what's up with Nikon?

Old September 22nd 04, 06:20 PM
Dallas

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:44:13 +0000, Bill Hilton wrote:

If you have a product like the 1Ds that's currently shipping you
typically wouldn't announce the model replacing it (1Ds Mark II) until
you're ready to start shipping. Otherwise sales would dry up for the
existing model. Same deal with the 20D, they announce it and start
shipping product within a couple of weeks, and suddenly the 10D looks
like yesterday's news.

If you don't have a product in that slot (if you're not competing with
yourself) then you'd announce several months early since you aren't
canibalizing your sales and also you might keep some of your base users
from jumping ship to the competition. Minolta for example announced
their dSLR last February and we still don't know the ship date or price.

So Nikon has nothing to lose by announcing the D2X before they can
actually ship it, and a lot to gain since many pros have dumped Nikon
and moved to Canon because of the 1D Mark II and 1Ds. This should slow
down the defections since the D2X looks like a very sweet camera, based
on the specs and projected price.

One of the things I have noticed with Canon is that they can replace
models faster than you can get haircuts and none of their fanbase seems to
get ****ed with them (despite the fact that the newer camera renders their
older camera pretty worthless on the used market).

It doesn't bother me that Nikon take their time in putting out products.
Doesn't bother me at all.

--
Dallas www.dallasdahms.com
"Going down a dirty inner city side road I plotted

Old September 22nd 04, 06:35 PM
Sander Vesik

leo wrote:
Canon announces their new products a month, or two at the most, before they
appear in the market. Nikon's doing the FUD more than half a year away, like
the D70 and now the D2X.

It would be nice if you either lerned what FUD means or stopped posting
nonsense. I have never seen a single piece of FUD from Nikon.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old September 22nd 04, 10:38 PM
Tony

That yawn is why I and many thousands of others have all switched from Nikon
to Canon. At this point, were I not allowed to buy Canon, I would switch to
Pentax - which has all that compatibility Nikon claims ot have, but doesn't
and also has a consistant interface among the camera bodies.
Besides, no one can be worse tha Nikon service - as I learned all too
late.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Wesley Jansen" wrote in message
link.net...

"Tony" wrote in message
. com...
Attempting to head off the loss of customers to Canon. Sort of a -

"Hey
guys - if you just hold on, we'll be here pretty soon."
Like the new professional sports/news camera Nikon just announced

last
week in time for the 2004 Summer Olympics, so all those Nikon pros can
catch --- Ooops! I guess that one is for the 2006 Winter Olympics.

Well Tony, nothing's changed has it? Whatever, whenever Nikon does
anything, it's trivial compared to the much idolized Canon. It's like

Canon
people are only concerned about who is perceived to be #1. Kind of like

the
attitude of some Americans who feel America is #1 and nobody, but nobody
should dream of disputing this. Despite your gloomy and negative
predictions about Nikon and its formidable new professional camera, I'll
wager Nikon will do quite well with it. I'd love to have it, and since it
will most likely be considerably less money than Canon's newest offering

of
the month, it has a much greater chance of getting into my bag. Not

taking
anything away from Canon, but it wears rather thin when Nikon announces a
truly great new camera, and all we get from you is....YAWN, who cares my
Canons will always be better.

Old September 22nd 04, 11:55 PM
John McWilliams

Dallas wrote:

It doesn't bother me that Nikon take their time in putting out products.
Doesn't bother me at all.

So, give it a rest, already.

You protest too much, waaay too much.

--

John McWilliams

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Old September 23rd 04, 12:27 AM
Wesley Jansen

Tony, as long as I've known you on this newsgroup, you've been biased
towards Canon, but not unreasonably so. Now you've seem to become like some
of those Canon trolls that diss any and all Nikon. Too bad. You seem to
get all warm and fuzzy because you perceive that you're on the same team as
Art Wolfe and some others. Now you say you like Pentax? Give all of us a
break!!

om...

Old September 23rd 04, 12:59 AM
Tony

I've never had much respect for Nikon since owning Nikon Cameras.
Recently I learned not to buy Nikon Scanners either - unless you can afford
to throw them away when they break down.
I see Nikon as a third rate company that some people claim is great
because they've never taken the time to try out any good stuff. It only took
me five minutes comparing the AF on an F4 to that on a Rebel (original
model) to decide that Nikon wanted to pee on my head and tell me it was
raining.
You and your kind will continue to defend your bad decisions - fine with
me. Go ahead. But I wouldn't recommend Nikon to anyone except Annika.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
The Improved Links Pages are at

"Wesley Jansen" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Tony, as long as I've known you on this newsgroup, you've been biased
towards Canon, but not unreasonably so. Now you've seem to become like

some
of those Canon trolls that diss any and all Nikon. Too bad. You seem to
get all warm and fuzzy because you perceive that you're on the same team

as
Art Wolfe and some others. Now you say you like Pentax? Give all of us a
break!!

om...