A question for Applefans

Old September 10th 15, 05:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default A question for Applefans

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 00:03:45 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Moreover, the 5S is my current phone, I am well aware of its size,

you might be, however, tony likely is not. until the other day, he had
no idea what model he had.

No, I'm not au courant on phone models of the various makers of
phones. I see no reason to be.

nobody said you had to know the various models of the various makers.

the point is that you didn't know the model of *what* *you* *bought*.

Why should he?

seriously?

do you buy stuff without knowing which model it is?

I don't always remember it.

Right now I'm trying to determine whether my old printer is a Stylus
Pro 3800 or a Photo Pro 3800. I knew it's properties but, beyond being
a 3800, exactly which model it was has never mattered to me until I
decided to try and sell it.

As long as he likes it and likes the price that's all
that needs matter.

that was never in dispute.

Eric Stevens
Old September 10th 15, 05:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 2015-09-09 14:23:46 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

I wanted three features: ability to make and receive phone calls,
ability to take photos (but quality not an issue), touchscreen keypad.
The research required for this was glancing at each phone on display
in the AT&T store.

Additionally, I wanted a phone with a good history of dependibility.

Does this mean you aren't interested in the iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S+, or
the iPad Pro?

iPad Pro? Too big.

iPhone? Too expensive - get a Moto G3 at a fraction of the price.

iPad standard? Was hoping for a better camera (cf. iPhone from last
year) but they are still keeping it a stop down.

Disappointment for me in these launches.

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 10th 15, 06:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

iPad Pro? Too big.

you'd better tell microsoft, who has had a 12" surface for quite a
while.

samsung has had 12" tablets and has recently announced an 18" tablet.

so no, it's not too big.

iPhone? Too expensive - get a Moto G3 at a fraction of the price.

and a fraction of its features.

you're delusional if you think a moto g3 is in any way equivalent to an
iphone. not even remotely close.
Old September 10th 15, 06:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

If you buy a toaster tomorrow, do you need to know the model number?
Phones, like toasters, are utilitarian things.

no they aren't. toasters are commodity products. it still takes the
same time to make toast.

smartphones are a computer in your pocket, a computer that's more
capable than what sat on your desk 10 years ago. they constantly
improve as technology advances.

last week you said you upgraded your desktop system to windows 10 and
then reverted back. that means that not only do you know which
operating system you have installed (mac/win/linux), but which specific
version of it you have.

hardware specs is also something you need to know for app
compatibility, because apps say things such as "requires windows 7 or
later" or "requires minimum 4 gig of memory." without knowing those
details, you would have no idea whether an app can run or not.

do you know which model camera you have and what kind of memory cards
it takes? you talk about your camera in this newsgroup and you buy
compatible memory cards for it, so you must know.

maybe you even think it's a scam that nikon switched from cf to sd, and
also to xqd for the pro cameras.

i also assume you know the difference between a nikon d300 and d3000 as
well as a d70 and a d700.

or maybe you're really a dumb**** and have no clue about anything.

Some dorky people like
you may think the model number is of great imporantance, but there are
people like me who just use the device and don't worry about petty
****.

you just can't stop yourself from turning it into a bash session.
Old September 10th 15, 10:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-10 04:51:32 +0000, David Taylor

On 2015-09-09 14:23:46 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

I wanted three features: ability to make and receive phone calls,
ability to take photos (but quality not an issue), touchscreen keypad.
The research required for this was glancing at each phone on display
in the AT&T store.

Additionally, I wanted a phone with a good history of dependibility.

Does this mean you aren't interested in the iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S+, or
the iPad Pro?

iPad Pro? Too big.

No. The size is intentional. This is not meant to fit in a pocket, and
it is not intended for all users. I suspect it will become the basis
for a range of iPad Pros using the A9X and various sizes of the new
design display.

iPhone? Too expensive - get a Moto G3 at a fraction of the price.

That isn't the point. The Moto G3 isn't an iP6S/iP6+S.
The new phones are priced the same as the prior models, which are now
priced lower.

iPad standard? Was hoping for a better camera (cf. iPhone from last
year) but they are still keeping it a stop down.

Who actually cares about a tablet camera? Tablets make the most awkward
form for a camera. You might as well hold a clipboard out in front of
your face. It is a camera of last resort. So it is good enough.
If you want a better camera buy a DSLR (FF or APS-C), a mirrorless, an
M4/3, or an iPhone 6S.

Disappointment for me in these launches.

It is tough to please everybody.

Savageduck

Old September 10th 15, 10:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 2015-09-10 04:51:32 +0000, David Taylor

On 2015-09-09 14:23:46 +0000, Tony Cooper
said:

[...]

It is. The new iPad is too big for me (and for many users as you
suggest). iPhones are simply overpriced for what they are, and while
the lower price of lower spec models is welcome, you can as much
functionality at under half of the price.

