Kodak to stop making digital cameras

Old February 23rd 12, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Kodak to stop making digital cameras

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

There were various appeals and counter-appeals and eventually a
compromise settlement was reached in which Microsoft remained intact.
But there is no doubt they were found guilty of all kinds of things.

A finding of fact is not a guilty verdict, and Judge Jackson was not a
disinterested party.

ludicrous.

In any case, lots of industry leaders get taken to court by their competitors
when the latter run out of other methods (or when the other methods are too
costly). In high-tech industries it doesn't necessarily work because the
decision of the court is usually moot by the time it is handed down.

except that it was not a competitor who took them to court. it was the
united states.
Old February 23rd 12, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

as i said before, the mac has *more* choice in software.

There are fewer Mac applications than Windows applications.

so what?

what matters is if there's one that does what you need.

microsoft has total control over windows.

Apple has total control over everything.

no they most certainly do not.

why would anyone remove it?

Because the only way someone could run OS X without a license would be to
remove all proprietary code. Otherwise, talking about OS X as if it were an
open source product is deliberately misleading.

it's not misleading at all. substantial portions of os x are open
source. this is a fact. as far as i know, not a single part of windows
is open source (if there is, it's very minimal).

how well does windows run with the proprietary code removed, which
would be all of it?

Nobody tries to claim that Windows is open source or free software.

they do by implication that os x is more proprietary.

webkit is one example of many open source components of os x.

A component is not an operating system. The fact is, with or without
open-source components, OS X is a proprietary operating system.

so is windows.
Old February 23rd 12, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-02-22 14:42:14 -0800, "R. Mark Clayton"

On 2012-02-22 13:28 , Mxsmanic wrote:

Anyway, the point is that you _can_ build a PC from component parts, but
you
_cannot_ do that with a Mac.

Yes you can - and many do.

Any "standard" intel based PC (recent intel x86 CPUs back to 2005ish) can
be loaded with the Mac OS.

Making it work requires a bit of work - but if you choose your components
right, then others have done the work and you just follow their recipes
for configuration.

This violates the Apple SLA for OS X, however. But there is nothing in OS
X that prevents it from running or updating.

Which is the problem - if Apple made cars then you would have to buy Apple
tyres and Apple petrol and Apple screen wash [etc.] and it would all cost
double what it would from Esso, or Texaco. Of course you could fit your own
tyres and fill up at Chevron, BUT then crapple would refuse to honour the
warranty.

Wrong analogy.
My Macs run OSX in the same way my Mercedes uses a Mercedes engine not
a Yugo or other transplanted engine.

I use a Wacom tablet and an MS Trackball Optical, not the Apple mouse.
I use Photoshop CS5 not Apple's iPhoto, or Aperture.
I use a SanDisk Firewire CF card reader.
I use a Cisco router not an Apple "Airport."
I use both Safari, Firefox, and Chrome with a current preference for Chrome.
I use Yellow Mug Software's "SnapNdrag" for screen and frame captures
in favor of Apple's "Grab".
I use both "Toast" and the OXS "burn folder" but my default burn
software is Roxio's "Toast".
I use Klearscreen for cleaning my Apple displays.
I use a Canon LiDE80 scanner to meet my slim scanning needs.
I use an Epson R2880 and a Canon i70 printer. I once owned an Apple 4
color plotter, but in retrospect I can't quite understand why. ;-)

Using any of those non-Apple products does nothing to limit Apple's warranty

Savageduck

Old February 23rd 12, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

most people look at all of the options and pick the one that fits their
needs.

No, they don't. Most people pick the first thing on the shelf, or buy whatever
everyone else seems to be buying.

prove it.

so the logo just becomes invisible?

The logo isn't what executes applications. The operating system and hardware
do that.

then it doesn't stop becoming a mac.

nobody said iphones are replacing desktops.

Nothing is replacing desktops. Not iPhones, not tablets.

laptops have been outselling desktops for many years and that's
growing. desktop share is shrinking.

not everyone watches tv at home with their family and there is a *huge*
increase on streaming video to mobile devices.

The increase is not replacing traditional viewing.

yes it is.
Old February 23rd 12, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-22 18:49 , Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 17:50:15 -0500,
wrote:

In , R. Mark Clayton
wrote:

Which is the problem - if Apple made cars then you would have to buy Apple
tyres and Apple petrol and Apple screen wash [etc.] and it would all cost
double what it would from Esso, or Texaco. Of course you could fit your own
tyres and fill up at Chevron, BUT then crapple would refuse to honour the
warranty.

nonsense. macs use standard off the shelf parts, including standard
sata hard drives,

No, not standard hard drives. See
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/12/...-on-new-imacs/
"Apple Restricts Hard Drive Replacements on New iMacs"

The workaround for that came out days (yes _days_) after the first iMac
with that connector. So you can still use off the shelf HD's.

