as long as you get more than the basic 1GB of RAM, that
is.

--
Garry Knight

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight

Old August 6th 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Atheist Chaplain[_3_]

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
But I have been reading all sorts of things which suggest that LCD/TFT
monitors have lots of shortcomings when it comes to editing and viewing
digital camera images, and that CRTs are best.

What has been your experience?

Many thanks

John

John

I too went with a LCD. A 24" from Dell. Lots of space for images etc.
I still use PS Elements 2. Tried Elements 5. What a dud. Blah. Dumped
it and still with Elements 2.

The big thing seems to get one with the resolution up. 1000:1 or
better. And of course the pixel thing needs to be up. I think mine is
1980 X 1200 or better. I do have a better video card. HDMI type I
think. My son set it all up for me. He does this for a living. My
former 19" CRT was great but I wanted the space.

And as soon as I can sandwich the time in I am building another
computer to use. My present computer for photography is a Dell. 4 GB
and reasonably fast. But I want more memory, 8GB, and a quad processor
or 2 duals. Will be using an Intel workstation board. I have
everything on hand except for the board and procesor/s.

Bob AZ

what OS will you be using for that 8 gig of ram, because if you use a 32bit
windows OS your ****ing 4 gig away.

Don Hirschberg