A question for Applefans

Old September 15th 15, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default A question for Applefans

On 9/12/2015 11:40 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

You research toasters, too?

toasters are commodity products. there's not a whole lot of research to
do.

I agree. Evidently, they require research if purchased in Sweden.
Popinjay equates them with refrigerators and feels both should be
researched before purchase.

...and if you want a toaster which would deal with bagels, and other
similar toastables, and then discover the one you bought will only
accomodate sliced bread.

OK...there are two ways to know that: 1) do research on the internet,
and, 2) look at the model on the shelf and see if it has wide
openings.

bagels require more than wide openings.

bagels require that it toasts only on one side, usually a toaster-oven
rather than a pop-up toaster.

Bagels require being boiled in water and fresh. Toasted and rack bagels
are a poor substitute.
A good water bagel can be restored by placing it in a microwave for
about ten seconds, directly over a small egg dish filled with boiling
water.

--
PeterN
Old September 15th 15, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 9/12/2015 4:38 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

OK...there are two ways to know that: 1) do research on the internet,
and, 2) look at the model on the shelf and see if it has wide
openings.

bagels require more than wide openings.

bagels require that it toasts only on one side, usually a toaster-oven
rather than a pop-up toaster.

No, they don't "require" that. Bagels will toast in a toaster if they
fit. We do use a toaster oven for bagels and English muffins, but
it's not a requirement.

it is if you want to properly toast a bagel where only one side is
toasted.

otherwise, both sides are toasted, which is both wrong and tastes
awful.

obviously, you don't give a **** about doing things properly nor do you
know much about bagels. you probably don't care if they're boiled or
not.

You don't have to be Jewish to like bagels.

--
PeterN
Old September 15th 15, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-09-09 20:26:48 +0000, Tony Cooper
On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 13:11:22 -0700, Savageduck
On 2015-09-09 14:23:46 +0000, Tony Cooper
said:

I wanted three features: ability to make and receive phone calls,
ability to take photos (but quality not an issue), touchscreen
keypad.
The research required for this was glancing at each phone on display
in the AT&T store.

Additionally, I wanted a phone with a good history of dependibility.

Does this mean you aren't interested in the iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S+, or
the iPad Pro?

Presently, no. As I've said, owning the newest shiny object is not my
thing. Should I need a new phone or iPad, I would - of course -
consider them. I don't expect that I'd choose the 6S, though. I'd go
for the smaller 6. A large display area is not a feature that
interests me. Pocket-size is a more important feature to me.

The 6S is the smaller of the two, the 6+S the larger. Both were
announced this morning.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

I would like a larger screen, but there is a limit to the size that
fits in my pocket.

I usually carry my iPhone 5S in a shirt pocket, or if I am wearing a
T-shirt without a pocket, I am usually wearing a pair of cargo short
with an appropriate pocket for my phone.

When things cool down a bit out here, and if I am wearing my Columbia
vest (with many pockets), or a jacket the phone goes into one of those
pockets.
http://www.columbia.com/mens-silver-ridge-vest-AM1019.html?dwvar_AM1019_variationColor=339#start= 9

...and
I have checked, the iPhone 6+ or the new iPhone 6S+ will fit in any of
the pockets I might carry it in if (or when I buy one). What I don't do,
is carry any phone in a rear pocket.

Putting the phone in a shirt pocket interferes with my ICD. I agree,
rear pockets are not a good idea. For general use I can only use my
front pants pockets.

I am not very good with belt holsters. For you it's different.

I am only good with some belt holsters, and only when needed. ;-)
https://db.tt/sE7iqgO8

--
PeterN
Old September 15th 15, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-15 01:58:11 +0000, PeterN said:

On 9/13/2015 11:15 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 10:47:25 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 9/12/2015 12:37 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

You research toasters, too?

toasters are commodity products. there's not a whole lot of research to
do.

there are differences between brands. Many do not do English muffins
well. Some are harder to clean and use than others.

We have a toaster, but it's stowed away in a cabinet and seldom used.
Toasting is done using a toaster oven, and the toaster oven is capable
of cooking much more than just toast.

The last time I remember the toaster being brought out was a Sunday
morning when my daughter, my son-in-law, my son, my daughter-in-law,
and the grandchildren were over and a late breakfast was served. To
keep up with toast demand, both appliances were used.

We haven't had a toaster in years. We use a convection oven that can
function as a toaster.

Here I was thinking you were going to say, bread on a stick over an open fire.

Savageduck

Old September 15th 15, 03:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 9/12/2015 9:28 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

Today I bought a new blender. I can tell you the brand, but not the
model.

a blender is a commodity product. not the same thing.

Please define what you mean by commodity product. In what sense are they
more of a commodity product than cellular phones.

I wonder how many here know the model of the computer they use. I
know the brand and the specs, but not the model.

some computers have goofy model numbers that nobody can remember.

knowing the specs is equivalent.

