transferring to a new computer

Old July 3rd 12, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default transferring to a new computer

On 2012-07-02 17:22 , David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
"Alan Justice" writes:

I'm getting a Win7 Home Premium 64 bit machine to replace a Win XP. Do I
have to reinstall all the software (PS 6.0, Office Pro, Canon DPP, etc.) and
then go through the process of changing all the settings to how I like it,
or is there a simple way of just copying over (via a backup drive)? I think
some programs may be self contained in a single folder, but some may alter
Win system files, right?

You have to reinstall everything; there's no way to transfer an
installation of a Windows application from one machine to another.

It depends. I have some apps on my WinXp boxes that I just copied over
from other machines. This includes Lview, PS v. 6 (needed to copy a
bunch of DLL's from Program Files) and several others. If Win7 supports
emulation of WinXP or has an "XP" mode, that c/should work as well.

Certainly all sorts of DOS level programs I wrote under DOS and Windows
run w/o a hitch by copying them over - at least to XP.

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old July 3rd 12, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012-07-02 17:13 , Alan Justice wrote:

Yes, PS 6.0. I hope you're wrong about it not working with 64 bits on a PC.

No biggie if it doesn't work, just get Elements.whateverversionitsat for
about $100.

Old July 4th 12, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Justice

On 2012-07-02 17:13 , Alan Justice wrote:

Yes, PS 6.0. I hope you're wrong about it not working with 64 bits on a PC.

No biggie if it doesn't work, just get Elements.whateverversionitsat for
about $100.

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.

About all I ever do in PS 6.0 is simple stuff, like contrast & clone (I get the photo right in camera). So Elements will do that as well?

I did check with Adobe and they said 6 should work in XP emulation (so I have decided to get Win 7 Pro to get that), but no guarantee.

--
Alan Justice
http://home.earthlink.net/~wildlifepaparazzi/
Old July 4th 12, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-07-03 16:10:19 -0700, tony cooper said:

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 17:51:51 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2012-07-02 17:13 , Alan Justice wrote:

Yes, PS 6.0. I hope you're wrong about it not working with 64 bits on a PC.

No biggie if it doesn't work, just get Elements.whateverversionitsat for
about $100.

Adobe Elements has more features and useful tools than Photoshop 6.0.
Elements 9.0 can be obtained for about half that price. 10.0 is about
$100, but often available for around $70.

I got a copy of PSE-9 bundled with some other purchase I made. I
installed it to make a comparison with my CS5, and I was impressed with
just how far PSE has come. It is definitely far more useful than PS 6.0
or PS 7.0 and I would recommend PSE for those looking for a more basic
and economical photo editor. However I am too locked into my CS5 and LR
workflows to consider changing back now.

Savageduck

Old July 18th 12, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Dyer-Bennet

Eric Stevens writes:

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 16:22:38 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet
wrote:

"Alan Justice" writes:

I'm getting a Win7 Home Premium 64 bit machine to replace a Win XP. Do I
have to reinstall all the software (PS 6.0, Office Pro, Canon DPP, etc.) and
then go through the process of changing all the settings to how I like it,
or is there a simple way of just copying over (via a backup drive)? I think
some programs may be self contained in a single folder, but some may alter
Win system files, right?

You have to reinstall everything; there's no way to transfer an
installation of a Windows application from one machine to another.

I'm not sure that you are correct. See
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...other-computer

The list of what it transfers is files and settings, and user accounts,
Internet favorites, and e‑mail. Notably lacking is "applications".
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old July 19th 12, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Stevens

wrote:

"Alan Justice" writes:

I'm getting a Win7 Home Premium 64 bit machine to replace a Win XP. Do I
have to reinstall all the software (PS 6.0, Office Pro, Canon DPP, etc.) and
then go through the process of changing all the settings to how I like it,
or is there a simple way of just copying over (via a backup drive)? I think
some programs may be self contained in a single folder, but some may alter
Win system files, right?

You have to reinstall everything; there's no way to transfer an
installation of a Windows application from one machine to another.

I'm not sure that you are correct. See
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...other-computer

The list of what it transfers is files and settings, and user accounts,
Internet favorites, and e?mail. Notably lacking is "applications".

Reinstalling the basic application is the easy part.

Copying across files, settings, user accounts, internet favourites etc
is where you can end up with something that looks totally unlike your
previous computer.

Eric Stevens