Printing on the back of a print.

Old February 1st 04, 01:34 AM
Mark in Maine

Default Printing on the back of a print.

I want to make a calender, by printing the calender grid thing on the
back of some RC prints, then spiral binding them together. I have
been using Ilford RC paper, but am having a hard time finding
something that will print on the back - if I use an inkjet (Epson
1280) - the ink does not seem to dry, and is very susecptible to
water. I also have a laser printer, which is better, but I get a
ghost image, about an inch away from the original image. Has anybody
done this before - any comments, suggestions, etc?

Mark

Old February 1st 04, 01:54 AM
Tom Thackrey

On 31-Jan-2004, Mark in Maine wrote:

I want to make a calender, by printing the calender grid thing on the
back of some RC prints, then spiral binding them together. I have
been using Ilford RC paper, but am having a hard time finding
something that will print on the back - if I use an inkjet (Epson
1280) - the ink does not seem to dry, and is very susecptible to
water. I also have a laser printer, which is better, but I get a
ghost image, about an inch away from the original image. Has anybody
done this before - any comments, suggestions, etc?

I don't have an answer, but I do have a warning. Laser printers are very hot
and some use fuser oil, RC paper is plastic, you could end up with an RC
print melted to the drum of your laser printer. It's a very expensive repair
and the print is usually ruined ;-)

--
Tom Thackrey
www.creative-light.com
Old February 1st 04, 05:51 AM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
Mark in Maine wrote:

I want to make a calender, by printing the calender grid thing on the
back of some RC prints, then spiral binding them together. I have
been using Ilford RC paper, but am having a hard time finding
something that will print on the back - if I use an inkjet (Epson
1280) - the ink does not seem to dry, and is very susecptible to
water. I also have a laser printer, which is better, but I get a
ghost image, about an inch away from the original image. Has anybody
done this before - any comments, suggestions, etc?

Mark

Your are an idiot..we all do stupid stuff like this reply...:-D Ha that aside
why not print the calendar part underneath the picture on the same sheet
of paper, them laminate the whole page? Or try something like the press on calendars
at the "Photographers Edge".

What I want is software that generates calendars for a whole year,years into the future
and can print the calendar at high res,....say 600 dpi.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank
Old February 1st 04, 06:03 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 1/31/2004 4:34 PM Mark in Maine spake thus:

I want to make a calender, by printing the calender grid thing on the
back of some RC prints, then spiral binding them together. I have
been using Ilford RC paper, but am having a hard time finding
something that will print on the back - if I use an inkjet (Epson
1280) - the ink does not seem to dry, and is very susecptible to
water. I also have a laser printer, which is better, but I get a
ghost image, about an inch away from the original image. Has anybody
done this before - any comments, suggestions, etc?

First of all, sorry, I haven't done this myself.

But I'm curious why you're getting a ghost image with your laser printer. Is
this perhaps just your printer? I've printed paper about the thickness of RC
paper in a laser printer before without this problem, though nothing with a
surface like RC.

How about doing a test by taking a few sheets of RC to a copy shop and seeing
if they'll run them through their copier (basically the same process as a
laser printer)? As long as you can convince them the sheets won't ruin their
equipment, they should do it. (Keep in mind that laser printers and copiers
are fine with plastic sheets, like transparency film or laminating sheets.)

--
It's stupid, moronic and too fcuking obvious, as obvious as counting your
fingers, so TELL ME SOMETHING I DON'T KNOW or just shut the fcuk up.

- "jjs" in extremis on rec.photo.darkroom

Old February 1st 04, 01:43 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Mark in Maine wrote:
I want to make a calender, by printing the calender grid thing on the
back of some RC prints, then spiral binding them together. I have
been using Ilford RC paper, but am having a hard time finding
something that will print on the back - if I use an inkjet (Epson
1280) - the ink does not seem to dry, and is very susecptible to
water. I also have a laser printer, which is better, but I get a
ghost image, about an inch away from the original image. Has anybody
done this before - any comments, suggestions, etc?

Mark

There are felt-tip pens with rather fine points out there that write
perfectly well on photographic negatives and on the backs of RC prints.
They are said to be archival, and perhaps they are. You just have to
find the right ink.

