Canon 20D detail?

Old February 5th 05, 03:05 PM
TAFKAB

Default Canon 20D detail?

I was reading the test reports on DP Review, and one of the test shots
doesn't seem to make sense. In the Maxum 7D test, on the "studio scene
comparison" page, take a look at the red flower petals. There seems to be
much more detail in the petals in the Minolta shot than the 20D shot. The
Canon shot looks very smooth; almost too smooth. Is this a characteristic of
the camera, or just with reds?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/koni...a7d/page21.asp

On the next page, the same scene compares the 7D with the Nikon D70, and
they look very similar.

Old February 5th 05, 03:15 PM
Eric Gill

"TAFKAB" wrote in
. com:

I was reading the test reports on DP Review, and one of the test shots
doesn't seem to make sense. In the Maxum 7D test, on the "studio scene
comparison" page, take a look at the red flower petals. There seems to
be much more detail in the petals in the Minolta shot than the 20D
shot. The Canon shot looks very smooth; almost too smooth. Is this a
characteristic of the camera, or just with reds?

It's characteristic of no in-camera sharpening.

Take a look at the rest of the shots; the 20D shows more detail and no
moire.

Old February 5th 05, 04:30 PM
Lester Wareham

"TAFKAB" wrote in message
. com...
I was reading the test reports on DP Review, and one of the test shots
doesn't seem to make sense. In the Maxum 7D test, on the "studio scene
comparison" page, take a look at the red flower petals. There seems to be
much more detail in the petals in the Minolta shot than the 20D shot. The
Canon shot looks very smooth; almost too smooth. Is this a characteristic
of the camera, or just with reds?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/koni...a7d/page21.asp

On the next page, the same scene compares the 7D with the Nikon D70, and
they look very similar.

The other shots look very consistent with the 20d slightly sharper so
perhaps they have mixed the picks up I thought. Seems not if I download
them.

The trouble with this sort of comparison is one does not know how strong the
relative in camera sharpening is.

Because these are jpegs it is difficult to assess for sharpening halos as
the jpeg adds similar artefacts.

Both cameras will probably produce better detail with RAW files rather than
JPEG, so it would have made more sense I think for the review to have used
RAW.

Old February 5th 05, 08:33 PM
TAFKAB

"Eric Gill" wrote in message
4...
"TAFKAB" wrote in
. com:

I was reading the test reports on DP Review, and one of the test shots
doesn't seem to make sense. In the Maxum 7D test, on the "studio scene
comparison" page, take a look at the red flower petals. There seems to
be much more detail in the petals in the Minolta shot than the 20D
shot. The Canon shot looks very smooth; almost too smooth. Is this a
characteristic of the camera, or just with reds?

It's characteristic of no in-camera sharpening.

Ah. Shoulda known that...

Take a look at the rest of the shots; the 20D shows more detail and no
moire.

Yes, I've seen some very nice stuff from 20Ds, so this shot struck me as a
little odd.

Old February 5th 05, 09:12 PM
David J. Littleboy

"Eric Gill" wrote in message
4...
"TAFKAB" wrote in
. com:

I was reading the test reports on DP Review, and one of the test shots
doesn't seem to make sense. In the Maxum 7D test, on the "studio scene
comparison" page, take a look at the red flower petals. There seems to
be much more detail in the petals in the Minolta shot than the 20D
shot. The Canon shot looks very smooth; almost too smooth. Is this a
characteristic of the camera, or just with reds?

It's characteristic of no in-camera sharpening.

Actually, I think it's because the 20D shot is exposed differently than the
7D shot. If you download the full frame of both, you'll see that the white
label on the bottle at the left is much whiter in the 20D shot. If you look
at the crayons, the 7D is holding detail in the tips of the yellow, orange,
red, and pink crayons better. I think that's simply because the 20D image is
slightly overexposed.

Whatever, it _is_ true that the bright reds/yellows on the 20D shot are a
tad out of control in the 20D, and the 7D does an excellent job of retaining
detail in reds and yellows.

Take a look at the rest of the shots; the 20D shows more detail and no
moire.

The 20D detail is truly lovely, the difference really jumps at you if you
download the full images.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/koni...a7d/page21.asp

On the next page, the same scene compares the 7D with the Nikon D70,
and they look very similar.

If you look at the D70 crayons, you'll see it going nuclear in the yellow
and red.

Again, it looks to me that Minolta is doing a good job of keeping the red
channel under control.

FWIW, the E300 has the orange, red, and pink crayons under control, but the
yellow crayon seems overexposed/blown.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old February 6th 05, 01:50 AM
Colin D

TAFKAB wrote:

I was reading the test reports on DP Review, and one of the test shots
doesn't seem to make sense. In the Maxum 7D test, on the "studio scene
comparison" page, take a look at the red flower petals. There seems to be
much more detail in the petals in the Minolta shot than the 20D shot. The
Canon shot looks very smooth; almost too smooth. Is this a characteristic of
the camera, or just with reds?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/koni...a7d/page21.asp

On the next page, the same scene compares the 7D with the Nikon D70, and
they look very similar.

I'd say they fell into the all-to-common trap of relying on autofocus,
and the canon shot of the tulips (or whatever) is actually slightly out
of focus. Look between the flowers to the rear glass rim, and the
stalks there. They are sharper then the front objects.

Every other comparison there shows better detail in the Canon.

Colin.