? Photo ops at Marco Island, Fl. ?

Old July 29th 04, 10:41 PM
Rich Pos

Default ? Photo ops at Marco Island, Fl. ?

Any suggestions for good photo ops on or around Marco Island, Florida?

Thanks,

RPŠ
Old July 30th 04, 01:11 AM
Al Denelsbeck

Rich Pos wrote in
:

Any suggestions for good photo ops on or around Marco Island, Florida?

Never been to the island, but cruised the general area a few times.

From a wildlife standpoint, you probably can't go wrong. Birds
aplenty, and practically tame, would be my guess - they are around here.
Should be countless chances of alligators. Early morning might net you
deer, otters, tortoises, and the usual raccoons, armadillos, and the like.
In fact, you can find 'dillos at night fairly easily, and they spook more
over sound or smell than by light - they're practically blind. I've had
them walk up to my feet in broad daylight.

Head north a bit, and Ft. Myers Beach (Little Estero Lagoon), Sanibel
Island and the Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge therein, Corkscrew Swamp
Sanctuary, are all solid places - again, largely wildlife, though Sanibel
Island is a fun and quaint town in itself - Seashell Museum, Mel Fisher's
Salvage Museum, bike rentals, and so on. Captiva is good too. Gulf coast
beaches are quiet and usually picturesque. Burrowing Owls are supposed to
be regulars near Ft. Myers, have yet to see one myself.

Follow Rt 41 out towards Miami a little bit, and there's Fakahatchee
Strand and Big Cypress Bend Boardwalk (http://wading-
in.net/Reptiles/Gatorpair.html). This is the heart of the Everglades, and
there's a few indian reservations and the chance for airboat rides.

Several places near the island should permit snorkeling, and it
should be well worth it. Sharp eyes in open water should get a look at
dolphins, manatees, and potentially different species of rays. Shallow calm
water may turn up stingrays easily - they're harmless if you avoid stomping
on them. Explore - the area should have lots of hidden surprises.

Drop me a line direct if you have the interest, and I'll provide
specific directions and/or websites. Or pick me up on the way down and I'll
guide you ;-)

Sunscreen and bug repellent, a nice shady hat for everyone (or maybe
one for each person), plenty of water. Many areas are not built up much,
which means long distances between rest stops, especially on 41. Scattered
shade, don't count on it. And rain can come without any warning whatsoever
this time of year, even with the sun shining, so grab a bunch of those
disposable plastic rain ponchoes to keep handy (I always have at least two
in my camera bags). MIND THE F**KING ANTS! Vicious little ****suckers; keep
an eye where you walk.

Good luck, and have fun!

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below

Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old July 30th 04, 02:10 AM
Rich Pos

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:11:07 GMT, Al Denelsbeck
wrote:

Rich Pos wrote in
:

Any suggestions for good photo ops on or around Marco Island, Florida?

Never been to the island, but cruised the general area a few times.

From a wildlife standpoint, you probably can't go wrong. Birds
[...]

Thanks for the great suggestions AL.
Be flying into PIE on 8/8, and driving the 170 miles to Marco. The RT.
41 trip sounds great as we've never been to Everglades. Will try to do
some boating, hopefully snorkeling ..although navigation maps show no
reefs in the local area.
The rest of the time on a beach, under a palapa, hefting margaritas. I
hear the sunsets are awesome. Plan on spending a few hours each dusk
shooting film. The longest lens in my arsenal is 135mm, so that will
probably eliminate most wildlife stuff. Well, I hope that's a good
excuse. Truth be told reptiles creep me out...... although I hope to
see some, just not through a 20mm

Thanks for the heads up on the ants and the armadillos. Wasn't
planning on boots or socks but think I'll play it safe.

Don't know how far a ride it is for you to Marco but we'd like to
treat you to something to eat and a few cocktails. The hotel we're at
has a highly regarded Italian Ristorante / wine cellar. They even
claim a *native* Italian staff... whatever that means.

That's a great shot of the alligator babies.

RPŠ