velvia, saturation, medium format and digital

Old September 2nd 04, 03:53 AM
Michael Scarpitti

Udie Lafing wrote in message ...
What a twit you are Scarpitti.

The Uranium Committee dispenses sound advice.
Old September 2nd 04, 03:53 AM
Michael Scarpitti

Old September 2nd 04, 04:38 AM
Udie Lafing

They should worry about keeping their nuts from falling
off and dropping into these newsgroups.

--
?
?

Old September 2nd 04, 07:57 AM
Geshu Iam

"Steve Lefevre" wrote in message ...

... How do you measure color accuracy? Is there
a subjective element to a person's experience of the color ...

When you approaching a traffic light, can you tell the difference
between the light colors? Is it subjective or objective? Of course
anyone can measure the color accuracy, it's just that some think color
accuracy does not matter to some degree. And that is a matter of
taste.

... All the nature photographers said they used velvia, ...

This is probably quite true in USA, at least in California. I found
this once when I went to Camel, the little lovely "city by the sea",
where there are lots of galeries. I found that almost all paitings,
photography, "fine-art", etc. are Velvia-like. All have strong, bold
colors -- even the B&W!. Something you don't always see in the
museums. I've seen a painting that makes the Paris Marais looks like
the Mexico. -- Nothing wrong, of course. That's what he sees, or,
that's what the buyers would pay.

Old September 2nd 04, 05:20 PM
Steve Lefevre

"Geshu Iam" wrote in message
om...
"Steve Lefevre" wrote in message

... How do you measure color accuracy? Is there
a subjective element to a person's experience of the color ...

When you approaching a traffic light, can you tell the difference
between the light colors? Is it subjective or objective? Of course
anyone can measure the color accuracy, it's just that some think color
accuracy does not matter to some degree. And that is a matter of
taste.

So what film is the most accurate?

Here's my thing. I like walking around in nature, looking at little things
like veins in leaves, insects, patterns of insect holes in bark. I've been
extremely unimpressed with my photographs, but the photos shot with velvia
seem to most accurately re-create *my experience* in nature. I'm trying to
figure out if my attitude towards nature brightens what I perceive, or if
actually regular film is dull, as one of the velvia-using nature
photograhers told me.

Steve

Old September 2nd 04, 05:49 PM
Gregory Blank

Its not an easily answered question, perhaps your perception
is that the colors and textures of nature are somewhat magical.
Or the film just matches your perception of them,...its really
not unusual for people to have different perceptions of
color,...color is emotional,....which is why--- for me
B&W is a more thought provoking media, the image only stands
on composition and light.

Never the less because Velvia is such a vibrant film you are
willing to except its rendition as what you perceived,....
when in fact if you held the slide up too the original scene
it might in fact be somewhat different.

Most imagery I've seen that was done on Velvia i like, but
you could try shooting several films of the same experience
and look at them under the same conditions. Lots of photographers
shoot color patches and grey cards to form a "real time impression
of what the film is capable of.

Velvia is slow, but it is very sharp & tight grained. It could also
be that your lab does real well with this particular film versus the
others you have tried.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old September 2nd 04, 10:24 PM
Gordon Moat

Steve Lefevre wrote:

"Geshu Iam" wrote in message
om...
"Steve Lefevre" wrote in message

... How do you measure color accuracy? Is there
a subjective element to a person's experience of the color ...

When you approaching a traffic light, can you tell the difference
between the light colors? Is it subjective or objective? Of course
anyone can measure the color accuracy, it's just that some think color
accuracy does not matter to some degree. And that is a matter of
taste.

So what film is the most accurate?

Kodak claims that Ektachrome 64 Professional is the most colour accurate film
they sell. Some other photographers might tell you that they get better
colour accuracy using Professional Kodachrome 64.

In general, if you go for a higher saturation film, you can always knock the
saturation down a bit for printing. In that case, choosing Velvia, or E100VS,
or similar, might allow more room to get what you feel best matches the
colour in the final printed image.

Here's my thing. I like walking around in nature, looking at little things
like veins in leaves, insects, patterns of insect holes in bark. I've been
extremely unimpressed with my photographs, but the photos shot with velvia
seem to most accurately re-create *my experience* in nature. I'm trying to
figure out if my attitude towards nature brightens what I perceive, or if
actually regular film is dull, as one of the velvia-using nature
photograhers told me.

That could be the situation. I think the idea of lush green plants, and
vibrant nature, could enhance the memory of these places. It is always easier
to lower saturation, than to increase it. While imaging software can be used
to boost colour saturation, it can often look much more "unnatural" than just
using a highly saturated film.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio