Please bring back 110 film and new 110 cameras

Old December 11th 11, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ric Trexell

Default Please bring back 110 film and new 110 cameras

Like all inexpensive cameras, they started out with some really good ones,
and the people demanded cheaper and cheaper cameras. Eventually, all that
was available in 110 format were the cheapy Vivitars and Kodaks. I had a
Minolta 470 and it took great shots, although yes they were grainy. It was
handy to carry around with my 35mm camera, and it was mainly a fun camera,
not one I would take a serious picture with. I did have a Kodak 20 and used
it in the Navy to take some shots while we were refueling. It was not in
the way and I used slide film. Some of those pictures are now on a web site
at www.usspreble.org in the 1973-75 section. Kodak came out with the 110
film because they felt there would be a silver shortage and they could get
people using a smaller format. That didn't happen and as video cameras came
out, a lot of silver based movie film was now being replaced by video.
Small 35mm cameras also helped to end the 110 format. Ofcourse now with
tiny digital camera, 110 has lost all of its appeal. Perhaps we will see a
digital camera someday that looks like the 110 cameras of the 70's, but I
don't see much reason for it. If you want a cheapy 110, there are plenty of
them around and you might be able to get film from the Fruegal Photographer.
Actually, the film Kodak came out with after the 110 was that disc thing.
Had they made a larger negative they might have had a good camera format,
but again, digital would have killed it in a few years.

Old December 11th 11, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 11:31:55 -0600, "Ric Trexell" wrote:
: Perhaps we will see a digital camera someday that looks like
: the 110 cameras of the 70's, but I don't see much reason for it.

I don't see how you could do it in any case. The battery compartment alone
would be nearly the size of a Minox.

Bob
Old December 11th 11, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
U-m757\\bud

On 2011-12-11, Ric Trexell wrote:
Small 35mm cameras also helped to end the 110 format.

Plus Kodak brought out APS to replace it. You can still get APS film
processed at Walgreen drug stores.
New 35 mm definitely is a niche market these days.
Bud

Old December 12th 11, 07:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

On 2011-12-11, Ric Trexell wrote:
Small 35mm cameras also helped to end the 110 format.

Plus Kodak brought out APS to replace it. You can still get APS film
processed at Walgreen drug stores.

APS basically killed itself. Besides the fancy cartridge, the big draw of APS
was the magnetic strip where the camera could record the exposure information.
Smart printing machines could read the strip and use it to make a "good"
print.

In order to save cost, the cheap APS cameras did not record anything on the
strip, so printing machines where made that could make "good" prints by
scanning the negative and using it to make better decisions than it could
from the magnetically encoded data when it was there.

Since the same technology could be applied to 35mm negatives, which did
not require royalties to Kodak, anyone could make a cheap 35mm camera and
users would still get good results. With the -2,+4 stop latitude of
the newer color films, you did not even need automatic exposure in most
cases.

So no one was buying APS with it's higher prices, when you could get royalty
free 35mm ones for a lot less that were as good as or better.

New 35 mm definitely is a niche market these days.

But surprisingly still around, there are some things which look better done
in film.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(