A question for Applefans

Old September 8th 15, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default A question for Applefans

On 2015-09-08 22:05:58 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Tue, 08 Sep 2015 13:28:50 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

What exactly are your iDevices?

iPad and iPhone.

The question was, "What exactly are your iDevices?"
By that I thought you would actually tell us what model of iPhone and
iPad you have.

I thought that was what you meant, but I honestly don't know. I went
to the AT&T store and bought an iPhone. I think it's an iPhone5, but
it may be a 5S. It didn't matter to me at the time. I wanted a phone
and bought what they had available.

both the 5 and 5s have lightning.

which device of yours has the dock connector?

I don't know what a dock connecter is. Is that something I should
know? Amazingly, I have survived not knowing it so far.

The "dock connector" is the older BIG, 30-pin connector which will only
connect in one orientation.

BTW: I also have a 30-pin to Lightning adaptor which I use for my older
30-pin "Camera Kit" connector, and which can be used on a 30-pin cable
to connect to Lightning iDevices.

Savageduck

Old September 8th 15, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I thought that was what you meant, but I honestly don't know. I went
to the AT&T store and bought an iPhone. I think it's an iPhone5, but
it may be a 5S. It didn't matter to me at the time. I wanted a phone
and bought what they had available.

both the 5 and 5s have lightning.

which device of yours has the dock connector?

I don't know what a dock connecter is. Is that something I should
know? Amazingly, I have survived not knowing it so far.

you know that you have two different connectors.

the dock connector and lightning connector are the official names.

more specifically, the wide connector that latches is the 30 pin dock
connector and the tiny flat reversible plug is the 8 pin lighting
connector.

all current and future ios devices use lightning.
Old September 8th 15, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Unfortunately, extended discussions promote stupid questions like
"Does it have a dock connector?". Like I care if it does or doesn't.

then why did you ask?
Old September 8th 15, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 9/8/2015 12:49 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 09:02:51 -0700, Savageduck

On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 08:52:05 -0700, Savageduck
On 2015-09-08 15:32:18 +0000, Tony Cooper said:
On Tue, 08 Sep 2015 11:23:51 -0400, nospam
wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

My iPhone and iPad are charged using a plug and cable combination.
Each uses a different cable with a different-size fitting that plugs
into the device. Both style cables use the same wall-plug device.

What is the reason for the two different fittings? Both are obtaining
and converting power from the same wall plug.

one is nearly 15 years old, the other just 3 years old.

Neither of my devices is anywhere near 15 years old.

What exactly are your iDevices?

iPad and iPhone.

The question was, "What exactly are your iDevices?"
By that I thought you would actually tell us what model of iPhone and
iPad you have.

I thought that was what you meant, but I honestly don't know. I went
to the AT&T store and bought an iPhone. I think it's an iPhone5, but
it may be a 5S. It didn't matter to me at the time. I wanted a phone
and bought what they had available.

The iPad is an iPad Mini, but I have no idea if there are model
numbers for iPads. Again, I went to the Apple store in the mall and
bought what was available at the time.

All I know for sure is that I had to purchase two cords at $19.95 each
and it seemed to me that one should have been all that was necessary.
I accidently left the cords and one plug in a motel room. I had a
second plug, so all I needed was the cords.

I didn't bother calling the motel to see if they found, and would send
me, the cords. I suspect that most motels have crates of chargers and
cords left behind by guests.

My old iPhone 4 had the same connector as my iPod. my wife's iPad and
our iPhones use the new connector. Whether the new connector is really
better, I can't say. nospam said it is, so it must be better.

--
PeterN
Old September 9th 15, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I don't know what a dock connecter is. Is that something I should
know? Amazingly, I have survived not knowing it so far.

you know that you have two different connectors.

the dock connector and lightning connector are the official names.

more specifically, the wide connector that latches is the 30 pin dock
connector and the tiny flat reversible plug is the 8 pin lighting
connector.

all current and future ios devices use lightning.

My iPhone uses the wider plug, but I didn't count the pins.

it should be obvious it's more than 8.

Now that I know that I have a cable with a dock connector, am I better
off? Oddly, I don't feel greatly relieved to know.

then why did you bother asking?

the assertion that you were trolling was on target.
Old September 9th 15, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Unfortunately, extended discussions promote stupid questions like
"Does it have a dock connector?". Like I care if it does or doesn't.

then why did you ask?

I didn't ask.

yes you did.

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

My iPhone and iPad are charged using a plug and cable combination.
Each uses a different cable with a different-size fitting that plugs
into the device. Both style cables use the same wall-plug device.

What is the reason for the two different fittings? Both are obtaining
and converting power from the same wall plug.

i explained that the dock connector is nearly 15 years old and the
lightning connector is 3 years old.

you then asked which was which, so i explained which was which.
Old September 9th 15, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Now that I know that I have a cable with a dock connector, am I better
off? Oddly, I don't feel greatly relieved to know.

then why did you bother asking?

I didn't ask. You mounted your soapbox on your own volition.

more of your lies.

here it is again:

Old September 9th 15, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

wrote:

My iPhone and iPad are charged using a plug and cable combination.
Each uses a different cable with a different-size fitting that plugs
into the device. Both style cables use the same wall-plug device.

