[SI] Night Shots is posted!

Old December 25th 10, 02:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

Default [SI] Night Shots is posted!

On 2010-12-24 14:27:50 -0800, Paul Furman said:

Savageduck wrote:
Paul Furman said:

You really did need that f/11 here.

I had the Tokina 11-16mm on by then. The shot was 1/8 sec. @ f/3.5,
11mm, ISO 1600.

Oops, so much for my incisive technical comments g.

BTW; I had to resort to HDR in some rooms, and that was nightmarish.
This was shot in Hearst's office just after the library shot. The
difference in lighting was dramatic. It seemed like candle light in
comparison, and the 5 shot -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 exposures took a what
seemed like a very slow handheld 1.1 sec lifetime to shoot. The shots in
the indoor "Roman" pool were even tougher.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_6445_HDRw.jpg

Well done. 1.1 sec per shot? I am happy if I can hand hole for .1 second.

Actually that was 1.1 sec. for the 5 shot series. It seemed to take
forever as each shot was perceptibly longer than the previous one, and
maintaining aim at a fixed point, as well as holding steady for the
final 3 shots was the really difficult thing.

Savageduck

Old December 25th 10, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Old December 25th 10, 02:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 18:51:08 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:
: On 2010-12-24 18:28:20 -0800, peter said:
:
: On 12/24/2010 7:13 PM, Savageduck wrote:
: On 2010-12-24 14:27:50 -0800, Paul Furman said:
:
: Savageduck wrote:
: Paul Furman said:
:
[...]

Weren't you using some sort of HDR software that would have matched the images
up if you botched the shooting process a little?

Bob
Old December 25th 10, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

: Savageduck wrote:
: Paul Furman said:
:
[...]

Yes. I used NIK HDR Efex Pro,
http://www.niksoftware.com/hdrefexpro/usa/entry.php which does a
pretty good alignment job. It also has a good algorithm for dealing
with movement of elements within the image. However, shooting HDR hand
held over a relatively long period is less than ideal, and can impart
edge aberrations which are beyond correction. For those shots a tripod
and remote release is the best way to go. They just wouldn't let me go
through the place with a tripod, or use flash.

Savageduck

Old December 25th 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default Night Shots is posted!

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 18:54:20 -0800 (PST), otter
wrote:

On Dec 24, 7:42*am, Bowser wrote:
Vampires rejoice, Night Shots is posted and available for viewing:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots

Paul Furman, eclipse: Congratulations, great shot of the eclipse. I
wish mine had turned out that good. Great color.
W.P. Romfh, all three very nice. I wasn't so sure about the second
one with all the poles and wires and such, but it kind of grows on
me. The flight through the moon is nice.
Troy Piggins: The Dubai ship picture is interesting - very moody.
Duck: The Hearst pool pictures, yeah they look over-processed, but I
like them anyway. You know, I never even saw the pool when I visited
the Castle. Looks like I missed the best part.
Tom Yost: I like the San Diego Trolley colors and composition. A
little on the dark side.
Peter Atkins, Maersk: Whoo, Nelly!
Tim Conway, Swans: Interesting shot, nice composition, and as you
described in another post, you put some effort into putting it
together. I think it could be improved some more, though. Doesn't
feel like it is quite finished. For one thing, the bills bother me
that they blend into the black.
Otter: Simply great, don't know how they could be improved :-). Well,
just to respond to some comments, the train was moving real slow,
there is a station on the other end of the bridge. Putting a border
around the musician picture is a good idea. I didn't think of it.
Bowser: Your living room is a lot neater than mine, that's for sure!
What happened to the hookers?

It's Christmas. I gave the giris the day off.

Cooper: I think the Colony picture has potential, but there are some
some things that bother me about this try - might be better if not
centered, and perspective could be adjusted, maybe?
Bob Cole: I liked that you tried something creative this time, Bob. I
especially like the "Jazz on Fire" picture. It reminds me of the
album cover of "Superunknown" by Soundgarden.
Peter Newman, splash: Very nice. Nice colors. Would like to hear
more about how this was done.
Frank Ess, sunset: Nice sunset picture, Frank.

All, in all, I'd say a good batch this time.

Old December 25th 10, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
peter

On 12/24/2010 9:54 PM, otter wrote:

Peter Newman, splash: Very nice. Nice colors. Would like to hear
more about how this was done.

Thanks!

Here is a repeat of my prior explanation, with just a little more detail:
I was experimenting using a borrowed rig. Strobes connected to a sensor.
The sensor set off the strobes when a ball bearing hit the sensor, from
about 2'.
The color is ordinary Spin-Art paint, covering the sensor, which
splashed up after the ball bearing drop. I prefocused inside of a dark
tent, holding the shutter open. The exposure was made from the strobes.
While the effects are weird and interesting, I feel I have little
artistic control and will not be producing more of these images.

--
Peter
Old December 25th 10, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
peter

On 2010-12-24 14:27:50 -0800, Paul Furman said:

Savageduck wrote:
Paul Furman said:

[...]

I would not even attempt a hand held HDR. BTW what software did you use?

--
Peter
Old December 25th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete[_9_]

On 2010-12-25 16:32:34 +0000, tony cooper said:

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 10:47:34 -0500, Bowser wrote:

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 20:46:46 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 08:42:48 -0500, Bowser wrote:

Curious that the shooter who requested that this mandate be postponed
didn't submit a shot...

I was certainly planning on taking some photos, but my health has taken a turn
for the worse and I wasn't able to get out this month.

I thank everyone for the change though, it was appreciated.

I hope to be involved in the next shoot in.

Tell you what: let me know what type of pix you can take, and I'll
create a mandate for it. The rest of us will have to see if we can
keep up...

Excellent idea.

I would also go along with allowing Pete to suggest a mandate that he
can contribute to considering his physical handicaps.

Thanks, Tony. I prepared a few images for the "Last 90" mandate; just
before emailing them I noticed it meant the last 90 days not 90 shots
The only photography I've managed to do this year is two days in
April and one in November (for "Night Shots").

I've taken some pictures at home out of curiosity. The only mandates
for them would be "Autofocus in Various Lighting" and "Spherochromatism
and Bokeh", but I've deleted all the images (fortunately).

Next year I hope to scan my old slides and negs, see if I'm any good at
taking portraits, and get someone to help me try "street photography".
Night and twilight shots are my passion so I'll definitely be taking
more of those. With a lot of luck plus sheer determination I may get a
few images worth submitting.

--
Pete