UK - Medium Format running costs (Hasselblad)

Old April 29th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

Default UK - Medium Format running costs (Hasselblad)

"Alan Browne" wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:

US$1,000 for a bargain grade 40/4.0? Give me a break.

Can you do better in Tokyo?

I don't have to: KEH ships to Tokyo.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old April 29th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

"Andrew Price" wrote:
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

Your problem I think is that Tokyo used prices are outrageous (I
visited
a half dozen stores in Shinjuku and the Ginza area a few years ago...).

Japan certainly is nuts for "brand name" stuff.

But I'm looking at KEH prices for 'blad stuff.

I think a lot depends on what the local market thinks a reasonable
price is, which must be a prime factor for KEH when fixing their
prices.

Mamiya equipment is a good example of that - the KEH prices are no
doubt reasonable, in relation to the prevailing prices in the US
market. But they sell second hand Mamiya gear for almost as much as
it can be bought brand new from Robert White in the UK.

Yep. Used Mamiya 645 stuff is quite reasonable here. Unfortunately, used
Mamiya 7 lenses are pricey everywhere. Sigh.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old April 30th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Andreas Gugau

j. fabian schrieb:
In article ,
"Eddy Aldrin" wrote:
I'm thinking of a technology retrograde and buying an old Hasselblad
500c/el (always wanted one), but I'm pretty clueless about running costs for
medium format. Can someone give me an idea of :
1/ film costs by type(b/w, colour, slide) - I'm assuming max 12 shots at
6x6
2/ Processing costs

Film costs:

Ilford HP5 Plus 120 Black/White $ 3.29 / roll 120
Fujichrome RDP III Provia 120 100sp $ 3.49 / roll 120

Lab costs:

Black & White Process & Contact
Xtol in a Refrema dip & dunk $10.00 / roll 120

E-6 Process & sleeve, dip & dunk $ 5.00 / roll 120

B&W custom RC prints 8" x 10" $10.00 / each
B&W custom fibre prints 8" x 10" $12.50 / each

You can lower costs with a little dark room and a used Jobo processor.
Maybe some enlarging stuff. For b/w it's almost nothing. I am here in
Germany - in euro:

b&w-film: 1 gallon of D-76 is 5 euro and enough for 15 films. 0,33
euro/film. Add 0,15 Euro for fix. Less than half a Euro per film.

E-6: Tetenal 3-bath is 65 euro/5 liters. That's for 60+ film. You can
develop 70-80 film if you work with many films at once. So it's 1,10
euro per film.

And the used Jobo-processor is 50-100 euro.

It's not expencive at all! And it makes fun.

Andreas

--

Fotos unter http://www.gugau-foto.de/

Schottland unter http://www.whisky-guide.de/
Old May 1st 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote:

David J. Littleboy wrote:

US$1,000 for a bargain grade 40/4.0? Give me a break.

Can you do better in Tokyo?

I don't have to: KEH ships to Tokyo.

Well, just picked up the 120 f/4. Excellent condition, I'd rate it as
an EX+ on the KEH scale. CAD$950 + Tx. (About US$940 all in).

Test shots this week I hope.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 1st 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Eddy Aldrin

Default THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR TAKING THE TIME, CHEERS

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
. ..
Eddy Aldrin wrote:
Hi
I'm thinking of a technology retrograde and buying an old Hasselblad
500c/el (always wanted one), but I'm pretty clueless about running costs

for
medium format. Can someone give me an idea of :
1/ film costs by type(b/w, colour, slide) - I'm assuming max 12 shots

at
6x6
2/ Processing costs

Screw that! Jump in mate. You'll love it. Shoot less frames. But
much nicer frames.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Old May 10th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Matt Clara

"j. fabian" wrote in message
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

US$1,000 for a bargain grade 40/4.0? Give me a break.

Don't forget that KEH grades equipment very conservatively. So that
"bargain" (a step above "Ugly", BTW) grade means that first and foremost
the glass is perfect -- they don't sell bad glass. And it will fit
securely. Any obvious dents or whatever are disclosed in their listing,
like "UG+ dent in filter ring".

Yes, agreed, they disclose any real problems, including scratches in glass.

Also remember that the _new_ price of a Zeiss 40mm f/4 is US$5,061 at
B&H.

That does sound like a bargain when you put it that way, but those prices
are what drove me to sell my Rollei 6008i, eventually. At a fraction of the
cost, the mamiya RB/RZ glass isn't far behind (and in some cases, isn't
behind at all).

--
www.mattclara.com

Old May 10th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

"Matt Clara" wrote:
"j. fabian" wrote:
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

US$1,000 for a bargain grade 40/4.0? Give me a break.

Don't forget that KEH grades equipment very conservatively. So that
"bargain" (a step above "Ugly", BTW) grade means that first and foremost
the glass is perfect -- they don't sell bad glass. And it will fit
securely. Any obvious dents or whatever are disclosed in their listing,
like "UG+ dent in filter ring".

Yes, agreed, they disclose any real problems, including scratches in
glass.

BGN by definition includes defects that "probably don't affect lens
performance".

So US$1000 seems a lot to spend for a BGN grade lens. Whatever the lens.

Also, the 'blad 40/4.0 is an uninspired lens (it's been redisigned in with
better sharpness (but more distortion) for the current version), but the
Mamiya 7 43/4.5 is one of the most inspired lenses around. And is only
US$300 more in EX grade.

Also remember that the _new_ price of a Zeiss 40mm f/4 is US$5,061 at
B&H.

As above, that's a different lens. Redesigned to compete with the Fuji
35/3.5 for the Fujiblad.

That does sound like a bargain when you put it that way, but those prices
are what drove me to sell my Rollei 6008i, eventually. At a fraction of
the cost, the mamiya RB/RZ glass isn't far behind (and in some cases,
isn't behind at all).

The 65/4.0 and 110/2.8 RZ lenses are seriously excellent, especially for
landscape work, since their edge performance edges out that of the classic
'blad lenses (although the current 65/3.5 and 100/3.5 for the 'blad are very
good).

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan