[SI] Night Shots is posted!

Old December 24th 10, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
peter

Default [SI] Night Shots is posted!

On 12/24/2010 12:43 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 08:42:48 -0500, wrote:
: Vampires rejoice, Night Shots is posted and available for viewing:
:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots
:
: If you're curious about the Shoot-In, and would like to submit photos,
: you can find all the into he
:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
:
: This is not a competition and there are no prizes, just the on-line
: comments from participants and viewers.
:
: Curious that the shooter who requested that this mandate be postponed
: didn't submit a shot...

If you mean me, I'm working on it. I sent my three this morning, and I
promised Martha I'd submit one of hers. And she's still hoping to finally get
out tonight for a couple of Christmas light pix.

Frankly, I got a bit blindsided. I didn't really look at the calendar, and at
first I thought you had postponed it a full week, until the Sunday *after*
Christmas. So a few days ago, when I discovered my error, it was "Oh, ****!"
time. ;^)

I know the feeling. I am on Sanibel Island, there are no photogenic
lights, just birds. So I submitted some oldie.

--
Peter
Old December 24th 10, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 19:04:46 +0000, Pete

On 2010-12-24 17:53:12 +0000, Robert Coe said:

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:02:47 -0500, tony cooper
wrote:
: On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 08:42:48 -0500, Bowser wrote:
:
: Vampires rejoice, Night Shots is posted and available for viewing:
:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots
:
: If you're curious about the Shoot-In, and would like to submit photos,
: you can find all the into he
:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
:
: This is not a competition and there are no prizes, just the on-line
: comments from participants and viewers.
:
: I missed the deadline but sent you two just now.

Good! Then it's not just me.

Bob

This is gonna sound very rude, but it is only factual.

Being physically and mentally disabled, it has been impossible for me
to meet the criteria for any SI this year until "Night Shots" was
announced. I have worked through the disappointment of the changing
agenda because I always wish to accommodate the views and commitments
of others without complaining, until now...

If I could prepare myself for the original deadline then I don't feel
that late submissions are acceptable. Flippant excuses **** me off:
obviously I need to either learn more tolerance or develop better
diction

When you get to be of advanced years as I am, you will consider
yourself lucky to forget only deadlines like this. The bathroom is
the only room in the house where I always remember why I came into it.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old December 24th 10, 09:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

wrote:
[...]

The shoot-in is not run on a Gestapo like schedule, and some late
submissions are due to some shooters just forgetting. A little
tolerance wouldn't hurt here. None of us get paid for this; we just do
it for the entertainment and self-gratification.
Old December 24th 10, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 18:28:31 +0000, Pete
wrote:

I always struggle with commenting; this time I put my energy into a
submission so my comments are sparse. I have thoroughly enjoyed viewing
every image presented therefore many thanks to you all. Happy
Festivities and Best Wishes for an enjoyable New Year.

NIT_Fly_Thru_Moon:
Awesome.

NightShot-Savageduck-01:
Airy - surreal and beautiful yet believeable.

NightShots_Pete_Attkins_1428:
Left and right side of his brain are seriously cross-wired

Tim Conway:
I've said in the past that I usually enjoy your shots: this time is no
exception. Is there no limit to your creativity?

SI_night_otter_2:
The small palette of colours combined with exquisite contrast make this
image superb. Sell it for a high price.

Bowser:
I thought I could spot your images within a few seconds, but 2 and 3
have shown how wrong I have been. 3 has a certain "magic" that is
rarely seen.

Honestly, I don't really care for any of mine. I couldn't get the
scene or conditions I was looking for. But thanks!
Old December 24th 10, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tim Conway[_2_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message

Night_TimConway.jpg [Swans]
Curious lighting, coming from below, reflected off the water but the water
is black. Was flash invloved?

Yes, just a simple on camera flash. a lucky shot and a little PS touchup.

Night_TimConway_2old.jpg [Flying Clock]
Heh, this is a nifty piece of graphics, well done. Is it actually a
'photo' though?

It is a sandwich of two negatives. The clock was shot on a tripod with
3-way head and X-700 and 28-90 zoom lens reversed (backwards from normal)
and then moved during a 5-7 second exposure. It took several tries to get
the motion smooth enough to look "natural". The background was just
cardboard with holes and a flash. Thanks for your comments.

Old December 24th 10, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tim Conway[_2_]

"Pete" wrote in message
I always struggle with commenting; this time I put my energy into a
submission so my comments are sparse. I have thoroughly enjoyed viewing
every image presented therefore many thanks to you all. Happy Festivities
and Best Wishes for an enjoyable New Year.

