Question: Does anyone know how to clean the cmos?

Old May 3rd 05, 10:00 PM
Backbone

Default Question: Does anyone know how to clean the cmos?

Is there some type of chemical that I can use to clean the (canon) cmos sensor?
I'm sittin here with a Q-tip and a bottle of Windex grin perhaps I'll leave
out the Windex and just try and remove spec with Q-tip i.e. have already tried
to blow off with a squeeze blower and air-compressor @ 20psi i.e., don't want
to damage the cmos!. How does the canon tech guys do it?

I have a Canon EOS-1D Mark II
--
There are no words that can be heard unless someone listens....
Remove *flaps* to reply

Old May 3rd 05, 10:19 PM
Charlie Self

Backbone wrote:
Is there some type of chemical that I can use to clean the (canon)

cmos sensor?
I'm sittin here with a Q-tip and a bottle of Windex grin perhaps

I'll leave
out the Windex and just try and remove spec with Q-tip i.e. have

already tried
to blow off with a squeeze blower and air-compressor @ 20psi i.e.,

don't want
to damage the cmos!. How does the canon tech guys do it?

I have a Canon EOS-1D Mark II
--
There are no words that can be heard unless someone listens....
Remove *flaps* to reply

Google "sensor cleaning".

Or: http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
http://www.photo.net/equipment/digital/sensorcleaning/
http://www.visibledust.com/sensorbrush.htm

Fercrissakes, though, use that damned Q tip to clean your ear, not the
sensor.

If you have to have a quick and ready cure, get a can of air and a
make-up brush. Blow the air through the bursh a half dozen times from
all different directions, follow manual directions for raising the
mirror, and--lightly and carefully--brush the sensor filter off.

Then check out the above.

Old May 3rd 05, 10:46 PM
Charles Schuler

"Backbone" wrote in message
news
Is there some type of chemical that I can use to clean the (canon) cmos
sensor?
I'm sittin here with a Q-tip and a bottle of Windex grin perhaps I'll
leave
out the Windex and just try and remove spec with Q-tip i.e. have already
tried
to blow off with a squeeze blower and air-compressor @ 20psi i.e., don't
want
to damage the cmos!. How does the canon tech guys do it?

Always try blowing the sensor first. Use a pristine ear syringe or a
"rocket blower" if you want to spend extra money.

Old May 4th 05, 04:17 AM
Gaderian

Backbone wrote:
Is there some type of chemical that I can use to clean the (canon)
cmos sensor? I'm sittin here with a Q-tip and a bottle of Windex
grin perhaps I'll leave out the Windex and just try and remove spec
with Q-tip i.e. have already tried to blow off with a squeeze blower
and air-compressor @ 20psi i.e., don't want to damage the cmos!. How
does the canon tech guys do it?

I have a Canon EOS-1D Mark II

DO NOT use the Q-tip. Most reputable camera stores have kits for this that
includes the fluid.
The professional techncian at Pentax who cleaned the CCD on my *istD used
methol hydrate BUT a very small amount (just enough to moisten the expensive
special cotton paper that was attached to the special tool he was using).
I was also told that small puffs of air from a rubber squeeze bulb with the
camera facing down will usually suffice. But if the sensor does get so
dirty it needs cleaning, they recommend using one of the kits you can find
for about $25.00CAD unless you really know what you are doing.

I was lucky enough to stumble across the Pentax people who cleaned it for
free at a Pentax camera show when they used my camera as a demonstration

Old May 5th 05, 07:11 AM
Backbone

Thanks guys, you were ALL a big help!

Spec Removed!!!
Had a hell of a time getting a piece of gook off the cmos sensor of my camera.
ended up using a Q-Tip, with a drop of "Delta 1 OFR" comes in a spray bottle! I
sprayed into a cup, and dropped one drop onto a Q-tip. I used gloves and
carefully rolled (to remove fuzz) Q-tip between my fingers.
Opened the shutter, and from one end of the sensor I (as instructed by a canon
tech guy!!!!) swabbed the entire cmos with a slight pressure and then back again
until all the liquid evaporated. Had to do it several times until I got it
perfect! Well, it seems to work. everything seems to be okay! 1 day at 400+ nice
shots later.... :-) am a happy camper, once again!

--
There are no words that can be heard unless someone listens....
Remove *flaps* to reply

news