Dust control

Old March 21st 06, 12:34 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Dust control

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 14:11:33 -0500, "Ken
Hart" wrote:

I used the two-part epoxy paint (it comes with little color chips that you
sprinkle over the wet surface for a nice appearance). Cost, IIRC, was about
$40 for a gallon. It looked good, for a while. When it started to chip off,
it was a pain.

March 21, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

This was exactly my experience, too.

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email:
net:
www.heylloyd.com
________________________________

Old March 21st 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Lloyd Erlick" Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 04:36:14 GMT, "Tom
Gardner" wrote:

I'd like to get to the point of not ever spotting prints...I'm dreaming
aren't I?

March 21, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

"Not ever" -- yes, a dream.

"Not that much, reduced to a level that is
comfortable, reduced to a level that is just
another skilled photog's task, just another
something to do that is at least doable" --
yes, no problem, a dream that can come true.
"A print or two every year that needs no

spotting at all" -- sure, why not? An annual
event, cause for celebration, sure.

lregards,
--le
________________________________
--

I just hate spotting prints, I'm not good at it and it takes my a long time.
Since I addressed this, my dust level is WAY down. I'm still giong to

Old March 21st 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Lloyd Erlick" Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote in message

I suggest a government program to
encourage the development of clmate
controlled darkrooms. We could start with
making all darkroom expenses tax deductible.

regards,
--le

Spoken like a TRUE Canadian! (I'm now planning this year's Pike hunt (28th.
year straight) in Quebec and will be rolling through Toronto in June...I'll
wave.)

Old March 21st 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Im sure there are a lot of better suggestions, but my son has breating
issues at times, the single best thing I did was buy a GOOD vacum
cleaner and ran the house TOP to Bottom, baseboards especially, I went
from having to dust ever week, to in a month hardly seeing ANY dust.

I got a rainbow, overkill and overpriced but, doing that to the carpets
effected the whole house

Besides 50% of dust is dead skin so Ive heard, start wearing lotion

Old March 21st 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Gardner" wrote:

[...]

Spotting becomes less a chore if you do two things:

Use a 000 brush -good sable
Point the brush tip and jab little amounts of pigment into the white
spot until it matches the surrounding area.
--
The things we hate most in life often turn out to be a mirror image
of ourselves. Better not to hate.

Findmedirectly - "infoatgregblankphoto.com"
Old March 22nd 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:35:59 GMT, "Tom
Gardner" wrote:

I just hate spotting prints, I'm not good at it and it takes my a long time.
Since I addressed this, my dust level is WAY down. I'm still giong to
install an ionic thingy.

March 22, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

I used to hate print spotting, too. The hate
has worn out, and I'm left with a dull chore.
Everything and anything you can do to
reduce/control dust is worth it. An air
cleaner/ionizer will be much more effective
if the air is at least not bone dry,
preferably at least above 35 per cent
relative humidity.

I must say, though, that over the years I've
enjoyed the tiny sable hair brush. I guess
I'm just a frustrated oil painter. I wonder
if there might be some use for turpentine in
the darkroom ...

regards,
--le
________________________________

Old March 22nd 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:46:42 -0500, "Greg
\"Blank\" - Lizard King."
wrote:

Use a 000 brush -good sable
Point the brush tip and jab little amounts of pigment into the white
spot until it matches the surrounding area.

March 22, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

That's a pretty succinct description of the
whole thing. I'd add a caveat that most first
efforts will destroy the print (let's call it
a practice print...) and plenty of practice
is necessary. It's a lot easier than learning
to play the violin, though, so there is hope
at the end of the ...um... brush.

A lot of the antipathy to spotting must come
from the anxiety caused by working on a print
that you might damage. This goes away after a
lot of spotting, but for some time there will
be the worry that spotting will go wrong and
your own ham-handedness will destroy a few
hours' work. I guess we just come down to
psychology again -- eventually the doing of
it (spotting) wears down the worry and it
just becomes something that takes a bit of
time and effort. Making extra copies of the
best prints helps.

regards,
--le
________________________________

Old March 22nd 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:40:40 GMT, "Tom
Gardner" wrote:

"Lloyd Erlick" Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote in message
.. .

I suggest a government program to
encourage the development of clmate
controlled darkrooms. We could start with
making all darkroom expenses tax deductible.

regards,
--le

Spoken like a TRUE Canadian! (I'm now planning this year's Pike hunt (28th.
year straight) in Quebec and will be rolling through Toronto in June...I'll
wave.)

March 22, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

I've never heard of the Pike hunt! I guess
I'm not that true ...

So elucidate!

regards,
--le
________________________________

Old March 22nd 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,

wrote:

[...]

Forgot to add make multiple copies of the
print, it helps especially when as in my case
I am typically spotting someone's job-right before
handing them the print-literally.

I guess I have never really been stressed by spotting
as I come from years of painting, drawing and pigment
matching typically I don't use a print to practice on but it can't hurt
I have a good idea what the pigment level should be on the brush
so a napkin, paper towel or trimable white border works-or matt board.