NIT_Fly_Thru_Moon:
Awesome.

NightShot-Savageduck-01:
Airy - surreal and beautiful yet believeable.

NightShots_Pete_Attkins_1428:
Left and right side of his brain are seriously cross-wired

Tim Conway:
I've said in the past that I usually enjoy your shots: this time is no
exception. Is there no limit to your creativity?

Wow, thank you. You made my day. I wish I could've had an astral photo for
the clock scene, but I can't do that, I had to just improvise with cardboard
and flash. It was fun though, made being out at 4 in the morning worth it.
:-)

Old December 24th 10, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 12:43:49 -0500, Robert Coe wrote:

[...]

OK, I convened an emergency meeting of the Shoot-In Advisory Group
Team Committee Board who have unanimously agreed to allow Martha's
late submission.

;-)
Old December 24th 10, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

wrote:

[...]

Damn, am I that predictable?

Not to worry. I've shot my last football game. On to the streets!
Old December 24th 10, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-12-24 08:44:34 -0800, Paul Furman said:

Bowser wrote:
Vampires rejoice, Night Shots is posted and available for viewing:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots

NITE_Paul-Furman_DSC_5553.jpg [Lunar Eclipse]
I tried all kinds of settings on the D700 with a 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm
f/4.5 with stacked converters and everywhere in between. The successful
ones used 2 seconds ISO 25600 to 1600; this eclipse seems darker than
the 2007 eclipse which I shot at ISO 100 on the D200 (I had to boost
exposure in post +2). This one was ISO 1600 with exposure +2.73 in
Lightroom and blacks pushed to +25 from raw. So anyways it was really a
challenge and I don't have anything that could be enlarged. Here's a
little bigger at 1920 px wide:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...75863/sizes/o/

NightShot-Savageduck-01.jpg [Hearst Castle, "Neptune Pool"]
Well done! If this is HDR, it's very tastefully applied but I suspect
it's just the 'magic hour' at dusk. Flawless composition.

Thanks.
I was hoping to get a Sunset from above the fogged in coast, but by the
time we got up to the Castle (6:40 PM) there was just a faint glow in
the distance and there was only the local lighting to depend on. We had
been given the "no flash" lecture, I knew I was going to have WB issues
because the lighting was not consistant and seemed to be of different
types. So I looked for a decent "grey" reference (I didn't have my WB
card handy), and found it with the small section of concrete to the
left of the chain pedestal on the left. Uncorrect the shot was very
warm discoloring the marble which is actually white(ish) not yellow.

NightShot-Savageduck-02.jpg [Hearst Castle, "Neptune Pool" from above]
The wide angle perspective is disturbing here, was it partially
corrected in post? Great job capturing these hand held! You really did
need that f/11 here.

I couldn't find a good position to take a shot straight down the
center, I had the Tokina 11-16mm on by then. The shot was 1/8 sec. @
f/3.5, 11mm, ISO 1600.

NightShot-Savageduck-03.jpg [Hearst Castle Library]
Pretty good capture of the scene but there's some weird hazy-cloud
flare issues.

All of the interior shots were tough without flash or tripod because of
lighting which seemed to be straight out of the 1920's. That library
shot had some of the better lighting, but I was left with three areas
where flare from the lighs had intruded and I tried to fix them as best
I could in post.
When I took some HDR shots in other rooms the lighting was very bad,
and hand holding was almost impossible, but I managed to get some which
seemed to capture the scene resonably faithfully. Plenty got dumped.

ACR Lens correction profile for the 11-16mm was applied to #2 & #3.

Thanks for the comments, and to all who submitted shots.

Savageduck

Old December 24th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Tim Conway wrote:

"Paul Furman" wrote in message

Night_TimConway.jpg [Swans]
Curious lighting, coming from below, reflected off the water but the
water is black. Was flash invloved?

Yes, just a simple on camera flash. a lucky shot and a little PS touchup.

Night_TimConway_2old.jpg [Flying Clock]
Heh, this is a nifty piece of graphics, well done. Is it actually a
'photo' though?

It is a sandwich of two negatives. The clock was shot on a tripod with
3-way head and X-700 and 28-90 zoom lens reversed (backwards from
normal) and then moved during a 5-7 second exposure. It took several
tries to get the motion smooth enough to look "natural". The background
was just cardboard with holes and a flash. Thanks for your comments.

Ha, that's pretty clever!