alt photo methods:transfer

Old January 4th 04, 06:44 AM
Angela M. Cable

Default alt photo methods:transfer

Sub Codex wrote:

Hi Angela, you asked:

What exactly is the problem with printing
directly to a transparency with the C60?
Epson's site shows a print dialog in the C60's
driver that shows that it accepts transparency
film.

The C60 will print onto a transparency when the printer is hooked up to
a computer. I don't have a computer.

I use a WebTV Plus® "Internet Appliance" sometimes called an "Internet
Receiver". Proud owners of the device usually call it the "little black
box (llb)". It accesses the Internet through a phone line and the system
hooks up to a regular tv and uses its screen instead of a monitor.

It is easier and costs less than a computer. I wouldn't be able to be
online without it. But in some ways it lacks in power and efficiency.

Unfortunately my "llb" and printer, as serviced by msntv (formerly
webtv),
won't print onto a transparency.

Oh, so you can't access the print driver at all then. Wow, how weird. I
think you'll have bigger problems than that though if you were planning
on doing anything terribly sophisticated. I don't have any idea how
you're obtaining your source image, it needs to be substantially larger
than anything that you'll find on the web. The very minimum you could
get away with would be 100ppi, which means for an 8x10 output, the
source image needs to be 800 x 1,000 pixels. For a decent print, you
need at least twice that, 1600 x 2,000 pixels. To do a cyanotype, the
image needs to be greyscale and then inverted (creating a negative). In
order to do something like a tempratype with three process colors, you
need an image editor that will split to CMY or CMYK, resulting in
separate images, one for each color channel. The editor also needs to be
able to place registration marks on each printout. Paint Shop Pro,
PhotoPaint and PhotoShop can all do this, but you have to have a hard
drive to install it on.

--
Angela M. Cable
PSP8 Private Beta Tester

PSP Tutorial Links:
http://www.psplinks.com
5th Street Studio, free graphics, websets and mo
http://www.fortunecity.com/westwood/alaia/354/
Old January 6th 04, 04:21 PM
Sub Codex

Hi Angela. I think you see what is going on here with my situation. You
pretty well sum it up when you wrote:

...you'll have...problems...if you were planning
on doing anything terribly sophisticated.

I am in way over my head here. I don't have your knowledge of the
software you mentioned and even if I did I couldn't use it without a
computer. Thank you for your input. I hope I'm not a dissapointment.
8=95)

The photo silk screen: I planned to use a poured bichromate emulsion. If
I remember right from my reading this would work with a "positive"
transparency. The transparency image in this case hopefully coming from
an inkjet print.

I have done stencil-types of silk screens and I've always wanted to do a
photo screen. I am not very experienced in this stuff. I've done a
little b&w darkroom.

But some of my previous projects have been fun and I "earned" some very
modest recognition. Nothing spectacular, and as you put it, not
"sophisticated." 8=95)

I find it a challenge to work using improvised methods when the
mainstream techniques are unavailable. Sometimes it works and sometimes
it doesn't.

I am not a very good artist. I try to make up for my lack of talent by
offering something new or unusual and by fulfilling the role of the
"tortured soul", the "avant-garde", the "starving artist". I am the
Savage of Huxley's _Brave New World_ yet it is limerick and not
Shakespeare that is upon my lips. (Thank God for Prozac).

You should see how long my beard is. I look quite the scoundrel.

Sub Co-

Old January 7th 04, 01:50 AM
Angela M. Cable

Sub Codex wrote:

Hi Angela. I think you see what is going on here with my situation. You
pretty well sum it up when you wrote:

...you'll have...problems...if you were planning
on doing anything terribly sophisticated.

I am in way over my head here. I don't have your knowledge of the
software you mentioned and even if I did I couldn't use it without a
computer. Thank you for your input. I hope I'm not a dissapointment.
8•)

You know, you can probably do this at a public library. They usually
charge something, not much, I think it's 10 or 20 cents here, for making
a xerox. Of course, you'd have to bring your own transparency film, and
I'd bring it still in the box so that they can see that it is indeed
transparency film for a copy machine. You can't run inkjet transparency
film through a copy machine, it'll melt and damage the copier.

The photo silk screen: I planned to use a poured bichromate emulsion. If
I remember right from my reading this would work with a "positive"
transparency. The transparency image in this case hopefully coming from
an inkjet print.

If you're really gung-ho on the idea of using an inkjet transparency,
check and see if the library has a flatbed scanner for public use. You
can scan the image there. Windows comes with some kind of imaging app
built in, can't remember the name of it now, not Paint, it's more
sophisticated than that, designed for photographic images. Anyway, you
can greyscale the scan in it and then, again for not much, make a
printout onto your own transparency film. If there's an image online
that you were planning on using, just bring the URL to it with you,
download at the library and print to transparency film.

To create a tempratype, if that was next on your list of things to try,
you're going to have to have access to a real computer with software.
Doing a tempratype isn't much different in theory than four color
process printing done in print shops. You split the image into CMY,
these are greyscale images. You'd print these to transparency film with
registration marks. Each transparency gets exposed using emulsion that
is dyed the same color, the cyan channel transparency would be used with
cyan emulsion, etc.

--
Angela M. Cable
Neocognition, digital scrapbooking source: