The care of lenses

Old February 1st 04, 03:31 PM
John

Default The care of lenses

Hello,

Unfortunately I realize that I know very little of the
manufacturers recommendations for lens storage and care and I have
several lenses for both my numerous cameras and enlargers. Hopefully
this spring I am going to be building something like a humidor to keep
the lenses in a less humid environment. I am including a drawer in the
bottom for silica gel holders to reduce the humidity. My primary
concerns are heat and humidity which we have plenty of here in the
central Tennessee foothills. A/C is a luxury that I usually don't
afford a lot of and the humidity can vary from a pleasant 60% up to
90+% in the summertime.

My questions are as follows;

1) Is there an authoritative guide to lens care ?

2) Does high heat levels cause lens separation ?

3) Can the environment around the lens be too dry ?

4) Would the inclusion of a fluorescent lamp in the humidor produce
enough UV to stop any fungus ?

5) Are there any other concerns I should have ?

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email
Old February 1st 04, 07:00 PM

feb104 from Lloyd Erlick,

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 08:31:30 -0600, John

My questions are as follows;

1) Is there an authoritative guide to lens care ?

I'm sure there is; I'm commenting on your other questions ...

2) Does high heat levels cause lens separation ?

I'd be very surprised if heat from weather on planet earth would do
this. I'm only going on Shirley's word, here, though -- surely the
manufacturers would make sure their lenses survive tropical
conditions.

3) Can the environment around the lens be too dry ?

Probably, but you might not want to pay for the electricity to achieve
it...

4) Would the inclusion of a fluorescent lamp in the humidor produce
enough UV to stop any fungus ?

I'd be surprised if this helped significantly. Mildew is a prime
suspect, and it is essentially stopped by dryness. Spores are
everywhere always, part of the dust we breathe, so we can only control
the conditions in which they might or might not grow. (Or, make your
home a clean room. Send your kids away...).

5) Are there any other concerns I should have ?

Humidity and temperature are the keys. Toxics and radiation, well, if
you must.

I've seen silica gel in the supermarket, sold as an odor absorber,
near the cat supplies. In two kilogram containers, for under ten
bucks. Pack it up in some sort of small metal containers suitable for
putting inside lens containers, and store the lenses nice and dry. You
could rotate your numerous packs of gel after drying them in the oven.
Maybe make a double system by putting the lenses in their individual
containers with gel packs into a larger humidor (great term!) that is
also airtight and full of dessicant.

My darkroom was in a basement for decades, and I never had it air
conditioned (never had mildew in my lenses, either, although it did
get the bottom drawer of my clothes, the most distant point from the
dehumidifier). I used a dehumidifier in the wet season. It had nowhere
near the elecrical draw of an a/c, and in fact was the tool that made
it possible for me to utilize the square footage downstairs, so it was
justified. I'd even go so far as to say use two dehumidifiers if the
space is even slightly large. The electrical cost will not be that
much greater, because each machine will run a bit less; the 'dryness'
will be more evenly distributed, though. (Obviously a dehumidifier
needs to run all the time, not just when you're there...).

My best advice to protect lenses is to have a relatively tight room
and run a dehumidifier in it. It's not that expensive.

And -- the lecture continues -- a relative humidity (RH) readout
device is a necessity. I've seen them for fairly little money at Radio
Shack. Usually it will show the time and temperature as well as the
relative humidity (spend the extra for the one with the extra large
letters, plus the date and day of the week, and the messages from your
mother). It provides the feedback necessary for your brain to direct
your hand in the adjustment of the little control knob on the
dehumidifier. This is essential, but cheap. (Also a necessity in the
dry season, when I have to run my humidifier...).

An even longer treatment of this subject appears on my website, under
the 'technical' heading of the table of contents.

regards,
--le

ps - a point to consider is that mildew seems to like sealed, or at
least closed, containers. Perhaps because there is no air movement
inside, and the slightest trace of moisture never goes away. Maybe
your humidor should have an air circulator, maybe filtered. (Bring the
air out of the humidor, incinerate it, cool it, circulate back to
humidor.) (Make it a walk-in.) (Rent me a room in it.)

pps - part of the reason I know some of this is that I know someone
who is sensitive to mildew and moulds. In his case, exposure to mildew
and leaf mould causes personality alteration. Not for the better,
either. Spores, mould, mildew - real fun guys.
_______________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits,
2219 Gerrard Street East, unit #1,
Toronto M4E 2C8 Canada.
---
voice 416-686-0326

http://www.heylloyd.com
_______________________________________
Old February 2nd 04, 10:28 PM
Argon3

When I was in Japan some years ago, I saw these little humidity control
cabinets for sale in all of the major camera stores. They were about the size
of a mini-fridge and had glass doors, lights and hygrometers/thermometers
mounted on them. I assumed that the humidity in Japan made these cabinets a
necessity for the serious photographer/collector. Haven't seen them for sale
in the US but you might look around...the internet being the handy aid that it
is, you might find them for sale somewhere.

argon
Old February 2nd 04, 10:59 PM
jjs

"Argon3" wrote in message
When I was in Japan some years ago, I saw these little humidity control
cabinets for sale in all of the major camera stores. They were about the

size
of a mini-fridge and had glass doors, lights and hygrometers/thermometers
mounted on them. I assumed that the humidity in Japan made these cabinets

necessity for the serious photographer/collector. Haven't seen them for

sale
in the US but you might look around...the internet being the handy aid

that it
is, you might find them for sale somewhere.

Another source of dehumidfiers is gun shops. The dehumidity unit is electric
and is part of the high-end gun safes. I have no idea whether they work well
or not, but you might check them out.

[Survey] -Prime Lenses in the kit -results Orville Wright In The Darkroom 69 June 29th 04 02:38 PM
Please help me choose lenses for my SLR mike wheeELer 35mm Photo Equipment 9 June 21st 04 06:42 PM
Yashica Lenses Bob Film & Labs 2 April 28th 04 05:42 AM
The difference in enlarging lenses John In The Darkroom 23 January 31st 04 11:36 AM