Nikon D5200 price, too expensive?

Old January 23rd 13, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

Default Nikon D5200 price, too expensive?

On 13/01/2013 9:43 AM, RichA wrote:
$899 is kind of high for that grade of body I think. I would have
figured $750 or so, but I guess the D3200 occupies that price-point.

In comparison what does the 5200 offer over the 3200 and are they
necessary ?
Old January 23rd 13, 07:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

On 23/01/2013 2:35 PM, Steve B wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message
On Jan 22, 6:52 pm, Rob wrote:
On 13/01/2013 9:43 AM, RichA wrote:

$899 is kind of high for that grade of body I think. I would have
figured $750 or so, but I guess the D3200 occupies that price-point.

In comparison what does the 5200 offer over the 3200 and are they
necessary ?

So you are paying $300 extra for an articulated LCD. The other
differences are trivial.

* * * *

I personally do not like the articulated LCDs. Nothing against THEM, but I
just know that I (sorry I cannot embolden, italicize, and underline the
previous I's) would find a way to screw it up, or break it.

DAMHIKT

Steve

I don't use the LCD to shoot images - all through the viewfinder. Only
the occasional review of what's been shot (throw back from film days).
Old January 23rd 13, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter[_18_]

"RichA" wrote in message
On Jan 22, 6:52 pm, Rob wrote:
On 13/01/2013 9:43 AM, RichA wrote:

$899 is kind of high for that grade of body I think. I would have
figured $750 or so, but I guess the D3200 occupies that price-point.

In comparison what does the 5200 offer over the 3200 and are they
necessary ?

So you are paying $300 extra for an articulated LCD. The other
differences are trivial.

* * * *

I personally do not like the articulated LCDs. Nothing against THEM, but I
just know that I (sorry I cannot embolden, italicize, and underline the
previous I's) would find a way to screw it up, or break it.

DAMHIKT

Steve

I don't use the LCD to shoot images - all through the viewfinder. Only
the occasional review of what's been shot (throw back from film days).

You can get away without one, but there have been occasions when an
articulated LCD will allow you to do things you can't do with a
viewfinder. Mostly for "grab" or "documentary shots."

You have answered your question from above. If you like to use the
articulated screen, and time lapse, you pay the extra money to get them.
I would give my wisdom teeth, and prolong my knees if I had an
articulated viewfinder on my camera. Actually I purchased a third party
EVF.

--
PeterN
Old January 23rd 13, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Steve B" wrote in message
I personally do not like the articulated LCDs. Nothing against THEM, but
I just know that I (sorry I cannot embolden, italicize, and underline the
previous I's) would find a way to screw it up, or break it.

OTOH I love being able to turn the LCD face in for complete protection when
I am not using it.
And having an overhead or waist level finder in live view mode.

Trevor.

Old January 24th 13, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

On 24/01/2013 9:52 AM, Trevor wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
I personally do not like the articulated LCDs. Nothing against THEM, but
I just know that I (sorry I cannot embolden, italicize, and underline the
previous I's) would find a way to screw it up, or break it.

OTOH I love being able to turn the LCD face in for complete protection when
I am not using it.
And having an overhead or waist level finder in live view mode.

Trevor.

I guess its what you become used to.

How are these things attached or should I say powered - ribbon cable?
So far, for myself, there has been 3 particular electronic Items where
the cable has failed - flip phones, car air bag, so I'm very wary of
this type of connection.
Old January 24th 13, 10:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
me[_5_]

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 20:35:34 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"RichA" wrote in message
On Jan 22, 6:52 pm, Rob wrote:
On 13/01/2013 9:43 AM, RichA wrote:

$899 is kind of high for that grade of body I think. I would have
figured $750 or so, but I guess the D3200 occupies that price-point.

In comparison what does the 5200 offer over the 3200 and are they
necessary ?

So you are paying $300 extra for an articulated LCD. The other
differences are trivial.

I believe the differences in the focus systems may or may not be
trivial depending on the intended use.

Side by side comparison can be done he
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...ras/index.page

Old January 29th 13, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Rob" wrote in message
I personally do not like the articulated LCDs. Nothing against THEM,
but
I just know that I (sorry I cannot embolden, italicize, and underline
the
previous I's) would find a way to screw it up, or break it.

OTOH I love being able to turn the LCD face in for complete protection
when
I am not using it.
And having an overhead or waist level finder in live view mode.

I guess its what you become used to.

How are these things attached or should I say powered - ribbon cable? So
far, for myself, there has been 3 particular electronic Items where the
cable has failed - flip phones, car air bag, so I'm very wary of this type
of connection.

Yes ribbons can cause trouble, or be trouble free like any other electronic
circuitry, depending on design and quality of construction. However given
that some swivel finders can be swiveled around and around, those would
probably use some sort of pressure contacts, which may be better or worse.
I'm simply betting I will replace my camera body before my 5 year extended
warranty expires though.

Trevor.