HOW MUCH RAM FORPHOTO EDITING?

Old May 4th 05, 11:24 PM

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:
[snip]
There is NEVER too much RAM...until your system won't recognize more.

[snip]

Well, if the second level cache can't support all the ram you have you
can at some point slow down by adding too much ram. I remember this
from a few years ago, maybe mb manufacturers do a better job now.

Wes

--
Reply to:
Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
Old May 5th 05, 04:16 AM
Stacey

Ron Hunter wrote:

As cheap as machines are why risk (and have
to deal with) viruses etc on a good machine? Save the last one from an
"upgrade" and use it for an internet box running something safe.

Probably some of us aren't quite as paranoid as others....

Not paranoia, just tired of dealing with spyware, viruses etc on a machine
that really has one or two specific uses. Seems silly to me to bog down a
fast machine with AV software and fighting spyware (and risking having to
reinstall the OS and reconfigure the whole color management thing etc) when
an "internet computer" can be had for peanuts. I'm tired of this to the
point of only using Linux for internet access but that's another topic..

--

Stacey
Old May 5th 05, 04:19 AM
MarkČ

wrote in message
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:
[snip]
There is NEVER too much RAM...until your system won't recognize more.

[snip]

Well, if the second level cache can't support all the ram you have you
can at some point slow down by adding too much ram. I remember this
from a few years ago, maybe mb manufacturers do a better job now.

Wes

I'm not sure what you're remembering, but even non-cached RAM is far faster
than HD access/read times.

I can assure you you'll not slow down due to too much RAM.

Old May 5th 05, 05:54 AM
Stacey

MarkČ wrote:

wrote in message
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:
[snip]
There is NEVER too much RAM...until your system won't recognize more.

[snip]

Well, if the second level cache can't support all the ram you have you
can at some point slow down by adding too much ram. I remember this
from a few years ago, maybe mb manufacturers do a better job now.

Wes

I'm not sure what you're remembering, but even non-cached RAM is far
faster than HD access/read times.

He's talking about the old (TX?) pentium one chipsets that would slow to a
crawl if you added more that 64MB of EDO ram. I had one of those and yes
too much ram would force all ram to run uncached which would slow down on
the machine for everything. The only time it helped was if you did things
that would run into the swap file which was painfully slow back then
1-2MBs..

--

Stacey
Old May 5th 05, 07:37 AM

Many thanks to everyone who replied with interesting information on
this topic.

I have decided to upgrade to 1GB RAM and will be very interested to see
the result.

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, UK.

Old May 5th 05, 07:44 AM
MarkČ

wrote in message
oups.com...
Many thanks to everyone who replied with interesting information on
this topic.

I have decided to upgrade to 1GB RAM and will be very interested to see
the result.

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, UK.

You'll be pleased.

Remember...that you're really MORE than doubling the RAM available to PS,
since tons of your 512MB of RAM gets gobbled up by the OS and other
goings-on before PS even starts working with it.

In other words...If windows and other functions gobble up a couple hundred
MB of RAM, you were really only offer PS 300MB or so. you just increased
that theoretical 300 to 800MB.

Free digital Editing Software Charles Kerekes Digital Photography 0 April 17th 05 05:18 PM
7 Steps for Editing Your Photos [email protected] Digital Photography 19 January 24th 05 02:04 PM
JPEG editing MB Digital Photography 44 November 4th 04 08:15 PM
Outdoor photography resources - articles, newsletter, forum, digital editing PT Digital Photography 0 September 13th 04 07:54 PM
Notebook computer for photo editing? Tim Green Digital Photography 3 June 24th 04 09:11 PM