Panasonic Lumix FZ18

Old September 13th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
[email protected]

Default Panasonic Lumix FZ18

I was about to grab a new FZ18 today. Unfortunately, they run out a
new one in the box and have to wait for a few days (they do not want
to sell the display one for a discount ) So, I still have some time
to "chicken out", if I want to. I like the 18x zoom feature, and
previously thinking about getting the Olympus SP-550, which is now on
sale because the new model will come out soon (SP560). I think FZ18 is
good for me, as I do not want to have the hassle to get
interchangeable lenses (although eventually, I will perhaps be moving
to a DSLR --- seriously thinking about the new LC10 or D80). But it
will not happen for another year!.
I am not extremely happy with the G7, and wonder if this camera has a
better fit for me (colour richness and clarity/sharpness of photo).
Mind you, that had been handling an RB67 and M645, I still miss those
sharp pictures. Unfortunately, can't afford for a new digital medium
camera now.
Going back to FZ18, does anyone tried and how did they find about this
new camera? Any problems with the camera, as it is a relatively new
one (came out in about a month ago?) It is smaller than the FZ 50,
but bigger than FZ8. Unfortunately, they still using the small P&S
size sensor.
I have only one question for those who owns one already. The Lumix
website in Australia indicates that it has the Automatic Exposure
Bracket (AEB) feature. However, as I was trying and testing the
camera, I don't seem to be able to find out about this feature. Could
anyone confirm whether such a feature is available in FZ18. Another
website which discusses about HDR and AEB shows a list of cameras with
AEB features, and FZ18 is one of them (as well as FZ50).
Last question is about a comparison with its larger sibling FZ50. FZ50
has larger MP, swivel screen and has a hotshoe. It has an awesome lens
too. However, is quality much better than the FZ18?
Thanks for info.

Old September 13th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
ray

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:29:12 -0700, aniramca wrote:

[...]

Have you tried the corporate web site for a manual? FWIW - a prime
consideration for me on an EVF camera is the resolution of the EVF - I
can't stand the 110k pixel versions. What's the resolution here, or does
it matter to you. I chose a Kodak P850 on the strength of the 220k pixel
EVF and the feature set.

Old September 13th 07, 07:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Fco

Finally I´ve decided for the FZ18.

I hope I will receive it in a couple of days and let you know about its
performance.

Regards,

news

Old September 13th 07, 09:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Michael J Davis

observed
[...]

There's been a lot of discussion about these points in the Panasonic
forum...

FWIW I have both the FZ5 and the FZ50 - both have bracketing, just press
up on the control and set it to+/- 1/3, 2/3 or 1 EV. I am certain the
FZ18 would be the same.

And I love the FZ50 - available at only £25 more than the new FZ18. But
the FZ18 has the advantage of the 28mm equiv. (the upper end of the zoom
is not significant).

Mike

Michael J Davis

Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".

Old September 13th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
loony

There's been a lot of discussion about these points in the Panasonic
forum...

FWIW I have both the FZ5 and the FZ50 - both have bracketing, just press
up on the control and set it to+/- 1/3, 2/3 or 1 EV. I am certain the
FZ18 would be the same.

Mike

Michael J Davis

Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".

Even my Lumix TZ3 has the auto bracketing feature so it's not only on
the more SLR-like cameras. On the TZ3 you press up arrow and you can
select the feature from the screen there as Michael says, you can
chose how wide you want to set the bracketing difference. A very
useful feature if in difficult light settings.

Old September 16th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
[email protected]

On Sep 13, 6:54 am, loony wrote:
There's been a lot of discussion about these points in the Panasonic
forum...

FWIW I have both the FZ5 and the FZ50 - both have bracketing, just press
up on the control and set it to+/- 1/3, 2/3 or 1 EV. I am certain the
FZ18 would be the same.
Mike

Michael J Davis

Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".

Even my Lumix TZ3 has the auto bracketing feature so it's not only on
the more SLR-like cameras. On the TZ3 you press up arrow and you can
select the feature from the screen there as Michael says, you can
chose how wide you want to set the bracketing difference. A very
useful feature if in difficult light settings.

Perhaps this may be the common problem for FZ8, FZ18 and FZ50. Is
there any concern to turn on the camera when the lens cap is on? On
the FZ 18, there is a beep sound and a message to open the lens cap
and press one of the button to start. However, I notice that when you
turn the camera on, the tip of the lens should come out beyond the
edge of the lens. Therefore, there is some kind of force that was
stopped by the lens cap. Is this a concern or causing some stress to
the motor of the lens? It is just a force of habit that I seem to
keep to forget to keep the lens cover out first before turning on the
camera.
Is this said anywhere in the manual?
Thanks for info.

Old September 16th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Michael J Davis

observed

Perhaps this may be the common problem for FZ8, FZ18 and FZ50. Is
there any concern to turn on the camera when the lens cap is on?

Doesn't apply to FZ50 as the lens doesn't extend.

On
the FZ 18, there is a beep sound and a message to open the lens cap
and press one of the button to start. However, I notice that when you
turn the camera on, the tip of the lens should come out beyond the
edge of the lens. Therefore, there is some kind of force that was
stopped by the lens cap. Is this a concern or causing some stress to
the motor of the lens?

Yes, I should imagine that long term damage could result if it is done
*every* time. It would be better to avoid it if possible.

But clearly the mere fact there is a message indicates that the camera
designers were aware of the 'danger' and have prepared for it.

It is just a force of habit that I seem to
keep to forget to keep the lens cover out first before turning on the
camera.
Is this said anywhere in the manual?

Not in my FZ5, but neither does it tell me in the manual that there is a
message saying that the dial is in the wrong position, but it still
tells me!

Thanks for info.

You are welcome!

Old September 18th 07, 07:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Fco

I have the same concern.

I will recomend to avod switching off befor removing the cap.

observed

Old September 23rd 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
[email protected]

On Sep 18, 1:55 am, "Fco" wrote:
I have the same concern.

I will recomend to avod switching off befor removing the cap.

"Michael J Davis" escribió en el . invalid...

observed

[...]

Went to the bush and took over 1000 shots. It performed well. I still
need to get used to take off the lens cover before turning on the
camera. The camera is light, and it does look rather "cheap" in
comparison to a steel body (like the G7). I wonder whether its bigger
"sibling" - the FZ50, has the stronger built body. However, it is just
the look and perhaps I am so used to heavier and steel feels to
appreciate the ruggedness of a camera. The bottom line, it worked well
despite of the rain, fog mist, and lots of shaking. Here's are some of
the photos
http://picasaweb.google.com/aniramca...rn_Manitoba_CA
Regards