Film + airport security

Old July 13th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
CHRIS KIDD

Default Film + airport security

Does anyone have up to date information on the status of films passing
through the carry-on x-ray machines? I'm taking a batch of Pan-F and Velvia
to the states - I havene't had any problems before, but it's been a while
since I've done it (also, is there any different between UK and US
scanners?).

Chris

Old July 14th 07, 08:48 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Father Kodak

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:20:14 -0400, shinjin datsu raku

"CHRIS KIDD" wrote:

Does anyone have up to date information on the status of films passing
through the carry-on x-ray machines? I'm taking a batch of Pan-F and Velvia
to the states - I havene't had any problems before, but it's been a while
since I've done it (also, is there any different between UK and US
scanners?).

Chris

AFAIK you can request hand inspection of all film and cameras. In the
USA the Transportation Security Administration is required to honor your
request.

You may have the _right_ to get hand inspection, but you don't have
the right to a _speedy_ hand inspection.

In my travels in 2006 with film cameras, I have had both very quick
hand inspections and overly thoroughly inspections that seemed
designed to impress the TSA management of the agent's "thoroughness."
Be prepared to have every sealed box opened, every camera body
"swabbed" and so forth. If you have extra lenses and accessories, just
put those through the X-Ray, so that only the film and film-carrying
bodies are hand-inspected. And give yourself at least 15 minutes
extra for this process.

Father Kodak