Costco/Qualex no longer!

Old October 26th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Default Costco/Qualex no longer!

Has anybody here had their slide film developed using the Costco Kodak service
[Qualex]? I went in there last weekend and the Kodak station as absent; upon
inquiry I am told that they no longer offer the service. I am quite
disappointed as turn around is much longer when sent to Fuji or A&I (and the
latter is much more expensive).

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old October 26th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
jeremy

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in message
.. .
Has anybody here had their slide film developed using the Costco Kodak
service
[Qualex]? I went in there last weekend and the Kodak station as absent;
upon
inquiry I am told that they no longer offer the service. I am quite
disappointed as turn around is much longer when sent to Fuji or A&I (and
the
latter is much more expensive).

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

I use BJ's Wholesale Club, which also offers Qualex, and I have noticed that
the amount of film being processed has dropped off considerably. I was
thinking that it is only a matter of time before demand drops to the point
that it is not worth the square footage devoted to offering the service.

In my case, I stopped using Qualex over a year ago, preferring to just walk
my negs into CVS Pharmacy and having them develop them and return them,
uncut and un-printed, in about 15 minutes, for $2.50 per roll. I then scan
them and order prints online. One of these days, even that bare-bones
processing service won't be available, and I'll have to choose between
developing them myself or just going digital in earnest.

Old October 26th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Thomas T. Veldhouse

jeremy wrote:

In my case, I stopped using Qualex over a year ago, preferring to just walk
my negs into CVS Pharmacy and having them develop them and return them,
uncut and un-printed, in about 15 minutes, for $2.50 per roll. I then scan
them and order prints online. One of these days, even that bare-bones
processing service won't be available, and I'll have to choose between
developing them myself or just going digital in earnest.

Unfortunately, CVS is not an option for positive slides. I have tried
negative film and have had pretty poor results from Costco development (they
make horrible prints). I end up scanning the negatives and creating my own
digital prints [using a Nikon Coolscan V]; but if I am going to scan, then I
may as well shoot with the higher quality [in my opinion] slide film.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old October 29th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
babelfish

You might consider trying a professional lab that offers QLab E6 service.
Many are only in major cities (mine is in NJ), but with the decreased amount
of slide film being sold and shot these days such labs are now willing and
even anxious to accept mail order film which is something they never had to
do in the past. A steady volume makes it easier for them to maintain a good
plot. In our case, we return the film the same day we get it, and although
the cost is higher than using a mailer (which doesn't go to Kodak anyway)
you're getting a higher quality process with more options.

john castronovo
tech photo & imaging
www.technicalphoto.com

Old October 30th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Thomas T. Veldhouse

babelfish wrote:
You might consider trying a professional lab that offers QLab E6 service.
Many are only in major cities (mine is in NJ), but with the decreased amount
of slide film being sold and shot these days such labs are now willing and
even anxious to accept mail order film which is something they never had to
do in the past. A steady volume makes it easier for them to maintain a good
plot. In our case, we return the film the same day we get it, and although
the cost is higher than using a mailer (which doesn't go to Kodak anyway)
you're getting a higher quality process with more options.

john castronovo
tech photo & imaging
www.technicalphoto.com

I wouldn't be doing due diligence without asking what pricing you offer on
standard E-6 processing [with cardboard or plastic?]. How about with
push/pull service? Your website still looks to be under development, so
wasn't able to ascertain this information for myself.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old October 31st 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
babelfish

"Thomas T. Veldhouse"
I wouldn't be doing due diligence without asking what pricing you offer on
standard E-6 processing [with cardboard or plastic?]. How about with
push/pull service? Your website still looks to be under development, so
wasn't able to ascertain this information for myself.

Yes, well even after 30 years in the business and even the first lab on the
web (really!) we never seem to get around to tending to the site as we
should. We encourage people to ask for pricing rather than post something
that might be misunderstood. In most cases our work is custom and so are the
prices. In short, rolls of 35mm film run $7.50 in plastic or cardboard. 120
film runs $5 in archival sleeving.

Adjusted processing for all rolls runs 50 cents a roll with a minimum of $2
per adjustment. If you have 5 rolls at a half stop pull, that's $2.50 extra,
but add another two rolls at push two stops, and that's an extra $2. On more
roll at minus 1/3 and that's an extra $2.

All film is returned the same day we get it via Fedex or UPS. You're welcome
to contact me off-list if you want to know more.

John Castronovo
www.technicalphoto.com

Old October 31st 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Thomas T. Veldhouse

babelfish wrote:
web (really!) we never seem to get around to tending to the site as we
should. We encourage people to ask for pricing rather than post something
that might be misunderstood. In most cases our work is custom and so are the
prices. In short, rolls of 35mm film run $7.50 in plastic or cardboard. 120
film runs $5 in archival sleeving.

Adjusted processing for all rolls runs 50 cents a roll with a minimum of $2
per adjustment. If you have 5 rolls at a half stop pull, that's $2.50 extra,
but add another two rolls at push two stops, and that's an extra $2. On more
roll at minus 1/3 and that's an extra $2.

All film is returned the same day we get it via Fedex or UPS. You're welcome
to contact me off-list if you want to know more.

Very good ... I appreciate the response. I will keep this post for the next
time I have several rolls and I will give you a try.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old November 17th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
[email protected]

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
Has anybody here had their slide film developed using the Costco Kodak service
[Qualex]? I went in there last weekend and the Kodak station as absent; upon
inquiry I am told that they no longer offer the service. I am quite
disappointed as turn around is much longer when sent to Fuji or A&I (and the
latter is much more expensive).

I was particularly disappointed to discover this last month because the
good price of photo processing at Costco was the only reason I joined.
I had it worked out to where I'd make up the fee on processing alone,
but haven't yet reached my break-even point. Now I'm going to have to
buy tires or something.