--
PeterN
Old September 15th 15, 06:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Andreas Skitsnack wrote:

*Colonial Photo is the store that failed to impress Popinjay.

Yes, Andreas got all worked up about that, so he took a crappy camera and went
down to the store and took photos of it to show that it was... eh, impressive?
Turns out, his photos only showed some 70-ish separate camera models (if we were
being generous) and for reasons unknown he thinks this is a very impressive
store. I have no idea why he has so much pride invested in the store.

Not the B&H store in Kissimmee he says he found.

Ah, making stuff up, the troll MO.

--
Sandman
Old September 15th 15, 07:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Andreas Skitsnack wrote:

Sandman:
Savageduck thought you were a "knowledgable consumer", he hasn't
said anything about you buying the wrong phone, or proposing a
better phone for you. He probably couldn't care less what phone
you use.

He said he would have suggested a basic phone. I would have
rejected the suggestion. My money, my choice.

You are free to spend whatever money you have on whatever you want, but when you
whine here about stuff because you didn't do any research, and it turns out you
bought something that is way overkill for your use, then you just come off as an
ignorant old man with an agenda.

Sandman:
He is expressing amazement that you are so ignorant about what you
are purchasing, probably because his image of you was that you
were someone that didn't just buy any old toaster or
refrigerator, and that you actually took some time to do some
research into what you spend your money on. That's what he "can't
understand". You have adequately proven him wrong.

Refrigerator...first thing we'd do is my wife would go to a store
and look at the available models and see what configuration suits
her. That's really her thing. I'd do little webchecking to see if
the brand and model has good reviews.

But why? You don't apply this method to phones so why would you do for something
as mundane as a fridge? In fact, after what you've said here, I'd assume you go
to a store and look at a fridge and say "hey, that one seems to physically fit"
and get it, so you get a super modern fridge with carbonated water, LCD screen
and laser sensors for reading OCR codes off of its content, and then you'd use it
to store a milk cart and some beer.

Let's get into something where research is really required. If I
need the roof to be re-shingled I'd research the hell out of it.

But why? If you won't do it for a phone, why the roof? Why not just call someone
and end up rebuilding the entire roof, adding a sundeck and BBQ that you'll never
use?

A phone, though? Nah, not so much. Apple phones seem OK.

They are, and also overkill for someone like you. Do yourself a favor and do some
research so you don't buy things you don't need.

--
Sandman
Old September 15th 15, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Been there, done that.
Beats SOS though. There was one guy in my unit that actually liked SOS.

--
PeterN
Old September 15th 15, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

While we didn't serve together, I was one who looked forward to SOS on
the menu at mess.

There's gotta be one in every unit. If you come from a small town,
you'll be the one. Us city guys have different tastes. Do you also like
poutine?
What about Haggis?

OTOH I like escargot with garlic butter and and rijoa blanca from a bota
bag.

--
PeterN
Old September 15th 15, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

I grew up in Indianapolis but lived in Chicago went I went off to Ft
Leonard Wood.

There are two types of SOS: one has chipped beef as the "****" and
the other has ground hamburger as the beef. I never like the chipped
beef version because chipped beef is too salty for my taste. The
cooks at Ft Leonard Wood used ground beef. The shingle, of course, is
common to both and is a slice of toast.

I was stationed at Ft. Knox then Ft. Gordon. In both places it was over
salted creamed chipped beef on toast.

It's difficult to prepare good food when your measuring cup is a 55 gl
drum, but the Ft Leonard Wood cooks turned out some decent meals.

Actually easier. Small mistakes don't drastically change the taste.

My wife prepares what looks like SOS at times, but uses sausage (pork)
instead of beef and biscuits instead of toast. It's the traditional
southern biscuits and gravy.

Big difference. What your wife makes sounds quite edible. On my Southern
trips I go out of my way to order grits, and white gravy with biscuits
and fried chicken. Though one of my favorite Southern foods is fried
green tomatoes.

Do you also like
poutine? What about Haggis?

Neither were ever on the menu at Ft Leonard Wood. I've had both, but
wouldn't go out of my way to have either again. Gravy on french fries
is a common thing in the UK, but the cheese curd ingredient is more
likely to be found in Quebec. I tried Haggis when I was in Scotland,
and found it not disgusting but didn't ask for a recipe.

You Easterners, at least some of you, call red sauce as served with
spaghetti "gravy" and put gravy on your pasta. It sounds bad to these
Midwestern ears, but doesn't taste bad.

You are also an Easterner. I have several meals in every Eastern state
and have never heard of tomato sauce being called gravy.
I have eaten enough meals with my Italian friends to know the
difference. I will usually not eat pasta in a diner, and like it al dente.

Gravy, to me, is either brown (meat based) or white (chicken based).
It is not red or tomato based.

Yep!

--
PeterN