Just Bought Digital Rebel - Took 1 Picture and It Died

Old June 24th 04, 09:04 PM

Default Just Bought Digital Rebel - Took 1 Picture and It Died

(RacerRik) wrote in message . com...

I took one lousy picture and on the second shot
the camera locked up and gives me an "err 99" code.

Anybody else had an experience like this??

Watch Canon like a hawk. My 300d is 1 week old, and so far so good.
Except I have a (small) 32MB cf card (Unity Digital) that consistently
gives cf errors. My 128MB Sandisk CF didn't have any problems yet.
Someone told me to stick with Sandisk. My local store only has
Kingston memory, and would like to know what people's experiences are
with Kinston cf memory. I know the name is familiar but that doesn't
mean a damn thing anymore these days. Sony for instance has a *ton*
of crap on the market.

About Canon. My previous camera was a Canon Powershot S10. It
started to give me errors about the zoom lens 1 month before the
warranty expired. Canon fixed it for free. When I dropped it off at
the Canon office, I took out everything, including the time-battery,
thinking, no loose pieces means I won't lose anything. They fixed the
zoom lens alright, put a whole new one on. But then there was a
problem with the battery. Everytime I changed the battery I had to
reset the clock. I thought, the time-battery was empty, so I left it
for a few months. Replaced it, and *still* had to reset the clock
everytime I changed the battery. Darn! Canon had fixed the zoom
lens, but broken the battery backed up time function!

So, watch Canon like a hawk. Hope that when you get an error, it'll
be a consistent one, and not an intermittent one that is hard to
prove.
But what else is a $ sensitive prosumer to do? Nikon, Canon's only
serious competition to the 300D, is *not really* in the same league,
because it costs 100's more.

I hope your camera can be replaced without any hassle, or else, go
over it with a fine toothcomb when your camera comes back fixed.

Regards,

Homer

~Mike