FX-37 modification.

Old October 14th 05, 06:45 PM
Keith Tapscott

Default FX-37 modification.

I don`t know if anybody makes their own FX-37, but they might be interested
to know that Geoffrey Crawley has made a small change to the original
formula.
The only difference between this and the original formula is an increase of
Potassium Bromide from 0.5 gram to 1 gram per litre and the omission of
Benzotriazole which can be difficult to dissolve.
(Published in the Amateur Photographer, dated 15th October 2005).

Old October 14th 05, 07:24 PM
Francis A. Miniter

Keith Tapscott wrote:

I don`t know if anybody makes their own FX-37, but they might be interested
to know that Geoffrey Crawley has made a small change to the original
formula.
The only difference between this and the original formula is an increase of
Potassium Bromide from 0.5 gram to 1 gram per litre and the omission of
Benzotriazole which can be difficult to dissolve.
(Published in the Amateur Photographer, dated 15th October 2005).

Hi Keith,

What different effects are to be noticed in the film?

Francis A. Miniter
Old October 14th 05, 08:39 PM
Keith Tapscott

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message
Keith Tapscott wrote:

Hi Keith,

What different effects are to be noticed in the film?

Francis A. Miniter

According to Crawley, none. The changes made are to make the stock solution
easier to prepare for the amateur hobbyist. Benzotriazole was originally
included for the conditions of professional reuse as fog levels can rise.
Although not stated in the article, I assume the starting point developing
times remain unchanged.
It finally states that the change has no effect on image quality.
Geoffrey Crawley uses Ilford Delta 100 as one of the films for testing lens
resolution that he test for the magazine along with a Fuji colour film,
although I can`t remember which one.
I hope this of use to you Francis.

Old October 14th 05, 10:50 PM
UC

There can be a tiny difference between these restrainers, but for all
practical purposes it can be ignored.

Old October 16th 05, 04:36 AM
Francis A. Miniter

Keith Tapscott wrote:

Hi Keith,

What different effects are to be noticed in the film?

Francis A. Miniter

According to Crawley, none. The changes made are to make the stock solution
easier to prepare for the amateur hobbyist. Benzotriazole was originally
included for the conditions of professional reuse as fog levels can rise.
Although not stated in the article, I assume the starting point developing
times remain unchanged.
It finally states that the change has no effect on image quality.
Geoffrey Crawley uses Ilford Delta 100 as one of the films for testing lens
resolution that he test for the magazine along with a Fuji colour film,
although I can`t remember which one.
I hope this of use to you Francis.

I made some up tonight using this modification.

Francis A. Miniter
Old October 16th 05, 12:18 PM
Keith Tapscott

I don`t make my own processing chemicals although I know that many people on
this newsgroup do and it is an interesting subject, which is why I reported
the slight change to the formula.
One person who tried FX-37 with Delta 100 complained that his negatives were
too thin and flat. This person found the Paterson FX-39 developer to work
very well indeed and was surprised at the difference in quality. Geoffrey
explained that the two developers are not related and FX-39 was formulated
to provide very full emulsion speed.
Apparently with FX-37, the film benefits from slightly more generous
exposure of perhaps one-third to two-thirds or half a stop in practice. The
developing times of course are starting points and should be adjusted to
yield the desired contrast for the photographers usual paper grade.
Please report your experience with FX-37.
Thanks.

Old October 16th 05, 05:42 PM
Francis A. Miniter

Keith Tapscott wrote:

Hi Keith,

What different effects are to be noticed in the film?

Francis A. Miniter

According to Crawley, none. The changes made are to make the stock
solution easier to prepare for the amateur hobbyist. Benzotriazole was
originally included for the conditions of professional reuse as fog
levels can rise. Although not stated in the article, I assume the
starting point developing times remain unchanged.
It finally states that the change has no effect on image quality.
Geoffrey Crawley uses Ilford Delta 100 as one of the films for testing
lens resolution that he test for the magazine along with a Fuji colour
film, although I can`t remember which one.
I hope this of use to you Francis.

I made some up tonight using this modification.

Francis A. Miniter

I used this mix to develop some 4x5 pictures I took yesterday inside a pub. The
owner had furned up the lights to help, but, of course, a pub still remains
dark. I used TMY and the exposures were made for 2 seconds at f/4.7, with an
old Kodak 127 mm lens. The reason I chose FX-37 was that I wanted to ensure
maximum development in the shadow areas.

I rotary processed the films, two at a time, in 100 ml. of FX-37 at a 1:3
dilution for 9 minutes, with water rinse and alkaline fixer. The results were
superb. Shadow detail was beyond my best hopes.

Francis A. Miniter