An improved camera would have been the main reason I would have upgraded
an iPad, but the camera in the Moto G3 is as good (for the purpose). No
money from me to Apple this time round.

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 10th 15, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

It is tough to please everybody.

It is. The new iPad is too big for me (and for many users as you
suggest).

so what? you're not the only customer. plenty of people want a bigger
ipad.

apple still makes the ipad mini and ipad air. they didn't discontinue
those.

iPhones are simply overpriced for what they are,

no they aren't. iphones are competitively priced, if not cheaper than
competing phones.

go price out a samsung galaxy note 5 sometime.

and while
the lower price of lower spec models is welcome, you can as much
functionality at under half of the price.

no you can't. not even close.

An improved camera would have been the main reason I would have upgraded
an iPad, but the camera in the Moto G3 is as good (for the purpose). No
money from me to Apple this time round.

nobody cares what you buy.
Old September 10th 15, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

An improved camera would have been the main reason I would have upgraded
an iPad, but the camera in the Moto G3 is as good (for the purpose). No
money from me to Apple this time round.

nobody cares what you buy.

Nobody cares what your opinions are about what others do, but you
insist on inficting them on us. On every subject.

yet you reply to nearly every one.

if you don't care, then don't read them.
Old September 10th 15, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-09-09 20:24, Tony Cooper wrote:

My first mobile phone was hard-wired into the automobile. My second
was a bag phone. My third was a Motorola brick. From there on, each
phone became smaller and more compact...and, as far as I was
concerned, more convenient.

The trend seems to be reversing. While the weight and thickness don't
seem to be increasing, the width and length do. By the time my
youngest grandchild gets a phone, it may be the size of my flat screen
monitor.

Exaggerated a wee bit.

IMO - the iPhone 6 is about as wide and long as a smartphone should be
for most people (as are the comparable products from Samsung et al).

However, I got the iPhone 6P to get the better camera (better
stabilization) as well as an easier to read screen for data, news and
other things. I like it a lot and I believe it will serve me well for 5
years. (iphone 4 went a little over 4 years).

If one really wants to have only a _phone_ and little else, then there
are a lot of options. But giving up all that a smartphone can do seems
a bit silly given how cheap they are and how little they cost to operate.
Old September 11th 15, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-09-10 18:06, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 17:34:53 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2015-09-09 20:24, Tony Cooper wrote:

My first mobile phone was hard-wired into the automobile. My second
was a bag phone. My third was a Motorola brick. From there on, each
phone became smaller and more compact...and, as far as I was
concerned, more convenient.

The trend seems to be reversing. While the weight and thickness don't
seem to be increasing, the width and length do. By the time my
youngest grandchild gets a phone, it may be the size of my flat screen
monitor.

Exaggerated a wee bit.

Yeah, and they said Trump would fade out of the picture before the end
of summer.

IMO - the iPhone 6 is about as wide and long as a smartphone should be
for most people (as are the comparable products from Samsung et al).

However, I got the iPhone 6P to get the better camera (better
stabilization) as well as an easier to read screen for data, news and
other things. I like it a lot and I believe it will serve me well for 5
years. (iphone 4 went a little over 4 years).

If one really wants to have only a _phone_ and little else, then there
are a lot of options. But giving up all that a smartphone can do seems
a bit silly given how cheap they are and how little they cost to operate.

Yes, exactly. It was suggested that I should have purchased a basic
phone if all I wanted was a phone with minimal photographic ability.

But, the difference in price between a basic phone and an iPhone4 was
inconsequential to me. At the time, accepting a new contract required
some small payment for the phone. I don't remember how much. There
is no ongoing cost difference.

Despite being a Luddite, caveman, and anti-progress curmudgeon, I do
consider that my interests might change in the future. Buying the
iPhone4 was just leaving some options open.

So far, I haven't succumbed to any the advancements available to me. I
did download an app that provides bird call sounds. I was trying to
locate an owl that lives somewhere near my house. I have the Dropbox
app, but don't use it on the phone very often. I have a couple of
times.

The Facebook app is on my phone but I didn't add it. My wife, who
also has an iPhone, added Facebook and it may have appeared on both
phones because one of us downloaded it. Or, maybe it came with the
phone. I really don't know. I don't do Facebook.

The only other app is a crossword puzzle app that I downloaded one day
when I was in a doctor's office and had forgotten to bring a book.

I know that by admitting that I don't have or use apps to any extent
that I will have shocked and upset some readers, but I remain insist
ant that each of us should follow our own interests.

Shocking. That said, if you go the "other way" about it, you may find
more apps that interest you. It's not all about "getting apps", it's
about apps that apply to you and your interests.

Personally I don't have that many apps. And every few months I delete
those that I don't use much or at all.