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).
Old February 23rd 12, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-22 18:58 , Mxsmanic wrote:

How do you get the license for Mac OS X?

As long as you're breaking the SLA in any case (to load on a PC) - you
just buy it. If it's Lion or Mountain Lion then you burn it from the
DL'd version image on someone's mac.

Old February 23rd 12, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-02-22 14:44:39 -0800, nospam said:

In article , Chris Malcolm
wrote:

I guess I must have been very lucky. I bought a cheap low-end Android
smart phone. Every app in it, and every app I've downloaded into it,
has always launched faultlessly whenever I tap the icon. Nothing has
ever crashed. What amazing luck! For a fraction of the cost I got
something that works as well as an iphone!

how is it a fraction of the cost? the price of android phones and
iphones aren't that much different and the price of the service is
going to be the same no matter what phone you have.

I have been a life long Apple user, but I was always reluctant to move
to an iPhone. Initially because it was only available through ATT and I
live in an area where there is no ATT service. The first data plan I
got with Verizon was for a Samsung Omnia. That touch screen died after
about a year. At that point I got a Motorola Android phone which the
worst battery life of any phone I have ever owned. It did its job well
enough and I had no issues with the Android Apps, but with the bad
battery life, only for a frustratingly short time.
Once my frustration had peaked and the iPhone 4S was released I checked
with Verizon for my options to dump the Motorola, mid-contract. The
32GB iPhone cost the same as the Motorola. I was grandfathered into
their unlimited data plan which I first got with the Samsung, and I got
an iPhone 4S.

It is without doubt the best and most trouble free cell phone I have
owned to date. I should have made the move sooner. Apps I have got
either free or have spent my hard earned $0.99 to $5.99 on have
functioned as advertised.
My email is pushed to my iPhone, the camera is no D300s or G11, but it
is a useful snapshot tool and overall I couldn't be happier.

Savageduck

Old February 23rd 12, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-02-22 14:56:01 -0800, Alan Browne
said:

Le Snip

If one day the CPU or graphics goes - I'll have to go to Apple. Or
just buy a new machine.

CPU's, Logic Boards and graphics cards are available and replaceable. I
was able to replace the logic board on my father's discontinued
PowerBook G4 for $349, and that replacement logic board was not
available from Apple.

Savageduck

Old February 23rd 12, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-02-22 16:55:45 -0800, tony cooper said:

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 16:06:10 -0800, Savageduck

On 2012-02-22 14:42:14 -0800, "R. Mark Clayton"

On 2012-02-22 13:28 , Mxsmanic wrote:

[...]

Yes, but can those actions get you excommunicated? Or, for minor
strayings, shunned?

Aah! The advantages of atheism.

Regards,

Savageduck

Old February 23rd 12, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:53:25 -0500, tony cooper
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 18:40:25 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

Which is the problem - if Apple made cars then you would have to buy Apple
tyres and Apple petrol and Apple screen wash [etc.] and it would all cost
double what it would from Esso, or Texaco. Of course you could fit your own
tyres and fill up at Chevron, BUT then crapple would refuse to honour the
warranty.

nonsense. macs use standard off the shelf parts, including standard
sata hard drives, standard memory dimms, standard usb peripherals and
standard dvi and displayport displays. macs can plug into any ethernet
or wifi network (the 'roads') too. *none* of that voids the warranty.

So all this talk about PC makers buying from the lowest-cost supplier
and Apple using better components is all bogus? Apple's using the
same standard stuff as PCs?

there's a lot more to a computer than just a box of parts, and it
wasn't me who made that claim either.

apple generally does not use the lowest cost parts because it makes for
crappy products.

How is it you know this? Are you an Apple employee? In Purchasing?

That's a silly question. The people who decided what they need are in
engineering. Purchasing only decide where they get it.

for instance, apple uses ips lcd displays versus tn
lcds, dedicated gpu versus integrated gpu, firewire 800 versus no
firewire at all, backlit keyboard versus non-backlit, etc. other
companies might choose to use lower spec parts and hit a cheaper price
point, but then it's not the same product since the specs are
different.

the point above is that nothing is voided by using non-apple parts.

Regards,

Eric Stevens