What is the reason for the two different fittings? Both are obtaining
and converting power from the same wall plug.

Liar! That does not ask what a dock connector is. It was posted
before you used the term dock connnector.

Asking what the reason for something is isn't asking the name of one
end of it is.

in order to answer the question, i had to use the actual names of the
connectors.

like someone said, you were trolling.
Old September 9th 15, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-08 22:44:46 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 10:17:52 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

What exactly are your iDevices?

iPad and iPhone.

The question was, "What exactly are your iDevices?"
By that I thought you would actually tell us what model of iPhone and
iPad you have.

I thought that was what you meant, but I honestly don't know. I went
to the AT&T store and bought an iPhone. I think it's an iPhone5, but
it may be a 5S. It didn't matter to me at the time. I wanted a phone
and bought what they had available.

Tony, I am disappointed. Here I was believing that you were a better
informed consumer. Just as there are differences and improvements in
cameras, there are differences and improvements in iPhones. I have a
feeling that you might have had an iP4 or iP4S dumped on you.

There is a attitude in this group that one person's interests should
be everyone's interest. I don't share that attitude.

There is nothing wrong with that.

It's a phone. It does exactly what I expect a phone to do, and does
some things beyond that. Some of the things it is capable of do not
interest me. When my contract ran out with my previous provider, I
picked out a phone from the display at my current provider.

Now it seems you were really not looking for an iPhone or an Android
smatphone. You just bought an EOL smartphone when you probably would
have been happy with a feature phone from whichever provider you use.
That was probably because the vendor made you an offer you couldn't
refuse.

As far as I am concerned, a Motorola brick would be fine except for
the fact it's too big to go in my pocket.

Ninety-nine percent of my incoming/outgoing calls are to immediate
family members. It has a camera, but I rarely use it. Typically,
I'll use it to photograph something I'm going to take apart so I know
how to put it back together the right way. I think my "camera roll"
has a couple of dozen photos on it, and that's it.

I text, but only because my son and daughter-in-law text and I return
their texts. I'd prefer to be called and call. I use the Notebook
feature because it's easier than carrying a pen and 3x5 cards around
like I used to.

A basic feature phone would still give you text, a camera, and some
note taking capability.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/mobile-living/home-and-family/best-basic-cell-phone-roundup/

The

only time I connect to the internet on it is to look up a phone
number of some place I need to call to find out their location or
hours and I'm already out of the house. I have the minimum data plan
offered, and never get close to using what I can use.

Dial *411.

Unlike some people who think that everyone who doesn't own the latest
shiny object indicates caveman mentality, I buy what meets my own
needs.

Well good for you.

I don't think others are wrong to feel they need a more sophisticated
device, but I do think they are wrong to think I'm doing something
wrong.

The only thing that has my head spinning is your admission that you
have no idea of what phone you bought.

If I have an iphone 4, (not that I know that I do or don't) and have
used it for over a year without any complaints, how can it be
considered to be something dumped on me? It has never not been
capable of doing what I want done.

It was dumped on you because that particular vendor was clearing their
inventory of EOL iPhones. Knowing your needs they should have sold you
something else. As a allegedly knowledgeable consumer you should have
been more aware when you entered that establishment.

Like I said, don't confuse your interests with mine.

I don't, believe me, I don't.

The iPad is an iPad Mini, but I have no idea if there are model
numbers for iPads. Again, I went to the Apple store in the mall and
bought what was available at the time.

I am baffled by your purchasing methodology. At a minimum I might have
thought you would have done some online research.

Like the phone, it does exactly what I wanted a device to do when I
bought it. I use it primarily - and almost exclusively - as a way to
display photographs that I've put up on Dropbox.

....and it is a good tool for that job.

I didn't need to do online research to know it would do what I wanted.
I'd looked at iPads that other people use and knew what it would do.
I spent more time on the internet finding a good deal on the Otterbox
for my phone than I spent making the buying decision for either the
phone or the iPad.

All I know for sure is that I had to purchase two cords at $19.95 each

Why? Both the iPhone and the iPad Mini come with a cord and matching connector.

and it seemed to me that one should have been all that was necessary.

If they were different models of different vintage you would have a
cord with the appropriate connector for each.

I accidently left the cords and one plug in a motel room. I had a
second plug, so all I needed was the cords.

So that was why. Your carelessness.

Yes, it was. Have we not all been careless and had to replace
something? Were you not careless in not securing or hiding or
carrying your camera kit with you in Africa?

I am not infallible and there have been times I have been stupidly
careless. However, when my D300 and stuff were stolen in Africa, I
don't believe I was unnecessarily careless. It was secured in a car and
it was stolen from the car. The car was the target, and the stolen
equipment was a fortuitous find for the thieves.

Savageduck

Old September 9th 15, 04:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 08 Sep 2015 22:42:55 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

The last call I received was Saturday morning from
my son telling me the football game was rain delayed. He got to the
feild early because the boys had to report early. No calls Sunday,
Monday, or Tuesday.

That's because you don't have any friends, and you don't have any
friends because you are living in the past. Like 2014 or something.
Get hip.