Do all dig cameras save in JPEG only?

Old July 26th 04, 08:25 PM

Default Do all dig cameras save in JPEG only?

Question for all you digital camera owners out.....

Do all digital cameras save the file in some kind of
loss less format like TIFF?

Or do they only save them in JPEG format?

OK.... here is the deal..... my sister GAVE me a
digital camera. Yes gave me her old one as she bought a
new one

Here is the model she gave me

http://www.steves-digicams.com/fuji1300.html

Since this is my first dig camera ever Im a bit
confused on how/what file formats they save in

It appears that this camera ONLY saves in JPEG.....
true?

If yes..... it seems logical that I would want to
convert the original shots from JPEG to TIFF..... and
archive the TIFF files correct?

Or would you just save the JPEGS..... and then convert
to TIFF on the fly and as needed?
Old July 26th 04, 08:31 PM
Zebedee

wrote in message
Question for all you digital camera owners out.....

Do all digital cameras save the file in some kind of
loss less format like TIFF?

Or do they only save them in JPEG format?

Some cameras save in TIFF but this is regarded as being a pointless waste of
space. Uncompressed JPEG takes up a lot less space. Typically a 1.3mb JPEG
will be an 8mb TIFF file for no gain.

Digital SLRs save in RAW format as well as JPEG. This has advantages for
post photo editing but is manufacturer dependent. The Sigma SD10 is
particularly problematic in this way as it only saves in RAW.

The best way to make sure you never lose quality is to save in the camera's
highest quality setting.

--
Yours

Zebedee

(Claiming asylum in an attempt
to escape paying his debts to
Dougal and Florence)

Old July 26th 04, 08:40 PM
Doug Kanter

Simple answer (the only one I'm qualified to give so far): No. Some save
only in JPG. I was just comparing models at the Olympus web site, so this is
as much as I know so far.

Old July 26th 04, 08:50 PM
Andy Fraser

In rec.photo.digital, uttered these immortal words:

Question for all you digital camera owners out.....

Do all digital cameras save the file in some kind of
loss less format like TIFF?

No.

Or do they only save them in JPEG format?

No. Some will also save in Tiff or some raw format or whatnot.

OK.... here is the deal..... my sister GAVE me a
digital camera. Yes gave me her old one as she bought a
new one

Here is the model she gave me

http://www.steves-digicams.com/fuji1300.html

Since this is my first dig camera ever Im a bit
confused on how/what file formats they save in

It appears that this camera ONLY saves in JPEG.....
true?

If yes..... it seems logical that I would want to
convert the original shots from JPEG to TIFF..... and
archive the TIFF files correct?

I would say if you're not going to edit the picture keep it as a JPEG. JPEGs
take up less space than Tiffs even if the Tiff is compressed.

Or would you just save the JPEGS..... and then convert
to TIFF on the fly and as needed?

I keep all my pictures as JPEG unless I'm going to edit it. I then use Tiff
or PSD as an intermediate format until I'm sure I've finished editing the
picture at which point I save it back to JPEG and hang the extra loss in
quality for the smaller file size. At least I'm lot losing any quality due
to resaving as a JPEG at each stage of editing. I always keep the original
just in case I need it again.

--
Andy.