Need a low shutter lag point and shoot digital

Old November 15th 04, 04:36 PM
C J Campbell

When I bought my Minolta Dimage A1 it was reviewed as having the shortest
lag of any digital non-SLR. I was very disappointed with it. Although it was
indeed faster than any other camera I had owned to that point, it focuses
too softly, defaults to 72 dpi for jpeg compression, and has a lot of
digital noise. The A2 supposedly corrected all these faults and was even
faster.

The smallest cameras are going almost entirely to SD cards. I really love
Jane's Nikon 5200. It is very fast, too, but uses only the SD cards.

Old November 15th 04, 05:31 PM
David J Taylor

David J. Littleboy wrote:
[]
The Nikon 8400 includes an additional focus sensor in addition to
contrast detection and is much faster in focussing.

It seems you are wrong on this.

I have the camera in front of me and can see the additional sensor! The
8400 is faster in focussing than comparable cameras, in my experience.

[]
Later cameras offer you the optional choice of scene area to focus
on, just like an SLR.

If you think there is _anything_ about small-sensor cameras that is
"just like an SLR", I've got a bridge to sell you.

David, are you saying that SLRs do /not/ offer you a choice of focus area?
If that's the case, then they are less versatile than I thought.

Cheers,
David

Old November 15th 04, 10:34 PM
David J. Littleboy

"David J Taylor" wrote in message
David J. Littleboy wrote:
[]
The Nikon 8400 includes an additional focus sensor in addition to
contrast detection and is much faster in focussing.

It seems you are wrong on this.

I have the camera in front of me and can see the additional sensor! The
8400 is faster in focussing than comparable cameras, in my experience.

How about a pointer to a page in a review that discusses this. The best I
could find was "spot AF" which didn't sound like a separate sensor.

Later cameras offer you the optional choice of scene area to focus
on, just like an SLR.

If you think there is _anything_ about small-sensor cameras that is
"just like an SLR", I've got a bridge to sell you.

David, are you saying that SLRs do /not/ offer you a choice of focus area?
If that's the case, then they are less versatile than I thought.

I was talking about _performance_.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old December 14th 04, 06:11 PM
T.N.T.

I posted this earlier, but didn't see it on any outside servers.

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 19:24:10 GMT, you, "Roger N. Clark (change username
to rnclark)" , wrote in news:4197B0DA.6020907
@qwest.net:

Hi. I need some help. I want to get a small
point and shoot digital camera, but I am concerned
about the shutter lag.

Hope it's not too late, but you may want to take a look at the Sony V3
he http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/V3/V3A7.HTM

The V3 and several other Sony cameras appear to to have shutter lag
arround 9-11ms, which is 4 times shorter than that of your 1D-II. They
also have some of the fastest focusing and shot to shot cycle times among
P&S digicams too. It's just Sony's JPEG quality is not up to Canon's
level, however, IMO. It meets all of your requirements except priced at
more than $500.

You can also compare lag times of many cameras on www.imaging-
resource.com which I think has the best time measurements out there.

--
T.N.T.

Lbh xabj jung gb qb vs lbh rire jnag gb rznvy zr.