The opposite of a close-up lens?

Old March 30th 04, 01:40 PM
jjs

Default The opposite of a close-up lens?

Can you screw the lens mounting to move it towards the film ever so little?
Old March 30th 04, 02:53 PM
brian

"Roland" wrote in message ...

I have used my Horizon for night photography with good effect. You have to
steady it, of course. I am afraid that getting the distance in focus with
your Noblex is going to be problematic. If you find some way of putting a
correction lens in front then this will be a very weak lens. Not something
that will be common. If it is fixed focussed to 30 feet, say, then its
correction lens will be -1/10th, I think (can anybody confirm this or
otherwise?)

-1/10th diopter is correct for 30 feet. The resulting image
degradation on a Tessar at f/8 or so would be completely negligible.
You're also right that such a weak lens isn't common.

Another solution would be to have the lens somehow further back
in its mounting. But I guess this would be difficult to achieve with
accuracy and would be very expensive.

Assuming the lens is focussed at 30 feet, you would need to move it
back about 0.25mm.

You are going to have to sell it and
"rely" on your Horizon. I say "rely" in quotes because they are not very
robust cameras. Mine shows some banding and now the film counter is broken.

It beggars belief that a group of people will go to all that trouble to
design a swing-lens camera and not get the focussing distance right. Only
the Horizont+Horizon series has a lens fixed-focussed to infinity. You would
have thought that a swing-lens camera was made for the purpose of capturing
wide vistas, obviously at infinity, so why do they have it focussing closer?
People like that need weeding out of the gene pool.

One of the classic uses of swing lens cameras was taking large group
portraits, so perhaps the hyperfocal adjustment is a reasonable
compromise.

Brian
www.caldwellphotographic.com
Old March 30th 04, 09:18 PM
Stacey

brian wrote:

One of the classic uses of swing lens cameras was taking large group
portraits, so perhaps the hyperfocal adjustment is a reasonable
compromise.

That and many "sweeping landscapes" will have things in the foreground that
would need to be somewhat in focus.

--

Stacey
Old March 31st 04, 04:50 AM
Bob Monaghan

yes, but at least they have recognized the problem, the noblex 150 E2
version cited at http://www.whistlerinns.com/noblex/150_e2.htm seems to
be fixed focused at 10.4m, so as to get infinity in focus at every stop
from f/4.5 to f/22, as with the Horizon 202s etc. The diopters the table
lists are + diopters for doing closeups, shifting the close focusing
distances closer, at the expense of losing infinity focusing.

So this is NOT the case with the earlier Noblex 150E series evidently.

The easiest solution would be to screw the lens farther back by a
millimeter or so (check with ground glass at focus point and loupe).

hth bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
Old March 31st 04, 03:04 PM
Ralf R. Radermacher

David J. Littleboy wrote:

Given that the distances involved are quite small, I wonder if the camera
could be adjusted (i.e. lens repositioned a fraction of a mm closer to the
film) to put the focus point enough closer to infinity to make it acceptable
for what you are doing???

Which is exactly what they've offered to do at the factory when I phoned
them today. Should have thought of this a lot earlier.

Thanks to all for their help and suggestions and to jjs for a few
downright silly but rather entertaining remarks. ;-)

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de