Nikon raw (*.nef) support?

Old June 28th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeffrey Kaplan

Default Nikon raw (*.nef) support?

My brand new Nikon D40x is my first DSLR, and also the first digicam
I've used that can output files in "raw". I think I know now what that
means, but I'm having problems actually using them.

My camera has two "raw" modes, plain raw and "raw+basic". I took the
same picture in each, then transferred the image files to my Windows XP
Pro system's hard drive.

ACDSee Photo Manager 8 and Paint Shop Pro Photo XI both claim to
support Nikon RAW files, but neither one can open the ones I have. What
are my other options? Pre-emptively for the record, Photoshop is out
of my price range, including (at least for now precisely because I just
bought this camera...) Elements.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Lieutenant Commander Ivanova, escort Major Kemmer off the Observation
Dome." "With pleasure. (takes Kemmer's arm) You are going to resist, I
hope." (Cmdr. Sinclair and Lt. Cmdr. Ivanova, B5 "Survivors")
Old June 28th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Warren Block

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
My brand new Nikon D40x is my first DSLR, and also the first digicam
I've used that can output files in "raw". I think I know now what that
means, but I'm having problems actually using them.

My camera has two "raw" modes, plain raw and "raw+basic". I took the
same picture in each, then transferred the image files to my Windows XP
Pro system's hard drive.

"Raw" records just the raw (.nef) file. "Raw+Basic" produces both the
..nef and a .jpg. It takes more space but can be more convenient.
Having the camera do the JPEG conversion may produce better JPEGs than
an external program.

ACDSee Photo Manager 8 and Paint Shop Pro Photo XI both claim to
support Nikon RAW files, but neither one can open the ones I have. What
are my other options? Pre-emptively for the record, Photoshop is out
of my price range, including (at least for now precisely because I just
bought this camera...) Elements.

Windows stuff... don't know. Although there's UFRaw:

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

Old June 28th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Faz

Look this up,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.graphicregion.com/

Old June 28th 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2007-06-27 18:26:24 -0700, Jeffrey Kaplan said:
ACDSee Photo Manager 8 and Paint Shop Pro Photo XI both claim to
support Nikon RAW files, but neither one can open the ones I have.

Nikon uses a different raw format for every camera they make. You will
have to wait for ACDSee and Paint Shop to release updates for the D40x,
which is still a relatively new camera. Adobe and Apple just released
their updates not very long ago. I doubt that ACDSee or Paint Shop are
far behind.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old June 28th 07, 11:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Matt Clara

"Warren Block" wrote in message
Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
[...]

He obviously needs updated software that can handle the newer D40x
files--same thing is true of macs and linux, not just windows.

--
www.mattclara.com

Old June 28th 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

"Matt Clara" wrote:

Windows stuff... don't know. Although there's UFRaw:

He obviously needs updated software that can handle the newer D40x
files--same thing is true of macs and linux, not just windows.

Dave Coffin's /dcraw/ supports the D40x as of early
June, but the last (Mar 07) release of Ufraw does not.

However, it would be a fairly simple hack to cut the two
or three lines of code added to dcraw.c out and patch
them into Ufraw. That isn't something everyone would
want to try, but it actually should be pretty easy to
add support for the D40x to Ufraw.

If anyone with Linux isn't comfortable trying it, and
really really wants Ufraw with D40x support, if they'll
send me an example NEF formatted file, I'll try it and
see if a static linked binary can be produced for use on
any generic '86 platform.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old June 28th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jim

On 2007-06-27 21:26:24 -0400, Jeffrey Kaplan said:

My brand new Nikon D40x is my first DSLR, and also the first digicam
I've used that can output files in "raw". I think I know now what that
means, but I'm having problems actually using them.

My camera has two "raw" modes, plain raw and "raw+basic". I took the
same picture in each, then transferred the image files to my Windows XP
Pro system's hard drive.

ACDSee Photo Manager 8 and Paint Shop Pro Photo XI both claim to
support Nikon RAW files, but neither one can open the ones I have. What
are my other options? Pre-emptively for the record, Photoshop is out
of my price range, including (at least for now precisely because I just
bought this camera...) Elements.

In the short term, Picture Project (while not the best software in the
world) is included with your camera, and I believe should read the raw
nef files and of course convert them. The other thing.. how about
PhotoShop Elements.... 1/6 the price of CS and 98% or what you need for
photo editing including support for Adobe Raw.

I will no doubt incur some wrath for this, but Nikons Capture NX is not
a bad peice of software at all. I use the older version for some Raw
conversion because I find it produces results nearly as good as Adobe
with less effort. And it saves the changes as a delta in the NEF, so I
can always "go back".

--
Jim

Old June 28th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Jun 28, 3:26 am, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
My brand new Nikon D40x is my first DSLR, and also the first digicam
I've used that can output files in "raw". I think I know now what that
means, but I'm having problems actually using them.

My camera has two "raw" modes, plain raw and "raw+basic". I took the
same picture in each, then transferred the image files to my Windows XP
Pro system's hard drive.

ACDSee Photo Manager 8 and Paint Shop Pro Photo XI both claim to
support Nikon RAW files, but neither one can open the ones I have. What
are my other options? Pre-emptively for the record, Photoshop is out
of my price range, including (at least for now precisely because I just
bought this camera...) Elements.

Most programs will soon be updated to recognise it, presumably. If you
want something now, look at Helicon Filter
http://www.heliconsoft.com/
which is a nice little program. It can be used for all editing, if you
want, and has a reasonable noise reduction facility (that's what it
started life as). It also does raw conversion with one of three
methods (it either uses the Nikon SDK, dcraw, or their own
implementation of the standard algorithms). It should recognise d40x
files. I also know there is a freeware version, but that may not
include raw conversion (buying the program is, I think, 20 or 30
dollars, so not that much). Anyway, you can check on their website if
raw conversion is included in the free version.

Old June 28th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Don F[_2_]

On 2007-06-27 21:26:24 -0400, Jeffrey Kaplan said:

snip
In the short term, Picture Project (while not the best software in the
world) is included with your camera, and I believe should read the raw nef
files and of course convert them. The other thing.. how about PhotoShop
Elements.... 1/6 the price of CS and 98% or what you need for photo
editing including support for Adobe Raw.

I will no doubt incur some wrath for this, but Nikons Capture NX is not a
bad peice of software at all. I use the older version for some Raw
conversion because I find it produces results nearly as good as Adobe with
less effort. And it saves the changes as a delta in the NEF, so I can
always "go back".

--
Jim

I found that the raw converters in both Nikon Capture 4.4 and Capture NX
provided a better sharpening process than Photoshop 7 or Elements 5. I
understand that there are complex multi-pass sharpening processes that would
probably result in optimized sharpening but I am talking about the "simple"
use of the sharpening tool options.
I also have Elements 5 which is a neat editing program with an exceptional
image file organizer.
I agree with you that NX is a nice piece of software. The U point
technology is great tool.
I tried the 30 trial version and bought the retail version when the time
expired. There is a learning curve but it is fairly intuitive overall. I
am producing excellent quality images with NX so that is what I will stick
with for now.
What I found unusual is that NX came with a printed manual, not only in
English but in Spanish.
NX is certainly not a substitute for the expensive Photoshop software but
either Elements 5.0 or Capture NX are good alternatives for those who do not
want to learn the professional software editing processes.
Don F

Old June 28th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeffrey Kaplan

It is alleged that Faz claimed:

Look this up,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.graphicregion.com/

Downloaded, thank you.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on
behalf of Americans." - George W. Bush, Sep 6, 2000