HOW MUCH RAM FORPHOTO EDITING?

Old May 3rd 05, 11:13 AM

Default HOW MUCH RAM FORPHOTO EDITING?

I have 512 MB Ram of which the average 'free RAM is'247MB - my O/S is
Windows XP. Is this enough RAM for editing scanned photos in tiff form(
these can be 20MB plus individually) or should I upgrade to 1GB - or
even MORE?!

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, UK

Old May 3rd 05, 11:48 AM
Gene Palmiter

That should be fine for small files...and 20MP is a small file. Do you have
a second hard drive? If you have an old hard drive setting around install it
and use that as your scratch disk. That will help too. In case you don't
know...its best to use layers so that your edits are not destructive. But,
when you start doing that your file sizes will jump ...and there is no such
thing as too much RAM...but you don't need it yet.

oups.com...

Old May 3rd 05, 07:17 PM
Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

Really!My computer runs japanese (yes, all 2000 of letters loaded in memory)
and doom 3 in 1024X768@high with just 512 MB of ram.Windows 2k and xp are
very effective in memory usage and cpu load, but provided you have taken the
load of your computer of everything unnecesary running on the taskbar (check
it, if more than 3 icons on your taskbar appear then your computer is
overloaded).

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

I have 512 MB Ram of which the average 'free RAM is'247MB - my O/S is
Windows XP. Is this enough RAM for editing scanned photos in tiff form(
these can be 20MB plus individually) or should I upgrade to 1GB - or
even MORE?!

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, UK

Photoshop really eats up RAM, more than just about any application. I'd
suggest 1GB. What if you try stitching a panorama?

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

Old May 3rd 05, 08:30 PM
Craig Flory

I have a gigabyte of Ram and it is ok for using Photoshop CS. But when I
upgrade to Photoshop CS2.0, I'll probably add another 512Megs.Youcan never
have too much ram, but it's little to not have enough..

Craig Flory

Old May 3rd 05, 11:34 PM
Charles Schuler

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 512 MB Ram of which the average 'free RAM is'247MB - my O/S is
Windows XP. Is this enough RAM for editing scanned photos in tiff form(
these can be 20MB plus individually) or should I upgrade to 1GB - or
even MORE?!

512 is good. If you really get serious, 1 GB is better. Don't over-scan,
by the way. 300 dpi is usually the maximum for most work and less works
fine much of the time.

Old May 4th 05, 03:01 AM
MarkČ

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 512 MB Ram of which the average 'free RAM is'247MB - my O/S is
Windows XP. Is this enough RAM for editing scanned photos in tiff form(
these can be 20MB plus individually) or should I upgrade to 1GB - or
even MORE?!

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, UK

Much of that really depends upon how many steps you'd like to be able to
instantly "un-do" without waiting for info to swapped off of the hard-drive
(which eats time).

"History states" of image edits eat memory for lunch.
I like to keep as many states available as possible, so memory is key if
speed is to be maintained.
Windows itself needs a good chunk already, and Photoshop eats it too...even
BEFORE an image is loaded.
There is NEVER too much RAM...until your system won't recognize more.
Short of big RAM, a separate hard drive used as a dedicated scratch disk is
helpful...though nothing compares with tons of RAM. I have two GB RAM, but
would love more.

Free digital Editing Software Charles Kerekes Digital Photography 0 April 17th 05 05:18 PM
7 Steps for Editing Your Photos [email protected] Digital Photography 19 January 24th 05 02:04 PM
JPEG editing MB Digital Photography 44 November 4th 04 08:15 PM
Outdoor photography resources - articles, newsletter, forum, digital editing PT Digital Photography 0 September 13th 04 07:54 PM
Notebook computer for photo editing? Tim Green Digital Photography 3 June 24th 04 09:11 PM