This does not directly solve your problem because you surely do not wish
to draw calanders on the back of your prints with a felt tip pen. So if
you can find (ask Epson perhaps?) an ink for a printer that uses a
composition enough like that in those felt tip pens, they dry quite fast
(not instantaneously).

/V\ Registered Machine 73926.
^^-^^ 7:40am up 25 days, 19:04, 2 users, load average: 3.80, 3.71, 3.18

Old February 1st 04, 02:09 PM
Frank Calidonna

Mark in Maine wrote:
I want to make a calender, by printing the calender grid thing on the
back of some RC prints, then spiral binding them together. I have
been using Ilford RC paper, but am having a hard time finding
something that will print on the back - if I use an inkjet (Epson
1280) - the ink does not seem to dry, and is very susecptible to
water. I also have a laser printer, which is better, but I get a
ghost image, about an inch away from the original image. Has anybody
done this before - any comments, suggestions, etc?

Mark

Mark,

Dick Blick Art Supply, dickblick.com , sells a very nice blank calendar. I
have used it before. It is made to either paint or draw a picture every
month, but it easily fits a horizontal or vertical 5x7" print on the pages.
As a bonus you don't have to do the binding as it is already put together.
They used to cost about $4.00 each.

Frank Rome, NY

Old February 1st 04, 02:16 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

Mark in Maine wrote:

RC prints ... print on the back - if I use an inkjet (Epson
1280) - the ink does not seem to dry ...

I doubt you can get conventional ink jet to stick
to the back of RC paper.

Ink jet ink is designed so that it does not dry.
If it dried then the ink nozzles would clog up.
The ink works by penetrating the paper and wicking
into the fibers. The back of RC paper is water-proof
and the ink can not penetrate to the paper beneath.

There are industrial continuos stream ink jet printers
that do use an evaporating marking ink for printing date codes
on milk jugs and soup cans.

The easiest solution may be to use ink-jet paper and
print the photo on one side and the calendar on the
other.

There are (were) companies that sold calendar 'kits' for
ink-jet and color laser. The years calendar was pre-printed
on the back and the paper was punched for and came with
a spiral binder.

You might try using fiber base photographic paper.
I have never tried running photo paper through a
printer, though. The lack of sizing in
the paper may cause the ink to bloom with time
- try it to find out.

--
Nick Lindan
Old February 1st 04, 02:24 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote (in part):

You might try using fiber base photographic paper. I have never tried
running photo paper through a printer, though. The lack of sizing in
the paper may cause the ink to bloom with time - try it to find out.

I thought photo paper had a lot of sizing on (in) it. I am not talking
about hand made platinum style paper. Of course, the gelatine layer(s)
are on top of the sizing, but perhaps the gelatin acts as a sizing for
subsequent ink.

/V\ Registered Machine 73926.
^^-^^ 8:20am up 25 days, 19:44, 2 users, load average: 3.83, 3.75, 3.73

Old February 1st 04, 02:49 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

The lack of sizing in [photographic] paper...

I thought photo paper had a lot of sizing on (in) it.

Mea culpa. You are right, it is sized.

DW fibber paper put me in mind of rag mounting board.

Obviously time to start the coffee maker....

--
Nick Lindan
Old February 1st 04, 05:16 PM
Gary Beasley

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 00:34:58 GMT, Mark in Maine
wrote:

I want to make a calender, by printing the calender grid thing on the
back of some RC prints, then spiral binding them together. I have
been using Ilford RC paper, but am having a hard time finding
something that will print on the back - if I use an inkjet (Epson
1280) - the ink does not seem to dry, and is very susecptible to
water. I also have a laser printer, which is better, but I get a
ghost image, about an inch away from the original image. Has anybody
done this before - any comments, suggestions, etc?

Mark

If it all has to be on photo paper you might try something like 11x14
creased and folded to 11x7 with the image on one side and the calendar
grid on the other. Folded sheets will bind as well as single sheets.
If flatness is a problem you might want to use adhesive of some kind
inside the folded sheet. FWIW Epson makes a double sided paper that
you could use for better effect.