Kodachrome processing- still available??

Old September 2nd 04, 12:08 PM
pomodorojimmy

Default Kodachrome processing- still available??

Hi, I'm in Australia and have noticed that I can no longer find
kodachrome. I have some rolls left (35mm) and I was wondering if
anyone knows if this stuff is still being processed by kodak and how
long for?

Thanks
Old September 2nd 04, 01:33 PM
James Robinson

pomodorojimmy wrote:

Hi, I'm in Australia and have noticed that I can no longer find
kodachrome. I have some rolls left (35mm) and I was wondering if
anyone knows if this stuff is still being processed by kodak and how
long for?

Kodak is still selling Kodachrome film around the world, though not
actively marketing it. You might have to look in specialty camera stores
to find it, or purchase by mail order.

If Kodak chooses to discontinue it, which they have not said they are
intending to do, so this is only hypothetical, they typically support
processing until the expiry date of any film they sell. They did this,
as an example, when they discontinued the larger format version of
Kodachrome. Therefore, even if they discontinued the film tomorrow,
processing would be available for several years.

Right now, there are three labs around the world that still process
Kodachrome: In Japan, Switzerland, and the USA. I believe any film from
Australia is shipped to Japan for processing. You should contact the
in-country Kodak office to find out where you can take or send the film
to get it processed.
Old September 3rd 04, 01:41 AM
Derek Gee

"James Robinson" wrote in message
pomodorojimmy wrote:

[...]

The K-14 labs are down to two now. Dwane's in the US, and Kodak's Swiss
lab. The Japanese lab closed in June 2004.

Derek

Old September 3rd 04, 03:29 AM
James Robinson

Derek Gee wrote:

The K-14 labs are down to two now. Dwane's in the US, and Kodak's Swiss
lab. The Japanese lab closed in June 2004.

There were two labs in Japan, and only one shut down in June.

I believe the Horiuchi lab in Tokyo is still processing Kodachrome.

Old September 3rd 04, 08:18 PM
Alan Browne

pomodorojimmy wrote:

Hi, I'm in Australia and have noticed that I can no longer find
kodachrome. I have some rolls left (35mm) and I was wondering if
anyone knows if this stuff is still being processed by kodak and how
long for?

K25 is discon (but can still be processed).
K64 and K200 are still being sold by Kodak
http://tinyurl.com/6a3c5

Processing centers have shut down and only a couple are left in
North America. eg: Toronto used to have a center, that work is
now shipped to New Jersey (I'm told).

No idea about Oz or Asia.

Some have reported quality issues with the remaining ctrs.

G'luck.

Old September 4th 04, 08:43 AM
pomodorojimmy

I talked to kodak tody. Kodachrome is no longer available in Oz !Lack
of sales is to blame, thanks to pros switching to digital. Magazines
used to use heaps of kodachrome before digital.
Completely discontinued. Lookout other countries!