Eyeglasses

Old April 17th 09, 07:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Bill Graham

Default Eyeglasses

"Neil Harrington" wrote in message

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
Paul Furman wrote:
... The last set was uneven for left & right for a reading distance of
what I'm now told is tested at 16-inches, this exam came out the same
for both eyes. Testing them now... looks like the right eye is not as
sharp at that 16-inch distance... hmm... OK that's my first intuitive
test, now I see that tilting up fixes the problem in the right eye but
not symmetrically.

Here's the (confusing) data...

OK I figured out the scam, they just threw a generic number at me because
they have to stock all those quirky numbers to supply 1-hour service.
Their 'lab' just cuts the frame shape, the 'blanks' have the prescription
set already. I went back & asked for a redo. They obliged but were grumpy
about it. What are the odds they have 070/020/100 in stock versus the
025/000/000 crap I was given 2 days ago? I'd be willing to bet what I got
doesn't meet the spec on the scrip.

For single vision lenses that wouldn't be much of a problem. The last
number (for the main prescription) is just the axis of the cylinder. So
they don't really need to have every possible prescription in stock -- for
example, your 2006 Rx has +1.00 -0.50 157 for the right eye. All they need
for that would be a lens with +1.00 spherical and -0.50 cylinder. The 157
degrees they'd set when mounting the lens in the frame -- the cylinder
axis is marked on the lens.

Obviously, any sort of bifocal or progressive lens would be a different
story.

The guy in the white coat balked at my questions & whined about how he's
seen engineers with too many questions & how I didn't need to worry about
the math & the numbers on the scrip. I'm normally extremely polite & mild
mannered and I maintained that but the hell if I ever give those morons
any business again! The asshole redid my scrip by only replacing the
numbers on one eye. My old scrip had astigmatism corrections for both
eyes, not just one. The right eye was wrong on distance but both were
wrong & he screwed me on that. We'll see if I get a better scrip & test
on what I was given from someone else & try to demand a full refund,
probably too much hassle. Arrrrgh!

Next time you might want to look for some sort of well-staffed medical eye
center in your area, where you could get a full examination and refraction
done with less aggravation, then take the Rx to have the glasses made
elsewhere -- either by a small local optician or online. I now have all my
eyeglasses made through an online seller, Zenni Optical, and I couldn't be
happier with them. The glasses are actually made in China, I understand.
Delivery usually takes less than two weeks, and this includes mailing them
across the country. There are many other online sellers too.

Hidalgo, Inc.

6507 Shreveport Hwy, Pineville, LA 71360
Email
Is also an excellent place......I have been dealing with them for the last
30 years or so.....